Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Iwas just wondering what people thought of staffords as working dogs ?? are they used for shultzhound,protection, bite work ???

·
Registered
720 Posts
I have seen a few SBT's with schutzhund titles but I have never seen an american staffordshire terrier I think the AKC has just bread them to be to good natured. I am not saying that there are none I am just saying I never seen one and I have been doing it for a few years.

The few SBT's I have seen did real well they had a super hard full bite and they was realy fast.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My bitch is a SBT and i am interested in doing further training after her obediance course . But in Australia we lack extra activites for the dogs other then protection but i dont know if thats the right choice

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah shes a staffordshire bull terrier
ova here in Australia we dont have weight pulling which really sucks because im extremely interested in that sport :(
we dont even have a dog park in my state that im aware of it sux :twisted:

·
Registered
197 Posts
In my experience Staffordshire Bull Terriers dont make good protections dogs. They are best suited to licking people to death :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
71 Posts
If im not mistaken staffie bulls can make hell of pull dogs and because they are small can pull many many tiems their body weight. Even if there are no competitions in Australia for it you can still do it yourself with your dog. I doubt i will ever go to a competition, i just want to have an activity with my dog and WP looks really fun.

·
Registered
251 Posts
In my experience Staffordshire Bull Terriers dont make good protections dogs. They are best suited to licking people to death
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: How very true

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
Staffy do very good protection work as long as they have the nerve. They were breed for working, of course they do it well. A good well nerved one. I have seen many

·
Registered
197 Posts
Tia said:
Staffy do very good protection work as long as they have the nerve. They were breed for working, of course they do it well. A good well nerved one. I have seen many
Hi,

I have never seen a Staffordshire Bull Terrier that would do anything other than lick you to death. :lol: The Staffordshire Bull Terrier was bred to be dog aggressive not human :wink: If anyone has had any sucsess with one in this field of work i would love to hear about it :D

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
I also know 3 guys in Ontario with great staffords from the same breeder who are all very well natured and GREAT working dogs. Axel,Steiner and Boots!!!

·
Registered
101 Posts
Tia said:
i dont think theres such a thing as a staffi without nerve :?: . they`re fearless. but they really do love humans to death, so that is your biggest hurdle. i think my ziggy would rather run off with intruder than bite him :lol:

·
Registered
8,671 Posts
i dont think theres such a thing as a staffi without nerve Question . they`re fearless. but they really do love humans to death, so that is your biggest hurdle. i think my ziggy would rather run off with intruder than bite him Laughing
You can't be serious? Good NERVE is something that is lacking in ALL breeds. Finding a dog that not only has the drive to do man work but also the NERVE is an extremely rare find. Make a visit to a dog show and take a look around and see all the tail tucking nerve bags. Bad nerves is not breed specific you see it in all the breeds. You can thank all the backyard breeders breeding for looks and $$$ for a big part of that.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Tia said:
I also know 3 guys in Ontario with great staffords from the same breeder who are all very well natured and GREAT working dogs. Axel,Steiner and Boots!!!
Could you PM me with the breeder's name? I know someone looking for a working Staffy.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Lisa said:
i dont think theres such a thing as a staffi without nerve Question . they`re fearless. but they really do love humans to death, so that is your biggest hurdle. i think my ziggy would rather run off with intruder than bite him Laughing
You can't be serious? Good NERVE is something that is lacking in ALL breeds. Finding a dog that not only has the drive to do man work but also the NERVE is an extremely rare find. Make a visit to a dog show and take a look around and see all the tail tucking nerve bags. Bad nerves is not breed specific you see it in all the breeds. You can thank all the backyard breeders breeding for looks and $$$ for a big part of that.
are you for real?
i dont see much tail tucking at uk bully shows. but i do see a lot of staffi owners standing 15ft apart whilst their dogs strain at the leash! it results in them shouting to each other instead of a good old fasion chin wag. shyness is definatley not a staffi trait! are you a staffi owner?? doesn`t sound like it to me :lol:

UKC standard.
Temperament
Bold, fearless and totally reliable.

even in the show ring this is a trait that is expected of them. :wink:

·
Registered
8,671 Posts
HUH? So what are you saying? Are you saying that the reason Staffie owners at bully shows in the UK stand far apart is because their is a potential for dog aggression? Is that what you are talking about? I thought we were talking about nerve but I guess you are talking about something else? At least thats what it seems like. Please enlgihten me because you have me very confused. :-k

·
Registered
101 Posts
Lisa said:
HUH? So what are you saying? Are you saying that the reason Staffie owners at bully shows in the UK stand far apart is because their is a potential for dog aggression? Is that what you are talking about? I thought we were talking about nerve but I guess you are talking about something else? At least thats what it seems like. Please enlgihten me because you have me very confused. :-k
staffis by nature wanna meet everyone and every thing. but not all dogs are friendly. what i`m saying is an agressive dog could do alot of damage too my boy before hed get the message that he was in danger. he ignores warnings. and yes, as a matter of fact they do stand appart because of the testosterone in the air. its sometimes better to air on the side of caution. its not like taking your dog to the park. its not a normal circumstancewhat your definition of nerve? we may have our wires crossed :?

·
Registered
8,671 Posts
UKC standard.
Temperament
Bold, fearless and totally reliable.

even in the show ring this is a trait that is expected of them. Wink
Just because the standard says they are supposed to be a certain way doesn't mean they are all like that! Far from it in fact! Look at th American Bulldog for example, originally bred for COURAGE. Take a look around, the vast majority DON'T have courage. WHY? Because the vast majority of people breeding them are breeding them for all the wrong reasons...looks and money!! Most don't give a rats ass about temperament and that is what is ruining so many working breeds. Expose a dog to enough stress and chances are you will see many weaknesses you otherwise never would have thought your dog had. It's easy for a person to say their dog has nerve and courage if they have never really tested them! I know there are some good Staffies out there, don't get me wrong, but to say they all have good nerve is ridiculous. If this was the case every working dog person would own one!

On edit. I just saw your new post. When I say the term "nerve" I mean the dogs ability to handle stress and work through it. :D

1 - 20 of 33 Posts