Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's spring here in Australia, and yesterday was a really hot day - it was 30 degrees celsius (about 88 degrees Farenheit).

Dog training starts at 9:30am, and by 10:30am, Patch was absolutely wasted. He was so hot, and his poor little white head was turning red so i left the class early. I had put sunscreen on him earlier, but I didn't want to take the risk.

Anyways, at the morning tea break, Patch was drinking some water, and i let him get his head wet.

The trainer told me I should never wet his head because once they go back into the sun, they get a really bad headache and it's really bad for them!!!!!!
Swimming is fine, because their whole body is wet.... but I shouldn't wet his head.

Is this true?

·
Registered
8,671 Posts
When its hot you can also take a hose or spray bottle and spray the dogs testicles and belly. That is what my trainer tells me to do.

·
Registered
78 Posts
hot?

88 degrees is hot? I go outside in pants and long sleeve shirt on those days. :lol:
Try 125 in the summer here and 95 on a cool spring day. hahaha...

Seriously tho, I agree with Cookies Mom wet the paws and underside. Take on of them portable water containers or even just a cheapy plastic bowl and water bottle for you and yer dog.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Lisa said:
When its hot you can also take a hose or spray bottle and spray the dogs testicles and belly. That is what my trainer tells me to do.
Yep... this is exactly how we handle it also. We have brought dogs back from heat stroke using this method.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Re: hot?

fuzytech said:
88 degrees is hot? I go outside in pants and long sleeve shirt on those days. :lol:
Try 125 in the summer here and 95 on a cool spring day. hahaha...

Seriously tho, I agree with Cookies Mom wet the paws and underside. Take on of them portable water containers or even just a cheapy plastic bowl and water bottle for you and yer dog.
No offence fuzytech.... but you can't compare a hot summers day in Australia!
it was 88 degrees in the first week of spring here in Sydney!

in summer.... it's not abnormal for temperatures to be around 45 degrees celcius (113 degrees Farenheit according to www.onlineconvertor.com!!!).

Although, i'm guessing California is pretty darn hot too!

I had to laugh, a few months ago the news in London, UK, was that there was a HEAT WAVE........... so i'm thinking, gees it must have been about 45 degrees.
it was only like 36 degrees, and the brits were complaining! hehehehehe

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
It may *only* reach about 100 degrees here in Houston during the summer, but we have the added bonus of 100% humidity. Ewwww!!

Anyway... I knew a man that worked his dogs on a carpet mill and a ginny (sp?) and swore up and down that clipping the coat right above the tail would help keep the dog cool. Now, even at my young and impressionable age, I thought this rediculous, but he couldnt be convinced otherwise. Seems some good ol dog man told him that, and he believed his word was gold.

Any credibility to this? (He would take a pair of clippers and use a 40 blade.... surgical length, and clip about 2" square where the tail met the back.)

·
Registered
78 Posts
Your right Patch, both of my brothers visited Australia when they were in the navy and although they thought it was hot there also, they said that Afganistan (spell?) which they called the Sand Box was the hotest place they visited.

Now let me tell you, I'm definatelly more use to the heat than anything else. When the temperature drops to 78 you start seeing people around here wearing sweaters!!

·
Banned
1,365 Posts
My dog is sooooo lazy he doesnt leave the couch long enough to over heat..

·
Agent Squint
4,225 Posts
Erica said:
My dog is sooooo lazy he doesnt leave the couch long enough to over heat..
:lol: made me laugh and I think I have a sleepy dog here...Marlee, will only go for a walk when she can be bothered.
:lol:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts