Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

I was just curious how you get started showing an English Bulldog? We don't want to breed him necessarily (actually we are sure it's something we would never do), but would still love to do something with him....is it just silly to show him, but not breed him? Should we just strictly keep him as our family companion, and not bother showing him? His dad did very well in the ring, and he has really great pedigree, he's gorgeous, and I think it would be really fun to get into. I know this breed is definetly not the most active, but I still think it would be good to get him engaged in something!?!

What do you all think??

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
There are a lot of people on here that know a lot more than I do but if you want to show him then show him. It could be a blast but from what I can tell it can be addictive :lol: I am sure there is a lot of work that goes on behind the scenes that we don't know about i you don't mind the work then why not? .......As for breeding, in my opinion if you don't want breed your dog don't. I have had a ton of people ask me if I am goin to breed Tora,my AB, and my answer is there is a lot more work involved in that then meets the eye. My answer is no it is more then I can handle.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I totally agree Angie!! I think the only way I would even consider becoming a breeder personally is if I had like over 15 years experience with EBs, and my daughter was grown so I could really have the time to dedicate, and even still it would have to be something I thought long and hard about. I know that from even just looking for our EB there is a lot of ugly that goes on, and there is no way I would ever contribute to that. There are a lot of great breeders out there, but a lot of really aweful too.

I think that showing him could be a lot of fun though.....as long as he turns out to be the type of dog that strives off of it, but if he doesn't emjoy it as well then I wouldn't push the issue, LOL. I wonder how many people show just for the sake of showing though??

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
I'm not sure but I have two friends in the show world. They love it. I'd go to AKC for pointers on how to get started showing. Or ask his breeder, they might know. Find a show and attend it, and hook up with others there, too...

·
Registered
704 Posts
The easiest and best way to get involved is to find a mentor. Contact the AKC or check thier website for the local bulldog club in your area (a sub group of the Bulldog Club of America). There should be a list of breeders/exhibitors within the club. Start making calls to them and find out if any of them are willing to help teach you the ins and outs of showing. It is a ton of fun and definitely addicting!

If you decide not to show, agility, rally-o, therapy work..any of these activities can be a fun way to get involved with your dogs.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Kudos for you deciding you don't want to breed!
8)
Remember that if you decide to show, you will have to keep her intact and deal with her heats, period, etc.
I personally can't understand why you can't show a fixed dog, if you don't plan on breeding them.
I wanted to get my pom into some minor showing, but I knew that spaying her was best so I didn't do it.

I would find someone to mentor you, does your dog's breeder show because that would be the ideal person.
Remember that showing takes alot of time and money, you have to travel around to get your points.
You have to learn how to properly show/stack your dog, unless you hire a pro handler.
Some pro handlers travel the country with different breeds and take the dogs to their different shows.
That way you can continue to work normally and someone else can show your dog across the country.

·
Registered
704 Posts
I personally can't understand why you can't show a fixed dog, if you don't plan on breeding them.
The reason for conformation shows is to find out how your dog stacks up in the breed and if it is structurally breedworthy. I would love to see a fun conformation class for altered dogs, but having altered dogs show against possible breeding stock would anger alot of folks and be a waist of time. There are many activities other than conformation to do with your dogs....if you don't plan on breeding, conformation shows would'nt really be worth your time.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Do they have a show for altered pure bred dogs?
Not that my girl is show quailty anyway, it would be fun to do.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think I have heard of for fun shows for mix breed dogs even, so maybe there are some just for fun ones (I kind of doubt that they would be easy to find though)??
Carrie, thanks for the tips, and that therapy work sounds like a GREAT idea, and I'm going to check into it for sure!!! I'm not to sure what they have for it around here, but I'm sure there must be something? I don't know about rally for an English bulldog though, does that actually exist? I guess I still have a few months to think about what we should do. Thanks for the tips! :)

·
Registered
979 Posts
The easist way to start into conformation is to visit your local all breed kennel club (or specific breed kennel club). They tend to have conformation classes and show and go stuff (not for points). The classified in some dog magazines have schedules of shows and you can check them out too.

I don't know if AMBOR is still around, but that was a mixed breed organization that had all kinds of competition like shows and obedience. Purely for kicks of course. I think you have to prove your dog is speutered.

Paula

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
LMAO...."My EB, Shrek, is an athletic little turd..always on the go..sometimes I wish i could nail his paws to the floor!". Carrie, I just think you have super dogs!!! Girl, what have you been feeding them?? LOL. :lol:

Where do you go to find agility/rally-o for EBs?? I don't know if too many other pure bred EBs would be able to keep up with Shrek? Is there actually agility, and rally competitions for EBs to compete against eachother in?

·
Registered
704 Posts
I know they do have the Bullylympics somewhere on the east coat (NY maybe?)

As far as just rally-o and agility in general, they are open to all breeds (not breed specific), and you should be able to contact some local trainers/vets/boarding kennels/breeders..anyone in your area who does these things with thier dogs and they could help you with dates,times, training, etc. It doesn't matter where your dog places..just as long as it's safe and you have fun in the process! I'm looking at a Bulldog calendar right now showing two EB's running an agility course..it's possible!

Shrek..what can I say...his breeders get the credit for putting some awesome dogs together...I just keep him lean and active! He eats Royal Canin Bulldog Formula and gets glucosamine/chondroiton/msm, ester-c and fish oil as a supplement. He also LOVES fruit..bananas especially (lets just say he goes "bananas" for bananas!LOL!)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.