Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
11,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm taking him to the vet at #:00 toady, I'm afraid he may have mange! :cry: He's not itchy but he does have a bald spot on his side that's getting bigger. I'm hoping it's just allergies, but I think it could be Demodex. I'll let you know later.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Wow - I do hope it's just allergies.

How do dogs get mange - I know what happens with mange but I never knew how they get it

·
Registered
11,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
L & L said:

How do dogs get mange - I know what happens with mange but I never knew how they get it
I guess it's caused by mites. All I know is it can be expensive and difficult to treat. :(

·
Registered
52 Posts
poor thing - sounds itchy. I wondered if it was mites of some kind of a bacteria. Good luck - let us know

·
Registered
11,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Leeann.Bella.Remy said:
Poor guy! Hope all goes well at the vet's. Demondex may be expensive to treat now, but allergies can be expensive to treat for a lifetime!
Yeah, you're right...so either way I'm screwed! Thanks Leeann! LOL :lol:

He is not itching, but I've read that Demodex doesn't always cause them to itch.

·
Registered
6,755 Posts
Kasco said:
Leeann.Bella.Remy said:
Poor guy! Hope all goes well at the vet's. Demondex may be expensive to treat now, but allergies can be expensive to treat for a lifetime!
Yeah, you're right...so either way I'm screwed! Thanks Leeann! LOL :lol:

He is not itching, but I've read that Demodex doesn't always cause them to itch.
LOL! I didn't mean it like that! I was just implying that if I were you, I'd almost rather it be demodex. ;) Bella had really bad allergies as a young pup, but she's mostly outgrown them, thank God!

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
Kasco said:
L & L said:

I guess it's caused by mites. All I know is it can be expensive and difficult to treat. :(
is there any way to prevent it or just kind of like a bug, they just happen sometimes?

but I'm sorry Karen! There is a good chance for allegies though with the time of the year so hopefully!

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Kate said:
Kasco said:
L & L said:

is there any way to prevent it or just kind of like a bug, they just happen sometimes?

but I'm sorry Karen! There is a good chance for allegies though with the time of the year so hopefully!
Demodex is literally a "bug" it is a mite. They get into the hair folicles. All dogs have these but their immune system overrides it and keeps them from affecting the dog. However, dogs with illness, weak immune system, pups, etc sometimes may succom to them and it is a pretty long treatment process. Deuce has it and he has been on meds for a month so far and he still has it. Good luck with Chopper.

·
Registered
11,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks everyone. I'll post as soon as we get back. Deucesmommy, did they give you an answer right away or did it take time to test the skin scraping? Your post about Deuce was actually what made me suspect Chopper may have it.

·
Registered
11,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks Gazar. I know alot of people on here have been through it. Hopefully I'll come back with good news. I just never thought...my dog....mange. Ugh.

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
I had to chuckle cause when you put the time you had #:00 so I was staring at my keyboard looking for that.....LOL

Anyway hope all goes well.Please let us know what happens.

·
Registered
11,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Kelly said:
I had to chuckle cause when you put the time you had #:00 so I was staring at my keyboard looking for that.....LOL

Anyway hope all goes well.Please let us know what happens.
LOL I didn't notice I did that. His appt was at 3:00 and we just got back. He DOES NOT have mange. The problem is what is it? The vet took a blood sample, she thinks it could be a thyroid problem. I won't know until next week sometime. I'll let you all know as soon as I hear anything.

Poor Chopper. He was such a baby. He had to be muzzled cause he tried to bite the vet and the tech. And oh, did he cry when they took the blood. And BTW he weighs 107 lbs! What a fatty. I guess a thyroid problem could contribute to weight gain.

Thanks to everyone for the well wishes. Chopper's pretty pooped right now from his ordeal. :roll:

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
Glad to hear it isn't mange, but a thyroid problem doesn't sound good either. I hope they can figure out what it is.

Give him a BIG HUG!!!! :D

·
Registered
52 Posts
I have a friend whose dog has a thyroid problem - the vet told them it's managable but it means meds daily for life. Their dog has lost a bit of the weight gain and her coat is beautiful again.

I hope it all works out well for you.

Good luck

1 - 20 of 27 Posts