Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do I make Zeus stop jumping up on me? He mostly just does this when I come home. He is getting huge and he literally knocked me off my feet yesterday then spun around on top of me all happy. Yeah, it was kinda funny but goooood grief. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Silver said:
How do I make Zeus stop jumping up on me? He mostly just does this when I come home. He is getting huge and he literally knocked me off my feet yesterday then spun around on top of me all happy. Yeah, it was kinda funny but goooood grief. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
I have a squirt bottle in the vestibule for just those occaisions. If he jumps up just squirt him. Don't say anything. When he's four on the floor greet him.

Paula

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh Paula, he LOVES for me to squirt him with the water bottle. There is no punishing this beast.
Should I just "try" and ignore him until he is four on the floor? Should I say NO really loud and walk off?

·
Registered
4,666 Posts
If you cross your arms and stare up and don't even look at him intill he stops and when he stops pet him and say hi. I know this sounds stupid but it works, It also works when they bring you a soggy toy and you don't feel like playing!

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey, I'll try anything! Thank you bunches.
Oh, he has also started standing beside MY side of the bed at night barking at me. Wants me to LIFT his 65 pound butt onto the bed. UGH.

·
Registered
4,666 Posts
don't know how to handle the bed thing I have a anti-dog bed. My old man takes up to much of the bed for me to be fighting off a 57lb dog too!

·
Registered
979 Posts
Ignore is much more effective than yelling no because the yelling sometimes over stimulates.

Paula

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OH girl, I know what you mean. Zeus starts off at the foot of the bed then inches his way up until his head is right in between ours. Ridiculous, I've created a monster.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
PaulaEdwina said:
Ignore is much more effective than yelling no because the yelling sometimes over stimulates.

Paula
Yes, I think you are 100% right. I will try the stare up and totally ignore.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Knee

Also lift a knee up when he jumps on you... you need to protect yourself first, and if you meet the dog mid-jump, you'll teach him a quick and effective lesson. Then do the ignore thing!

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the tips! I did the cross the arms, ignore and look up thing yesterday. Worked really good!

·
Registered
269 Posts
Boxer's are notorious "jumpers." I am still battling this one myself with Sibyl, but for Zeus what I did is to walk forward. Sound simple, but they lose their balance when they jump up and you walk into them. If it doesn't work, walk faster.

Also, you mention when you first get home. Another trick is to tell them to "sit" when you see them. They cannot sit and jump at the same time.

In addition to that, the best thing to do is to ignore them. I turn my back to Sibyl until she SEMI-calms, then I tell her to sit, give her affection, and when I see her getting ready to jump again, THEN I walk forward. This three-prong approach seems to work for me.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I agree with francis-If you can anticipate when your dog is going to jump-step towards him/her and take away the space between you. It can be hard because our normal reaction is to lean away, but it does work.

·
Registered
965 Posts
First, I do not pay attention or give affection to any of my dogs for the first ten to fifteen minutes that I am home. It helps reduce the anxiety of you coming and going everyday. Also, I taught all my guys to "place" when anyone comes in the door. This means they all have to go to a predetermined spot (i.e. their bed, their crate, etc.). It makes it alot less of a hassle to have guests come in. Also, I'm sure it would be pretty intimidating to have four hundred pounds of dog in your face, as soon as you walk in the door.
Once they are calm and I am settled, I call them to me for affection. This is on my terms. I do not allow them to solicite attention, this gives them the control. Remember, the alpha calls the pack to them and dictates everything (feeding, walks, affection, play, etc.). I even dictate the order that my dogs eat, and all five of them eat side by side (spaced six inches apart). They all sit patiently and calmly till I put down their bowl and give them their release command. They are released to eat by order of calmness. This helps to reinforce the mindset that they have to remain calm before getting anything.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I use the knee too. I guess it's just another way of taking away their space. It doesn't hurt them, but is probably just as annoying to them as jumping is to us. The punishment should fit the crime.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I ignore Storm when she jumps, using my body to nudge her down. I wait a little bit and then tell her to sit, once she's sat for me then I acknowledge her.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I had this exact problem with Obi (still do occasionally)I tried ignoring him at first, turning my back on him, but he just jumped up my back and one time he left my back bleeding really badly when he drew his claws down my back, after that I talked to my dog trainer about it and she recommended getting down to his level and holding either side of his collar until he has all 4 on the floor, when he has all 4 down, stroke him gently and praise him. I found this really really effective, although he has the occasional lapse, it seemed to do the trick after about a week.

Hope this helps :)

Fee x x

1 - 19 of 19 Posts