Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
41 - 57 of 57 Posts

· Registered
4,670 Posts
HausMommy said:
Even though Justice was wormed before we got her, she has hookworms. The vet gave us a dewormer for her and Haus(he didn't have any). She also got an antibiotic to help get her intestinal bacteria under control. I'm supposed to take her back in in a month to have them check her again.
Bella got worms all the time when she was a puppy, even though she was wormed repeatedly. I think it had a lot to do with how weak her immune system was, though. If you're not already doing this, you might want to mix in some plain yogurt with Justice's food, as antiobiotics tend to kill even the good bacteria in the intestines. I hope she starts feeling better soon!

· Registered
6,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
I'm glad that it was only hookworms. I was imagining some horrible disease, and I was terrified we were going to lose her. :(

We're going to keep her on a bland diet for the next couple of days to keep her tummy settled. Then it will be just the Diamond, no treats or anything.

They're both resting in their kennels now. Poor Justice, I had to give her 5 1/2 pills. :(

· Registered
5,685 Posts
I'm glad you found the cause and it's easily treatable. Even though they treated her for worms, they probably didn't treat for hooks. The most common wormer is Strongid, and it doesn't kill everything. They gave you some for Haus because hooks are contagious. :?

She'll be feeling better soon! :D

· Registered
6,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
augrad said:
I'm glad you found the cause and it's easily treatable. Even though they treated her for worms, they probably didn't treat for hooks. The most common wormer is Strongid, and it doesn't kill everything. They gave you some for Haus because hooks are contagious. :?

She'll be feeling better soon! :D
Hooks are contagious, but Haus is on Iverhart for his HW. It also prevents hookworms. So he didn't have any, but we're still worming him just in case! And the wormer they used on her was Drontal(I think). The vet said it was a really good wormer, but with her weakened immune system(from her flea and tick infestation before she was rescued), she was susceptible to them. Most likely she got it on a walk. I'm glad that it was only hookworms and not something else. I was so concerned!

· Registered
11,496 Posts
Did the vet say that it was the worms that caused the hair loss, too?
I suppose the hair loss came from her losing so much nutrients due
to diarreah.
Whew, glad it's only worms after reading about what could cause cronic diarreah. Some causes were really life-threatening.
She will feel better in no time!

· Registered
6,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
UGH!!!! I can't seem to win for losing! Went home for lunch, and Haus has diarrhea now! I'm hoping it's just from the dewormer we gave him yesterday. I really can't take much more of it! Needless to say, I didn't eat lunch.

· Registered
6,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
I just have to take it moment by moment. I called the vet, I'm waiting on her to call me back.

· Registered
1,212 Posts
HausMommy said:
UGH!!!! I can't seem to win for losing! Went home for lunch, and Haus has diarrhea now! I'm hoping it's just from the dewormer we gave him yesterday. I really can't take much more of it! Needless to say, I didn't eat lunch.
#-o Murphy's law. Hope Haus feels better now.

· Registered
6,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
Ok, so I'm really starting to lose respect for this vet. She called me back and recommended that I put Haus on the same antibiotics that Justice is on now. I asked her if there were any natural remedies that I could try first, and she mentioned canned pumpkin and yogurt. So I'm going to try that for a day and see how he's feeling. Same with Justice.

· Registered
1,069 Posts
I'm glad you got it figured out!!
I might add that this is the problem with asking forums to help diagnose one's dog, we can only guess and you get like 20 different opinions, nothing replaces a vet visit! Not that you weren't going to take her anyway but I know others really depend on forums and neglect taking the dog to a vet!

41 - 57 of 57 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.