Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I guess this is the section for this??

I am going back home for the summer on saturday (so I'll get there sunday) and so Kate will have to meet our new family dog. Her name is Page and she is an American Foxhound. From what my mom has said.... she is a very sweet dog, she is a year or a year and a half. Very submissive and loves to play with our neighbor dogs (they even just leave the gates open so they can all go into each others yards) but she is very high engery.... but granted she has pretty much lived at a shelter her whole life and my parents just got her back in April I think it was, so she is still getting settled.

After reading somethings on here and watching a certain episode of the dog whisperer.... this is how I plan on introducing them. Please let me know if there is anything i should add:

My mom is going to put Kate's crate out this week to get Page used to having it around.
When I am I am about 30 min outside of Des moines on Sunday, my mom is going to take Page for a run to get her tired out. Then when I arrive, my mom is going to take Kate for a run to get her tired out, especially after being in the car for so long.
Then we are going to take them both on a walk together, keep them close to us so they are just walking together. Once they stop pulling towards each other (assuming they will) keep walking with them walking nicely.
For the meet, I believe Kate is the dominant one of the two, from what my mom has said about Page and from my mom knowing both Kate and Page. So I will have Page sit and keep her as still as possible and have Kate smell her and make the first moves and then just take it slowly from there.

How does that sound?

·
Registered
11,423 Posts
Sounds very smart, Johanna. You've got a good head on your shoulders. Much better than just throwing the two together. Best of luck. :D

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Sounds pretty good to me. Getting them tired out is a good idea. Sometimes you can plan and do as much possible to make a meeting easy, but I find it either will go well or it won't. As long as your right there keeping watch, I'm sure you'll be fine. Just look for the signs so you can seperate before anything can happen. I'm sure you already know this though. :wink:

Good luck!

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanx guys!

I'm sure it will work out since Page is very laid back and easy going, and definitly not a dominant breed. I guess my real worry is that Kate won't leave her alone!! she does that with my aunts dogs... always poking them with her nose to run. but I think once she has lived with Page for a few days that will pass

1 - 4 of 4 Posts