Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone!! I have a 102lb female AB. She has been limping for sometime on and off. Her problem leg is the right hind leg. I have taken her to the vet and the vet said she probably has a partial torn ligament. She provided some anti-inflammatories for about ten days. She also said it will most likely be an ongoing problem. If it totally ruptures it will cost $2500 -3000 for repair. Chief limps on and off, but it's becoming frequent. Oh yeah, i forgot to mention it's a knee ligament.

Has anyone had the similar problem and what can i expect? Is there any solutions? It's horrible cause she is such an active 2 year old!!

Thanks for any help!!

·
Registered
12,744 Posts
Sorry to hear that.
Sounds really expensive for that surgery. :?
Orson had knee surgery for his slipping kneecap...got a pin put in
to hold it in place and it only (yeah, i say "only" :lol: )
$1000 and this was from one of best vet's in our town.
Orson was only 8 months old when he had surgery, so he was extremely
active. It took him a good 2 months to recover to normal.
Was a tough first 2 weeks keeping him calm, but it had to be done.

·
Registered
634 Posts
i had the same problem with my female ab my vet said surgery i got a second oppion this vet said keep her in a chage for one month and give anti inflamatory mes and pain rymadyl only let her out to go to the bathroom and eat no running or playing at the end of the month short walks 5-10 min an the most then incress 5 min a week for 2 months and if possable make her swim best thing for a leg ingery u should also give her glucosamine and chondroitin no less than 1000 mg a day u have a big girl as do i mine is 3 1/2 now and see is fine but that not to say u might have problems later in life if u have anymore questions on reablition for he please ask will help as mush as possable

·
Registered
182 Posts
depending on how badly torn it is you could try complete crate rest. But it is very hard on an active dog, and may be of no use anyway.
i would check around about the price. I've had 2 ACL repairs done and the vet charged 600.00 (Canadian) per knee.
It is a long recovery period, and you need to follow the vets instructions to the letter.
The bullbitch who had the surgery has one knee done at 6 months..she jumped off a picnic table and got hung up by her leg.
She went on to do conformation, agility and obed.
Then when she was 6 years she shot off the deck..dropped 5 feet and wrecked the other knee.
After surgery she did go back to agility for a year, but then I retired her because of her age.
if done right, rehab. is done right, she should be able to do anything you want her too.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks....

Thank you very much for the help!! it helps a bunch!! I did have her on the glucosamine...I will have to start her back up again.. I will get a second opinion as well. I have the liquid glucosamine is that better than the pills?? we do have a pool, but my dad doesn't like her in it and she doesn't like it either..I'll have to check to see if there are any places that provide that type of therapy for animals in my area.

Thanks..I may have more questions to come and I will update everybody!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts