Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

I have 3 dogs. Buying heartguard at the vet is getting expensive- I've heard that some people use an oral med Ivermect or Ivomec.

Do any of you use it? Which is the correct one to buy? Dossage?

Thanks!
Claire

·
Registered
99 Posts
I used to do Ivermectin injections until I learned the REAL dose a dog should get. If you look up in a veterinary drug formulary what the mg/kg doseage is a calculate that into mg/lb it's a miniscule dose! I will see if I can write up the actual dosage calculations later today. A 145lb great dane should only recieve about .10cc, imagine trying to measure that out for a small or medium dog! Heartguard/Iverheart chews look big but they are filled with artificial flavors and stuff to make it solid so the dog will eat it. Be very cautious if you choose to use Ivermectin, also remember it will not prevent any type of intestinal parasites.

Oh, and many hearding breeds are sensitive to Ivermectin and it can cause nerological damage to them or if given in too large a dose.

·
Registered
704 Posts
The ivermectin used for dogs is generally labled as 1% cattle injectable. You do not inject the dogs with it, but dilute it and give it orally. You can either have your vet mix it for you, or you can do so yourself..1 part Ivermectin to 3 parts suspension (veggie oil, propolene glycol, etc.) Remember, 10 mg per ml (1 ml equals a cc)

Here is a dosage guide:

Dogs
As an ectoparasiticide (miticide) to kill mange mites, Scabies or ear mites (Sarcoptes

scabiei/Otodectes cynotis) 0.3 mg/kg by mouth. Repeat in 14 day intervals until healed.

Example: 20 pound dog would get 0.27 ml . this is impossible to dose so you would round up

to .3 ml and give by mouth.

Example: 40 pound dog would get .54 ml. round up to .6 ml and give by mouth.

As an endoparasiticide (roundworms, hookworms and whipworms) Does NOT kill tapeworms.

0.2 mg/kg by mouth once. Do not use in collies.

Example: 20 pound dog would get .18. round up to .2 ml and give by mouth.

Example: 40 pound dog would get .36 ml. round up to .4 ml and give by mouth.

Use a syringe to dose.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Here is the actual amount of Ivomec actually needed for the prevention of heartworms. So for all those that pm’ed me asking for the information, here it is……

The proven dosages are:
Heartworm prevention - 0.003-0.0066 mg/lb
Roundworm - 0.023-0.09 mg/lb
Hookworm - 0.023 mg/lb
Microfilaricide - 0.023-0.09 mg/lb single dose (Let your veterinary treat!)

The proven dosage for a 51-100lbs dog 272mcg. This is the amount of Ivomec in Heartgard (Brown Tablets).
Ivomec 1% solution contains 10,000 mcg (micrograms), which Ivomec delivers in 1mL (cc). A dog only needs 3 mcg of Ivomec, per pound of body weight per month to keep them heartworm free!

So - if 1 cc of Ivomec contains 10,000 mcg, we can bring that number down by mixing it with propylene glycol (don‘t use water, oils, milk, etc. the Ivomec won‘t mixed correctly. So you‘ll never know the amount of Ivomec you‘re actually giving). Which actually works as a carrier agent for the Ivomec. 9 parts - propylene glycol to 1 part Ivomec. That will deliver 1,000 mcg of Ivomec per 1 cc. Then, you only give (orally) 0.1 cc of the mixed Ivomec per 30 lbs of body weight.

***If buying already mixed (Ivermecting to propylene glycol), use a medicine dropper/ear dropper & it's 1 drop per 10lbs IF properly mixed. I suggest heartworm testing once a year regardless of if on heartworm prevention year-round. If you're underdosing, it's best to learn asap.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts