Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just thought I would say hello, i rescued a (what i believe to be) american bulldog last night and am trying to gather info on them. I have heard nothing but praises about these dogs, and BUDDY seems to be a great pup. I am estimating him to be around 8-10 months, he is under weight, infested with fleas and sores. He was left in a house that noone lived in and was fed about once a week to two weeks, he was kept in a cage and when he was allowed out he was chained for a short time. He only knows sit, and walks on a leash very well, he is great with my kids (16 months and 5 months). So far I am planning on keeping him and not adopting him out.

The only issue that i am having with him is he goes bezerk when i am not around, I tried a crate (he is not housebroken) when i went to work but he just popped the top off in the front and got out. I know about the whole comfort thing and being in new surroundings, but he is trying to come head first through the door, and am concerned about him injuring himself. Any help in this area would be greatly appreciated.
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/roughneck_inc/detail?.dir=/a5e7re2&.dnm=2b9fre2.jpg&.src=ph

hope the pic works

·
Registered
520 Posts
8) what a dude

I dont have any advice except having had such a hard time before he will need lots of patience but you know that all ready.I hope you both get over this little problem in time :D

·
Banned
3,504 Posts
He's a very good lookin' boy! Glad you were able to take him in! As far as the crate issues, I think it's just going to take time and patience. Whenever you are at home (not going to be gone for the day), I'd try putting him in the crate for short periods of time, leave the room and once he settles down a bit, come back, let him out, lots of prise and treats. Do this several times a day...eventually he'll realize you ARE coming back, unlike his previous situation. You'll probably have to figure out a way to reinforce the crate so he can't bust out...I know a few people on the board have had the same issue, so hopefully they'll see this thread and give you some ideas. Also, getting him good and tired before you put him in the crate for the day will probably help some too...a nice long walk and a good play session before going in the crate should help a lot. I know Rocket (my AB) is much less likely to misbehave in any situation when he's too tired to get bored and mischevious!

Good luck and let's see some more pics! :D

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hopefully one those people does see it. i came home today and he had bent the door to get out, but one good sign is he did not go to the bathroom in the room we keep him in. I am going to try to cover the kennel (after i fix it) cuz it seems as though he is trying to get to the window, just judging by the way items were pushed out of the way.

Those pics are of when I brought him home, I will get more in a couple weeks to show his status.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, that did help. I had forgotten some of the kennel tricks, have not needed them in over a year since my last 2 bulldog rescues. i had forgotten about the shirt idea, I am gonna try that tonight. I have one of those large petsmart kennels, plastic with the metal door, so i will have to figure out how to secure the door.

·
Super Moderator
16,005 Posts
Good luck - he is just scared right now and needs lots of love, patience and calming.
Give him lots of hugs, that always makes them feel more secure and always tell him when you put in him his crate, "I love you, be a good boy, see you later". This is a good sound to them and after awhile they recognize it as something telling them that you will be back.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just to let you all know, "BUDDY" has now been named: GUNNER. Gunner is doing great, we are making great strides with him, he got another flea bath today, gave up his belly, and when my son opened the gate Gunner did not leave the rest of the yard. Still tryin to work on the separation anxiety though, but all in all I have rescued a great dog and believe he is going to be a permanent part of my family.

With these AB what is an average weight that an 8-10 month one should weigh, I don't want to over or under do it??
Almost forgot, shoulder height too please.......

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I weighed and measured him again today and he is 23" at the shoulders and 70lbs, so I am hopin he is where he needs to be............
Here is a pic of him gettin comfortable in his new home.....

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Nope, the crate issue has not been resolved......the other day i tried puttin him in the garage, (futon, fan, radio) and that did not work either......It is just some seperation anxiety, so a little time and reassurance should do the trick..........

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Name change: He is now called "Country".........He did not respond well to Gunner, and I wanted something a little different..........

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
He sounds perfect height and weight! He is going to be a big boy if he keeps growing! Make sure you have him on a good food... there is a sticky thread in the health sections about all different foods

I am sorry about the crate issue. Not sure if you have tried the little bit at a time thing. If not, give that shot, it should work nicely. Some people even feed their dogs in their crates to show that it is a good place

·
Registered
4 Posts
Gunner Country :)

Roughneck,
Hope things are settling down in your latest rescue. We had the same problem when we rescued our guy. He would break out of any kennel, and in fact even went through several glass windows. It was "not pretty." We were almost at our wit's end, because who can be home 24/7? But my husband just kept reinforcing the kennel to where he couldn't get out of it, and we tried not to keep him in there any longer than we needed to. After about 3 months, he calmed down and eventually I would let him be out of the kennel with no one home, at first for only 10 or 15 minutes, several times.

Now he waits patiently for us to come home from work for his daily walks and he's extremely happy and a wonderful family dog. Not very nice to other male dogs, though, so we do have to watch that. It just took him a while to figure out he could trust us and wasn't being left in a closed up room by himself way too long...

Good luck!

Here's our guy -- we've only had him 9 mos and he's definitely a permanent part of the family!!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
UPDATE

Well, Country is doin great.......

the only problem I got is him jumpin the fence, which is few and far between....But 2 of the last 3 times animal control has been called(damn squirrels).....

i would have some new pics but my camera is not workin.....

oh, and the other problem I am havin is the "hey, you want to breed him?" and the kids leanin over my fence tryin to pet him.......

1 - 15 of 15 Posts