Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay..she has been an Angel up until now...She has chewed up shoes, toys, pencils, a plastic hanger and who knows what she has in her stomach. I am a nervous wreck. She got under Joshees bed and found hidden treasures. I woke up this morning to a mess in Joshua'a room. She slept in there with him last night and chewed up everything listed above. So I have spent all morning cleaning under beds and such. I bought a huge pack of basted bones and put one in every room of the house. Any other suggestions? GAWLEE what a little stinker she is. I swear she smiled at me when I caught her with my flip flop!

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
LuvaBULL said:
Crate her! :D
Oh the dreaded crate...I knew it was coming. I hate to Trina because of how long she has been locked up. I mean I never leave the house without her. It is when we are here and asleep. I know it is a little tough love. I just hate it for her. She has been so good these past days and if you could just see how she responds to a firm "NO" She is terrified. I am going to see what other suggestions I get.
xoxo VONNA

·
Agent Squint
3,627 Posts
Hug~A~Bully said:
LuvaBULL said:
Crate her! :D
Oh the dreaded crate...I knew it was coming. I hate to Trina because of how long she has been locked up. I mean I never leave the house without her. It is when we are here and asleep. I know it is a little tough love. I just hate it for her. She has been so good these past days and if you could just see how she responds to a firm "NO" She is terrified. I am going to see what other suggestions I get.
xoxo VONNA
I would say crate her, but I understand why you don't want to do that when you're there. So, just do what you're doing: Keep the floors and hiding places cleaned up and everything you can out of site, in closets, drawers, etc. And, keep lots of chews and toys that she CAN chew around. The more choices she has that she's allowed to chew the better.

~S

·
Registered
807 Posts
Unless your ready for those 1500-2500 dollar vet visits, then crate her. I worry every day about my dogs getting a blockage and they are all crated while we are not home. Besides they sleep most of the day away.

·
Agent Squint
3,627 Posts
RED said:
Unless your ready for those 1500-2500 dollar vet visits, then crate her. I worry every day about my dogs getting a blockage and they are all crated while we are not home. Besides they sleep most of the day away.
She's talking about when they ARE home, sleeping at night. She doesn't want to crate her then.

~S

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Amocat00 said:
RED said:
She's talking about when they ARE home, sleeping at night. She doesn't want to crate her then.

~S
Yeah Red, I don't have a problem crating her if I was not around but I just don't have it in me to crate her while I am home. I think I am going to try out what I have been doing today for a while and see what happens. Tonight she is sleeping in our room with the door closed so she can't roam the house while we are asleep.
Thanks Amo! I will keep ya posted on how it all works out.

·
Registered
181 Posts
If you don't want to crate her at night, then keep her in the room with you. Proof your room as best you can, close the door or gate it off, give her a bed to sleep on and some (quiet) chew toys. If you need added security, put her bed right by yours and tether her to the bed.

Yes, you'll probably lose a little sleep. But it beats the alternative!

FWIW, used properly, a crate is not "tough love" - it's your dog's den. Her own little room in which she sleeps. Some alternatives to assuage your nerves - get a crate for her and put it in your bedroom - that way she's sleeping with her "pack" AND confined. Or, get an extra-large crate so she's got more room. (We have both for Ozy - his little bedroom crate and his "doggy condo" for when we're not home.)

·
Registered
807 Posts
My bad, attach a leash to the bottom of the bed and attach her to it. Depending on the length of the leash gives you the option on how far she can travel. Thats what I do with the pups if I let them sleep out of their crates. Chassis is special she does not have that kind of treatment. Let her chew something up and back to the crate or leash she goes.

·
Registered
10,116 Posts
I forgot she wouldn't like a crate. Heaven LOVES hers! She just thinks it's the greatest place because she associates it with treats and toys and warm blankets!

·
Registered
5,272 Posts
one word... supervision. if you don't want to crate her then spend $100 and pick up an x-pen. put her in it at night with her toys and you will solve the "chewy" problem.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
LuvaBULL said:
I forgot she wouldn't like a crate. Heaven LOVES hers! She just thinks it's the greatest place because she associates it with treats and toys and warm blankets!
Yeah I don't dare try it. I tried to take her for a ride into town and she went balistic when I tried to close the van door. So we postponed our trip. She has a whole lot of issues. I have my work cut out for me. I don't know what to do with her or where to begin when it comes to her being afraid of everything. She freaked when I was putting a new trash bag in the can. She just need more socialization.

·
Registered
3,876 Posts
it's going to take a lot of time and patience for her to overcome her fears. our AB rescue will never recover fully. :(

she will not walk on tiled floors, she shakes and shivers on the the hardwood (which most of the downstairs is), she barks and growls at our wine glasses.... terrified of guns, not that we have any, or should i say that shoots bullets. we have air soft guns, and just the look of it freaks her out. she can't stand for her feet to be touched at all.

this is one of the questions i'd like for her to anwser if she could, "what happened to you?"

i've been around her know for about 2 years and with lots of treats, toys, walks, drives, and playtime. she has slowly showed us her personality. it's so sad. i have no history on her and neither does my b/f's son.

i hope Zena snaps outta her fears quicker than India. which i believe you'll have a better chance since Zena is younger.

best of luck :wink:

·
Registered
4,500 Posts
I do the leash thing with my JR because if I don't he will pee on things or eat ALL the cat food. It has worked out great.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Are you sure she hasn't got retriever in her. :lol: I guess having a retriever and knowing other retriever owners it becomes the norm for us.
The $2 shops are great to get thick rope toys and balls that can be chewed to your dogs content.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Hi,
My pup Harley finds herself similairly disgraced on a VERY regular basis. If if makes you feel any better, Harley has eaten not only things like shoes and toys, but also my $250 vaccuum cleaner, my cell phone, 2 remote controls, my couch, ... you get the picture. I have learned that she does this almost exclusively when she's bored or stressed. As a result, I make sure bedroom doors are always kept closed, and have 2 baby gates blocking access to the living room, unless an adult can be in there with her. It becomes a force of habit to put your shoes in the closet after you've lost a half dozen pair. When I take my shower, she has to stay in the yard (fenced), or her crate. Harley is 12 months and fully understands SHAME! No further correction is necessary, because all I have to do is point to her lastest misadventure, and she drops her ears and tail, and lays down. I've only had her since Christmas, and she's showing much improvement. It takes alot of dedication to work through. Good Luck!

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
HA! ERMMM THEN THE ENTRY WAY? lol We have 5 kids and there isn't one room without something tasty in it! We have been putting her in the room with us and it is working well. However, My backyard is a different story. Hold on and I will snap a few pictures of the mess she made in just a few minutes outside.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Vonna-Welcome to Vonna's backyard can I take your order?
Zena-Uhmm yes I'll take a trash can lid,

A uhmm...ninja turtle,golf club-no ball or tee please, a pillow, and a small cup, oh yeah and a tupperware container.

Vonna- Will that be all for you today?
Zena-Hold on a minute please...I'll also take a Dallas Cowboys thermal cup,

and a pink flip flop please!

Vonna-Will that be all?
Zena-Yes
Vonna-Please pull forward.

Oh how can you get mad with a look like that!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts