Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
Joined
·
6,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So tonight, Dennis gets home from work, and Justice had really bad diarrhea. This is the 3rd time this month. He cleaned out her kennel, and put her outside. We didn't feed her supper and gave her fresh water. Then we went out for a bit. In the 2 hours we were gone, she had pooed in her kennel again. It's really runny, nothing solid. She hasn't gotten into anything that could have made her sick that we know of. We keep our trash can in a closet so she can't get into that, our counters are kept clear of food. All of our cleaning products are in closets or cabinets that latch and are hard to open. We also haven't given her any toys that she could tear up and swallow pieces of. We are going to withhold her food for 24 hours and then give her some boiled rice and chicken.

The thing that has me really concerned is the amount of shedding she's doing. When Dennis pulled her kennel out to clean it, there was a ring of her fur all the way around the kennel. It was so much fur, that it looked like the carpet was stained with urine(due to her color). This had to have happened recently, as I just vacuumed the downstairs a week and a half ago(we haven't spent much time in the basement lately.) She's been kind of lethargic lately, and with her looking as if she's losing weight, and now her fur, I'm really concerned.

Any ideas as to what this could be? She's got a vet appt in less than a week. I'm really hoping it's nothing serious. Dennis is so upset with everything(everything being her vomiting, diarrhea, destructiveness, housebreaking, lack of training that he NEVER helps with, etc.), that he's wanting to go back to having just Haus. :( It has me really upset because I love Justice to pieces and don't want to give her up, but he brought up something that got me thinking. The rescue we got her from has never called to check on her, verified that we've taken her to the vet, done a home check or anything. He thinks they knew she had a pre-existing condition and didn't tell us. I think he's crazy, but maybe he's right? So please, if anyone has any ideas, I would really appreciate it. It would save my sanity.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
6,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, we withheld food, and had her sleep in her kennel last night. I come downstairs to her kennel being full of diarrhea again. It had to have happened after 5 am last night and before 8:15 this morning. The reason I know after 5 am, is because we had to have the gas company come out last night. We had our whole house fan on, and the next thing I know, my stairwell smelled like gas! So at 2 am, I called the gas company and they said they'd have someone out within the hour. No big deal, even though I had to work at 8:45 am. Well, 3:30 rolls around, and still no one. I called back, and find out they had to get someone from Morris, IL and that he'd be there within another hour. He finally gets to my house at 4:30 am, and starts looking around. No gas leak, so we don't know what caused the odor. :(

Anyway, back to Justice. I remember reading somewhere that canned pumpkin is good for upset tummies. Is that right or am I imagining things? I just want her to be ok....

:(
 

· Registered
Joined
·
6,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Rue said:
Justice is a very pretty girl.
How long have you had her?
The chicken and rice should keep her eating if she stops eating I would get her in to see the vet sooner if you can.
Have you changed her food recently? that might cause diarrhea or she might have eaten a weed out side
Hope she feels better soon
We got her June 3rd of this year.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
6,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Justice's food has not changed since we got her. She and Haus are both fed Diamond Lamb and Rice. They are fed from stainless steel bowls. I just don't understand, and want her to be well again. I'm ready to pull my hair out. I need a vacation..... :(
 

· Registered
Joined
·
6,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
nanniesrock said:
Oh that sucks. Sorry for the useless post.
Never a useless post! Others might be having the same problem, and it could have happened. Magnus does not eat the same as Haus and Justice, but his food is kept behind a closed door. I'm not frustrated with anyone, just with everything that's been going on.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
6,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
msvette2u said:
HausMommy said:
Well, we withheld food, and had her sleep in her kennel last night. I come downstairs to her kennel being full of diarrhea again. It had to have happened after 5 am last night and before 8:15 this morning. The reason I know after 5 am, is because we had to have the gas company come out last night. We had our whole house fan on, and the next thing I know, my stairwell smelled like gas! So at 2 am, I called the gas company and they said they'd have someone out within the hour. No big deal, even though I had to work at 8:45 am. Well, 3:30 rolls around, and still no one. I called back, and find out they had to get someone from Morris, IL and that he'd be there within another hour. He finally gets to my house at 4:30 am, and starts looking around. No gas leak, so we don't know what caused the odor. :(

Anyway, back to Justice. I remember reading somewhere that canned pumpkin is good for upset tummies. Is that right or am I imagining things? I just want her to be ok....

:(
Kaopectate would be good for her at this point. Canned pumpkin can work, don't get the kind with spices, make sure it is just pumpkin. But I'd be for giving her some Kaopectate or Pepto Bismol.
How much Pepto? I have that at home. And would it be a bad idea to give her boiled chicken and rice? She hasn't had food since yesterday morning, and with her being so thin, I don't want to withhold food. :(
 

· Registered
Joined
·
6,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

· Registered
Joined
·
6,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for those links! I will be getting a pill cutter and some pepto tablets. I think those will be easier than liquid. Plus, I have maximum strength at home, and it says to use regular.

