Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Brodie got his tail slammed in a door a few days ago (hubby had a full laundry basket and thought the dog was all the way through). Brodie then bolted all the way up the stairs and went into the back bedroom before hubby could catch up to him to make sure he was o.k. Well, now Brodie wont jump on anything (is this REALLY a bad thing??) and Im worried he hurt more than his tail?? Is this possible? Maybe a day after I was getting him away from the front door when someone knocked and sort of scooted him up the stairs and he yelped loudly like he was in pain. . . He wont jump up to the bed, he wont jump up on the couch, he sort of just climbs on it. Anyone have ideas as to what could have been injured and what we should do about it? He does NOT have any pain anywhere on his back end including his tail when we try to squeeze, touch, so I dont really understand what is going on.

As a parent of children, I did what I would have done to check my kids out. I checked for swelling, bruising, or obvious pain when touching any of the areas. So, after none of that seemed to be an issue, I quit worrying about it. But, its been now I dont know . . . a week? and he still isnt jumping up on anything which is not really normal for him. So, just though I'd get some opinions. . .

·
Registered
5,754 Posts
Re: Kinda strange situation, not sure the two are related .

Zippitydodaa said:
Brodie got his tail slammed in a door a few days ago (hubby had a full laundry basket and thought the dog was all the way through). Brodie then bolted all the way up the stairs and went into the back bedroom before hubby could catch up to him to make sure he was o.k. Well, now Brodie wont jump on anything (is this REALLY a bad thing??) and Im worried he hurt more than his tail?? Is this possible? Maybe a day after I was getting him away from the front door when someone knocked and sort of scooted him up the stairs and he yelped loudly like he was in pain. . . He wont jump up to the bed, he wont jump up on the couch, he sort of just climbs on it. Anyone have ideas as to what could have been injured and what we should do about it? He does NOT have any pain anywhere on his back end including his tail when we try to squeeze, touch, so I dont really understand what is going on.

As a parent of children, I did what I would have done to check my kids out. I checked for swelling, bruising, or obvious pain when touching any of the areas. So, after none of that seemed to be an issue, I quit worrying about it. But, its been now I dont know . . . a week? and he still isnt jumping up on anything which is not really normal for him. So, just though I'd get some opinions. . .
No opinions on why that would make him not be jumping up - but Mags did actually BREAK a bone in her tail recently - either by getting it caught in the door without me noticing or just from smacking it against a doorjam too many times - and she wasn't in ANY pain - the vet couldnt get a pain response even though it was obviously broken from the xrays - so no pain doesn't necessarily mean nothings wrong - they have a very high pain threshold and tolerance.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Not sure what you would think of this, but one of the families I gave a puppy to was considering getting his tail cropped. I made a big to do about it, telling them~well everything as to ehy they can not do it.

So, I made the trip to the vet with them, because it is in my contract, they cannot alter the dog w/out my permission other then ears.

Thankfully, the vet said NO WAY, to crop a dogs tail it has to be within 2 to 7 days old. ESPECIALLY in an APBT whose tail is not supposed to be cropped anyways, and at age 9 weeks, the tail has already long begun to "fuse" to the spine, causing it to be near impossible to crop. It should only be done for emergency purposes, and it is a very serious surgery.

Not that this thread was about tail cropping, but to point that the tail, as he says, is fused to the spine, thats why we shouldnt pull dogs tails!

maybe he has a fracture in one of the bones, hopefully if it has to be something, that is all.

Id take him to make sure it hasnt effecting anything farther.

Good luck.

·
Registered
4,500 Posts
s he pooping ok? His spinkter muscle could be damaged. My inlaws had a cat that got his tail injured and it ended up being the muscle. I would take him into the vet to make sure.

·
Registered
7,413 Posts
It could just be that now he's nervous about anything touching him in his rear, but I don't know that that would explain why he won't jump on the couch. Given what Debs and Steph just said, I would have the vet take a look - just to be sure. Poor Brodie - I hope it's nothing and he feels like himself again soon.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I thought about the pooping thing too, so a day or two ago, I watched to make sure he was going o.k. and he seemed just fine.

Thanks for the info about the tail being fused, I did not know that. I wonder if that could be it . . . He whips that tail around quite a bit LOL, it might not have even been the door doing it. Today for instance, he was whipping that tail around after we got back from Quiznos . . . he whipped the straw right out of my daughters sprite, and it flew across the living room. I had to laugh, my husband was annoyed (now we have pop on the floor lolol) silly dogs. . .

1 - 6 of 6 Posts