Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am just starting to really leash train Tora and for the most part she is doing great. As we walk along I tell her good girl when she is closely following my lead. I have noticed that is scared of loud cars or motorcycles. When a car passes us she will try to pull off away from the car which isn't a big deal at 20lbs but when gets to be 80lb it will be a big problem .I have been pulling her back into place and giving a firm "NO" but it does not seem to be improving.Should I comfort her or will that reinforce a negative behavior?I don't know what to do about it. My girlfriend says that it just a puppy behavior but I am scared that she may try this latter. Did this behavior pass in your pups or was it a training issue? ANy leash training tips and advice would be greatly apprechiated.

What type of leashes do you all use? Nylon or leather, which do you feel has better strength to hold an AB. As for now a basic collar (well ok a Red leather spiked collar, what can I say she is a sass pot) and leash are working but just figured while I was posting on leash probs I would get your advice.

·
Registered
8,671 Posts
Sounds like your pup has some sensitivities to loud noises. Definitly not a training issue.

My suggestion is to totally ignore her fearful behaviour. Say NOTHING and continue walking when she does this. Do not try comforting just act like nothing is happening.

She may out grow this but she also may not. Sometimes temperament can get stronger with age but sometimes problems will get worse. It's really hard to say.

How old is she? I am assuming 2 or 3 months old?

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Ditto what Lisa said. Your chances of her getting over it are better if you simply ignore her behavior and keep going. Scolding her won't make it any better for her, and comforting will definitely enforce her behavior. They will usually get over it if you walk them often enough. You might want to start her off in areas with fewer cars so she can get used to them slowly, and build up to busier areas.

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you so much I will ignore it........ She is 3 months old so I am trying to get a handle on her LOL while I still can.

·
Registered
6 Posts
My two hound/pit pups were abused and under-socialized. They are afraid of everything, especially loud noises. What I have done is to desensitize them. I take them one at a time or with my husband down to a busy intersection and just sit there while all the noise is going on. We speak calmly to them and tell them how good they are doing and give lots of small treats when they stop pulling. Gradually they figure out that it's better to hold still and try to get that treat. I mark their good behavior with a strong "Yes!" and then give the treat.

Their first trip I thought they were going shiver their fur off. By the third trip even the motorcycles weren't making them jump and last night they were sniffing something and didn't even look up as a hotrod roared past.

You need to show Tora that although its loud it won't hurt her. Mine now think going out is great because it means praise and treats. Those loud noises aren't important anymore. But you have to work up to it and don't stay too long the first couple of times and you will probably have to do a lot of encouragement. It's worth the effort now to save you a dislocated shoulder later.

Oh yeah...I just have plain old nylon collars on them -- nothing that will punish them and make them even more scared.

:) Abby

1 - 5 of 5 Posts