I've come to the conclusion that I need a live in vet.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
6,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Thanks! I came home from work today(was at work for 6 hours) and she had pooed in her crate, again. It's solid this time though, with only a little bit of liquid. Her activity level is up(she was jumping and running and very alert). I'm going to give her a small bit of boiled rice and chicken tonight, and wait and see if that helps.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
6,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Justice had really runny poo again this morning. It was all over her kennel, her, the wall, and the carpet. :( I guess it's more pepto for her.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
6,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Thanks for the suggestions guys.

Pat, Justice's symptoms are diarrhea and hairloss. She hasn't thrown up lately. She's not acting lethargic, or sluggish, and has no problem eating. There's no yellowish tint to her eyes or gums, and her diarrhea isn't bloody. I'm going to call the emergency vet and see what they suggest.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
6,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Kelly said:
HausMommy said:
Thanks for the suggestions guys.

Pat, Justice's symptoms are diarrhea and hairloss. She hasn't thrown up lately. She's not acting lethargic, or sluggish, and has no problem eating. There's no yellowish tint to her eyes or gums, and her diarrhea isn't bloody. I'm going to call the emergency vet and see what they suggest.

Did you call the vet? What did they say?
They told me to stop giving her the Pepto, and bring her in if she starts to act lethargic, or vomits. Otherwise, I'm supposed to talk to my vet about it on Thursday when they have their appt.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
6,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Kelly said:
gazar said:
HausMommy said:
Kelly said:
HausMommy said:
Thanks for the suggestions guys.

Pat, Justice's symptoms are diarrhea and hairloss. She hasn't thrown up lately. She's not acting lethargic, or sluggish, and has no problem eating. There's no yellowish tint to her eyes or gums, and her diarrhea isn't bloody. I'm going to call the emergency vet and see what they suggest.

Did you call the vet? What did they say?
They told me to stop giving her the Pepto, and bring her in if she starts to act lethargic, or vomits. Otherwise, I'm supposed to talk to my vet about it on Thursday when they have their appt.

Glad she does not have the diamond food symptoms. If they do not want you to
give her the Pepto what did they suggest you could do until your appointment.
At least give her some Pedyalite to keep system in order and maybe some canned
or fresh chicken broth for liquid to help keep her from getting dehydrated.
Give her hugs. Thursday sure does seem a long time away.
:(

I bet Thursday does seem like a long ways off.
I am curious as well what you are to give her if not pepto.
She cant go on till Thursday having the runs :roll:
Well she had diarrhea again this morning. Poor thing! I called and had her vet appt bumped up to today at 10 am. That's less than 2 hours. I'm not going to have a stool sample for her though :(
 

· Registered
Joined
·
6,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Even though Justice was wormed before we got her, she has hookworms. The vet gave us a dewormer for her and Haus(he didn't have any). She also got an antibiotic to help get her intestinal bacteria under control. I'm supposed to take her back in in a month to have them check her again.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
6,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
I'm glad that it was only hookworms. I was imagining some horrible disease, and I was terrified we were going to lose her. :(

We're going to keep her on a bland diet for the next couple of days to keep her tummy settled. Then it will be just the Diamond, no treats or anything.

They're both resting in their kennels now. Poor Justice, I had to give her 5 1/2 pills. :(
 

· Registered
Joined
·
6,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
augrad said:
I'm glad you found the cause and it's easily treatable. Even though they treated her for worms, they probably didn't treat for hooks. The most common wormer is Strongid, and it doesn't kill everything. They gave you some for Haus because hooks are contagious. :?

She'll be feeling better soon! :D
Hooks are contagious, but Haus is on Iverhart for his HW. It also prevents hookworms. So he didn't have any, but we're still worming him just in case! And the wormer they used on her was Drontal(I think). The vet said it was a really good wormer, but with her weakened immune system(from her flea and tick infestation before she was rescued), she was susceptible to them. Most likely she got it on a walk. I'm glad that it was only hookworms and not something else. I was so concerned!
 

· Registered
Joined
·
6,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
UGH!!!! I can't seem to win for losing! Went home for lunch, and Haus has diarrhea now! I'm hoping it's just from the dewormer we gave him yesterday. I really can't take much more of it! Needless to say, I didn't eat lunch.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
6,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
I just have to take it moment by moment. I called the vet, I'm waiting on her to call me back.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
6,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
Ok, so I'm really starting to lose respect for this vet. She called me back and recommended that I put Haus on the same antibiotics that Justice is on now. I asked her if there were any natural remedies that I could try first, and she mentioned canned pumpkin and yogurt. So I'm going to try that for a day and see how he's feeling. Same with Justice.
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top