Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11,423 Posts
Uh oh! I'll be waiting for (hopefully) good news!

·
Agent Squint
3,627 Posts
How could he have gotten mange? I don't know a whole lot about it, but I thought he would have to be around another dog with it to get it??? I'll pray he's ok.

~S

·
Banned
3,504 Posts
Awww, poor Koa...hopefully it's something minor and easy to take care of. We've been going thru some issues with Cinder, and we're pretty sure it's Atopic Dermatitis...no cure, but fairly easy to get under control.

Let us know how he's doing!

·
Registered
10,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
We're back! Good news is... it's not mange. :D

Bad news is... he has a really bad skin infection. Most likely an allergic reaction to insect bites (but no fleas were seen)... and the scratching led to a skin infection.

So he'll be on anti-histamines and antibiotics for a while. They said it was pretty severe. They gave him a free dose of Frontline too. Poor Koa, he was so scared being in there, but he did well during the skin scraping. Give that boy some cookies and he's your best friend.

Heaven and Nala are itching too, but Nala's BEEN itching since I got her. And Heaven doesn't have the rash and hairloss like Koa. Nala goes in tomorrow for some vaccines and they'll re-check her skin too. Then I'll probably have to take Heaven in later if she's still itching. I think they all just need baths because they've been outside so much. I think those biting flies started all this. I de-fogged the yard and sprayed repellent on them, but the vet said it doesn't work that well on flies. So I'll have to limit their time outdoors from now on.

Anyway, so I'll keep you guys posted. Hopefully this clears right up with antibiotics. He just looks awful. His whole sides and belly and chest are all covered in bumps. :(

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
I wonder what it is then.. is he on any flea stuff?

Sometimes those little buggers are so fast and leave little dirt that visible on a dark color dog. I use Advantix.

Maybe it's seasonal allergies? Dogs get those too.

·
Registered
10,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No, I just updated what it was... an allergic reaction to insect bites (probably biting flies) that became infected from scratching. They did a skin scraping and just saw lots of white blood cells, no mites, no sign of fleas. All my dogs are on flea and heartworm prevention. They just need to spend less time outdoors when the flies are being pesky. Koa has always had more sensitive skin too, so he probably had a really bad reaction to the bites. Poor baby.. he's such a big teddy bear.

Oh and I think he lost a few pounds. (He needed to!) He wouldn't stand still on the scale, but it said around 62 pounds. He was close to 70, that little porker. I've been trying to cut back on his meals, so looks like he's back to a healthy weight.

·
Banned
3,504 Posts
Glad to hear it's something that can be easily treated. He's going to be a little sleepy on the antihistamines, so I don't think he'll miss any extra outside time :wink:

·
Registered
14,577 Posts
Hi! Glad to hear it's nothing like mange. My guy Atticus had a big time problem with skin, too. We found out it was allergies to food. Has your vet ruled that out?

·
Super Moderator
15,970 Posts
As the others said, I, too am glad it is not mange.
Sasha my biggest dog, is allergic to the micro organisims in the dirt outside,
so she only goes out to poop and pee.

·
Registered
85 Posts
POOR KOA THANK GOD IT WASNT MANGE IM GOING THROUGH IT RIGHT NOW WITH MY DOG
BY THE WAY JUST WANTED TO LET U KNOW YOURE ONE HOT HOT MAMASITA!!!! (GORGEOUS)

·
Registered
10,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
TANKIE WANKIE said:
POOR KOA THANK GOD IT WASNT MANGE IM GOING THROUGH IT RIGHT NOW WITH MY DOG
BY THE WAY JUST WANTED TO LET U KNOW YOURE ONE HOT HOT MAMASITA!!!! (GORGEOUS)
LOL, thanks!

I don't know if I mentioned, Koa is on Keflex 750mg twice a day. He's still miserable, but I think in a few days we should see an improvement. I can't wait to see his coat back to normal, lush and shiny. As soon as he's all better, I'm gonna get some great shots of all 3.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts