Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's Tuesday folks! Time for my daily question :D

So bubba is 9 weeks old and we've been introducing him to his leash very casually. We are currently making him move about the house with it hooked to his collar(flat). He mostly chews on it when he notices it is on but he does listen when we tell him "no".
Anyway, Bubba isn't having any of this walking on the leash stuff. I know he is young and it is new to him so we haven't been pushing it too much. Funny thing-he will walk on the leash just fine if we are headed back to the house but as far as walking away it can be a real tussle. Do you find it common that a dog can know his house after only being there a little over a week? Maybe it's an aberration but trust me it's happening :?
Do bully's respond well to a harness leash at this age or should I just give him some time? We are willing to do what is best for him and right now pressure doesn't seem to be the right medicine.
Thanks in advance for all your help.

·
Agent Squint
4,225 Posts
Roxy as a pup wore a harness.

U need to take small walks with treats and plenty of praising to help coax him along, use a command u will want him to use as he grows, like heal or close:) when he's walking nicely at your side say, close, good boy followed by lots of praise & treat and move on using the word close and repeat.

hope that helped.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Leash training

Funny you are having the same problem we are having. He won't go out , but he will defintily walk back home. Our pupies ar the same age. I am from Lima . the breeder told me he sold some to Columbus and cincinnati. Just wandering if we have brothers?

·
Registered
416 Posts
I am also from the Columbus area. This is weird. I have a AB pup that is 15 weeks old today, she walks fine now but she didn't at 8 weeks old. When she started to pull, stop, or was just plain stubborn I would turn my back to her, and stand not giving her any attention. She would eventually cave and start walking with me, and I gave her a treat and a ton of praise and we would walk. This took several times of this happening until she understood. It takes time just be patient, this is a very stubborn breed.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.