Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in a pretty big city and it is kind of populated around here. I am also in an apartment so I do not have a backyard. I would like to take Loki to a field or woods to do obedience type training with distractions. I won't allow her off leash at all unless it is someones backyard so I'm going to get a 20 to 30 foot lead like the one pictured below. My question is do any of you know if they make some sort of belt type thing so I can snap the long lead to it so I can use both hands? I don't want to worry about having to grab it in time if I have to get control of her real quick. Or if you have any other ideas. I can't put any kind of hooks in trees.

Loki gets so focused on people or dogs outside sometimes that no amount of commands or pulling her will budge her. She will just plant her butt down and watch them. I have to break her of this with some training.

·
Registered
720 Posts
This is going to seem alittle unorthodox but if your dog does not pay 100% attention to you it hinders its learning ability! So this is what ya do! Take a 20ft lead and start walking down the street with her and as soon as she is not paying attention to you turn around and run the other way and jerk her off her feet, not hard enough to hurt her but hard enough to turn her around sharply and snap her attention back on you which is where it should have been the whole time you was walking her! You keep doing this everyday until you start running the other way and she turns around and catches up with you before the leash jerks her around, now she is keeping her focus on you and distractions will no longer be a problem and you can start training and she will learn alot faster with her paying attention to you. You cannot train a dog if it does not pay attention!

·
Registered
703 Posts
One suggestion that I have is to simply use a strong belt large enough that if you choose you can attach it to a tree. A second suggestion is to wear a strong belt and simply loop the lead onto the belt. (Just make sure you weigh enough your not dragged away or put alot of rocks in your pocket, just kidding about the last part LOL) Good luck!

·
Registered
159 Posts
ambull040769 said:
as soon as she is not paying attention to you turn around and run the other way and jerk her off her feet, not hard enough to hurt her but hard enough to turn her around sharply and snap her attention back on you which is where it should have been the whole time
This is exactly the approach my trainer showed me.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
I would suggest getting a training lead that has a looped end, just like a regular lead. Then you can easily thread it around around a tree or around your waist.

·
Registered
720 Posts
elke said:
ambull040769 said:
as soon as she is not paying attention to you turn around and run the other way and jerk her off her feet, not hard enough to hurt her but hard enough to turn her around sharply and snap her attention back on you which is where it should have been the whole time
It works wonders, once your dog pays attention to you they can learn anything!

·
Agent Squint
4,225 Posts
elke said:
ambull040769 said:
Same here, i had her training leash on and had to walk to his commands and pay no attention to roxy, then stop suddenly, she flew past me and didn't see that i had stop, roxy nearly flipped on her back! we repeated this with me turning suddenly, after a while she kept her eye on me ;)

The best way to learn is to see a trainer....I tried without their help and was dragged all over the place by her.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts