Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Janie sort of struggles on the leash...anyone else have this problem with their pup?

She will walk well then stop....like a donkey.

And other times she is just off on her own...

I am attributing to age...but she seems to be getting worse!

·
Registered
37 Posts
i had this too when i first brought beetlejuice home.. she needs to learn the life of the leash. i have had a some of these methods suggested to me. let janie walk around with the leash attached, let her drag it around. clip the leash to your body and just walk. she will learn that where you go, she needs to go. develope a call word for her, keep treats or rewards handy...call out the word to get her attention and walk. quickly reward her for following. it doesnt have to be over a great distance.

beetlejuice has his moments, but for the most part he is learning. each week he gets better

·
Registered
269 Posts
Put the leash up high on her neck and give a correction (upward) to keep the head up before she stops. More than likely there will be signs of a stop coming (e.g. sniffing in tracking mode). If there is not a sign just keep walking so she learns that you both stop when you say to stop. Stay calm and don't get angry or frustrated. I like to avoid eye contact too, as it shows you are not paying attention to their decision to stop.

If a dogs head is "up" they will focus on moving forward. Also, choke up on your leash, so there is only about 12-16" if leash from the collar to your hand. Keep her at your side and make sure she is not leading you.

Practice daily and she will walk perfect within a week.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Peebles & Bam Bam had the same problem. The girl would stop like a donkey and insist on going her way. The male then just seemed to want to follow her. It is frustrating but after a few weeks they got the hang of it and figured out who's walking who. There six months now. They both walk on the leash like perfect little angles (90% of the time).

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
Tora used to sit and stair. So, I put Tora's leash on her and let her drag it around for a while so she could get used to it.Then I would do small walks and praise her constantly for the good work.Now walking is a breeze.

·
Super Moderator
15,983 Posts
Ya know, it is sort of like potty training a kid. They all have their little problems
with it but they all learn to do it. Just keep practicing and rewarding, she'll get it.
:D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts