Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well - it's good news and bad news:
The good news we finally know what we are dealing with - Maggie is in chronic renal failure for sure.
The bad news there is no cure and it is always terminal.
But - with the right supportive care she could live a couple more years (she is 6 years old now).
We ahve to feed her special food that only a vet sells (science diet k/d), she also ahs to have Maalox wither her food (luckily she takes mixed right in!) and half a pepcid with every meal. She is staying hydrated (very important) but still looks anemic (her gums are pale).
The food is low in protien but what protein is there is better quality than regular food. It is also low in phosphates and sodium - so in other words BLAND! She is definately feeling better though and excited to be getting canned food so thus far it is an improvement over a couple weeks ago.
We have her scheduled for an abdominal ultrasound so we can get a better handle on how damaged her kidmeys are.
Sasha is being vey sweet and not jumping on her like normal.
Thanks for the prayers and thoughts and I will keep you updated.

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
I'm so sorry to hear about your girl, that's aweful. My little brother had a kidney transplant last year so I know all about the bland diet. :pukeright: There is a yahoo group for kidney failure in dogs. I joined the pancreatitis one and hip dysplasia one and found a lot of help. YOu may want to check it out and get some advice from other owners that are dealing with the problem.

·
Registered
11,423 Posts
Poor Mags. I'm so sorry. At least there's a chance for her to get a few good years with you! Best of luck with her.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts