Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This food thing has my mind spinning. I have a 11wk old OEB and have been feeding him Authority Harvest Baked Puppy for about 2wks. Today Little Jerry & I went to Petsmart to buy another bag and a toy when I noticed Authority Large Breed Puppy food, but corn was in it so I put it back. Theres a woman there who does the dog traing there and I asked her if she thought Large Breed puppy food is what I should be feeding my Jerry and she said yes so now im shoping for new food. I found a few that I seen in this form and wound up buying Blue Large Breed puppy which looked good, no corn ect. Now is large breed puppy food really better for little Jerry over Harvest Baked puppy does it really matter someone stop the madness

· Registered
583 Posts
Personally, the majority of the large breed formulas are crap...what I mean is, very few companies have actually studied and researched large breed needs. I have known many folks (myself included) that had fed these formulas and ended up with pups with Pano like symptoms (odd bone growth, bone weekness, etc.) after a good supplement and 2 -4 weeks on an adult food, problems cleared up. I don't recommened large breed formulas to anyone.

Personally, I feed a regular puppy formula until 4-6 months of age, then switch over to an adult formula. The dogs are much better off.

· Registered
63 Posts

I agree with Carrie. I have heard that there is little research supporting dog food claims of being "large breed." I have also heard the same about food being for "puppies." There is a lot of info out there and it can be hard to digest. Look at www.dogfoodanalysis.com. This site may not answer all of you feeding questions but it is a very good resource.

· Registered
1,470 Posts
Carrie said:
Personally, the majority of the large breed formulas are crap...what I mean is, very few companies have actually studied and researched large breed needs. I have known many folks (myself included) that had fed these formulas and ended up with pups with Pano like symptoms (odd bone growth, bone weekness, etc.) after a good supplement and 2 -4 weeks on an adult food, problems cleared up. I don't recommened large breed formulas to anyone.

Personally, I feed a regular puppy formula until 4-6 months of age, then switch over to an adult formula. The dogs are much better off.
WOW...I'm glad I read this, because this is what I've also been feeding Koda and Shelby. Shelby is full grown, and Koda is almost 6 months, so it's not the puppy formula, but it is the large breed formula. Thanks for the info - guess I'll be switching too!

· Registered
6,529 Posts
I've been feeding Heaven and Koa this since they were young... they have thrived on it, and as you can see, they are very healthy. I had one of my friends switch, and when they did, their dog's coat became really shiny as well. (I hear compliments on my dogs' shiny coats all the time.)

BUT -- you are right. I didn't know that about the corn.. someone just scored it for me and said it was an "A" so I stuck with it. I think we might switch to Nutro. They've eaten that when I've run out of Authority, and they seem to like it, and had no problems with the switch. So I may just have to switch (permanently) right along with you!

I still don't have anything bad to say about it though... my dogs are beautiful, healthy, and strong. I know they still received good nutrition, regardless of corn content.

· Registered
1,470 Posts
LuvaBULL said:
I've been feeding Heaven and Koa this since they were young... they have thrived on it, and as you can see, they are very healthy. I had one of my friends switch, and when they did, their dog's coat became really shiny as well. (I hear compliments on my dogs' shiny coats all the time.)

BUT -- you are right. I didn't know that about the corn.. someone just scored it for me and said it was an "A" so I stuck with it. I think we might switch to Nutro. They've eaten that when I've run out of Authority, and they seem to like it, and had no problems with the switch. So I may just have to switch (permanently) right along with you!

I still don't have anything bad to say about it though... my dogs are beautiful, healthy, and strong. I know they still received good nutrition, regardless of corn content.
I agree with the shiny coat part. Before we had a pitbull, and I'm ashamed to admit, but all we fed Shelby was 'Ol Roy - she constantly shed, and her hair was dull and rough. When we got our first pitbull she had an allergic reaction to the funky food so we started them on the good stuff - within a month or so Shelby's hair was as shiny as could be & she's as soft as a baby's butt now! :D

· Registered
6,529 Posts
Well I don't know now.. it can't be that bad. I was just reading Nutro's ingredients, and they're not that different, just more expensive. I think people see the "meal" part and go nuts. It's honestly not always that bad... especially when I have 2 dogs to prove it. I'm not sure if I'll make a switch, still thinking about it. Authority has been working so far, and I'd hate to switch to something that's probably equivalent anyway. Stick with whatever works, you know! (If it aint broke, don't fix it!) Nala will probably eat something different since she obviously has allergies. Not sure what I'll feed her yet though.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.