Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just don't get it? Most people live by these things. They say its their dogs favorite toy. Xena could care less about it. I've stuffed it with peanut butter (which she just licks off). I've stuck a dog treat/biscuit inside. I've even heard of diluting chicken/beefstock and dunking it in it then freezing it. But Xena just looks at me like "What?"

Is it something she'll eventually grow into liking or what?

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
My late pit didn't get them either, but all the other pit owners I know swear by them. I guess it depends on the dog.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
mine love their kongs stuffed with treats and peanut butter, they will play with it once in awhile, but usually not.

·
Super Moderator
15,976 Posts
Clara loves it stuffed with bone treats and she will chew on it at times without treats.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Sometimes I think I shoulda bought stock in the Kong Corp.

Our old boxer/Dalmatian mix Abraham is BEYOND the definition of "power chewer." Rawhides last about 15 minutes, knuckle bones about 30 minutes with him. Forget about bully sticks, he crunches through those like they're made of air.

The Kong was a godsend. We stuff it with liver treats and/or peanut butter and it keeps him occupied. I sometimes worry that it encourages fixation, and I know for sure that it gives him gas. But it's at least SOMETHING he can use for his chewing Jones that will last more than a few hours. He gets pretty crafty trying to get the treats out. One day we caught him getting on the couch, then "throwing" the Kong down on the floor (presumably the height of the couch produces a more forceful landing, pretty good engineering for an old hound.) He will try everything. Eventually he tears the Kong apart and we just get another.

For Grizwald, we bought the Kong treat "bone" you can stuff the ends with treats. He loves it - it's not as hard and boring as Nylabone so he can still sink his teeth into it, but not as easy to demolish as a rawhide. We try not to depend on Kongs too much around here, but my husband calls them "Sanity Kongs" because often it's the only thing that will keep them BOTH quiet for an hour or two so we can hear ourselves bloody THINK, or just enjoy a nice dinner without the constant panting and playing and tearing around.

I recommend the Kong "bone" if your dog only responds to the standard Kong by licking it constantly. The bone is well........more bone-like!

·
Registered
277 Posts
Lincoln only started likeing his Kong very recently. It wook him months to take to it, and suddenly he loves it. I have a puppy kong for him, but I think maybe his mouth was too small before? I'm not sure, but his mouth is huge now and we sometimes call him Muppet, because when he yawns it looks like a puppets mouth ahhah. Anyways, now he likes it with or without treats. :)

·
Banned
1,365 Posts
Leeann.Bella.Remy said:
My dogs love playing with their Kongs, even when they're not stuffed with goodies. I think they're the exception, though!
Boss Hog love all Kongs and I dont put anything in his either..

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
i have the bone shaped kong
biz plays with his once in a while
but the peanut butter treats in there and he will play with it til he gets the teeats out

·
Registered
465 Posts
Im gonna agree with the person that said I SHOULD HAVE BOUGHT STOCK IN KONG my two walk around with them in there mouths even without treats in them :lol:

·
Registered
193 Posts
Biscanton said:
i have the bone shaped kong
biz plays with his once in a while
but the peanut butter treats in there and he will play with it til he gets the teeats out
thats the one that busta has aswell! & he LOVES it. chews it even if i forget to put a treat in :D

·
Registered
9 Posts
Kahlua didn't get the Kongs either but she was that way with all her toys. After a few days she got the hang of it. Now the red ball Kong is practically the only way she'll eat her food and it's the only thing that keeps her from tearing my house to shreads while were gone. I had to stop with the treats in them though, the liver snaps gave her gas and the peanut butter made a mess and she would only lick it. But she loved it so much that the vet said its better to put their food in it because she started gaining weight. But like the others it is something to invest in.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts