Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Because I keep my dogs and my foster dogs seperate, I frequently close Buster and Sophie up in my bedroom or bathroom for short periods of time (and I mean really short periods, usually only a few minutes). Every time I do this, Buster jumps on the door. He scratches up the new doors and knobs (and frequently locks himself in there in the process :roll: ).

Any ideas on how I correct this when I am not even in the room. Yelling NO doesn't work, because he doesn't know what I'm yelling about.

·
Registered
449 Posts
OK, as you know I am no where near expierience to give advice since I can't even deal with three days of training my own. But my dog was doing this too. I would walk up to the door (not opening it) and of course she would stop, but then after a minute or so of me standing still, she would start up again. I presume she thinks I left. So I took a rolled up magazine and hit it once against the door and gave my command word for her, not NO, but same effect. She would stop immediately because the sound alone would scare her. She'd stop for a few minutes and do it again. I would repeat. I then would let her out when she was quiet and not jumping on the door. She doesn't do it anymore, but like you, I only keep her in there for a few minutes at a time. If I have to at all. She does still whine and bark from time to time. Now I just need to train the puppy to stop doing the same thing. Sorry if this sounds off the wall, but it worked for me.

·
Registered
7,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey, it's worth a shot. I'll give it a try.

The fun part of this story is this: When my ex had Buster, one time he goes out a 1 am in his boxers to take the garbage out. Buster jumps on the door and locks him out. So he's standing outside, in his underwear, at 1 in the morning, and he has to bust his door in to get back in the house. What a moron! :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
8,671 Posts
It's pretty tough to correct a dog when you are not in the same room. :wink: Can't really help ya there.

Do you have crates for your dogs? Maybe when you need to separate them, crate them instead?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts