Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sorry if this has already been discussed on this thread, but I could not find it if it was. So anywho... Koda is now a little over 2 months old, and over the weekend we decided to attempt his leash training...all did not go well. He acted like a kid throwing a tantrum on that leash! He would holler like we were killing him, and yank and twist, and roll all over the place, and pretty much just WOULD NOT walk on that leash!!! :dontknow:

ANY SUGGESTIONS WOULD BE NICE!!! :help:

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
it might sound mean
butjust keep walking and dragging him behind
when his butt gets soar he will get up and walk
then its lots of praise

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Biscanton said:
it might sound mean
butjust keep walking and dragging him behind
when his butt gets soar he will get up and walk
then its lots of praise
We tried that...he got so bad we had to eventually just take him off because he kept choking himself so bad! :x

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
then you just tought him if he throws a big enough fit he will get what he wants (off the leash)
he might pitch a fit for a bit
and if you feel he is choaking too much just stop and stand there til he gets his breath
and then start walking agian

he will learn
you just need to be more stuborn than him
you could also try a harness for walking so that you dont have to worry about the choking

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Biscanton said:
then you just tought him if he throws a big enough fit he will get what he wants (off the leash)
he might pitch a fit for a bit
and if you feel he is choaking too much just stop and stand there til he gets his breath
and then start walking agian

he will learn
you just need to be more stuborn than him
you could also try a harness for walking so that you dont have to worry about the choking
Yeah, that's what I told my husband...we're going to get him a harness this weekend.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Have you tried showing him that walking along with you is a good and fun and rewarding thing to do? Before you put the leash on him, would he follow along for short distances if you encouraged him (kissy noises, pat your thigh, "let's go!")?

Here's my advice.

Put a basic buckle collar (flat collar) on Koda. Attach a small, light leash to the collar - do NOT hold the collar or the leash.

Have some nice treats (boiled chicken, cheese)in your left hand, show them to Koda, then move forward a bit and encourage him to follow. If he does, tell him how splendid he is and give him a teensy bit of treat. Repeat. After a couple of times, he should be getting the hang of it and starting to ignore the leash. Stop, take the leash off. Later on, repeat again for 7-10 times. As he gets better at this, you can go farther at a time, but you're still not holding the leash.

Next, attach the leash and hold the end. Treat him if he's NOT freaking out at the other end. Tuck the end in your pocket or through your belt and do your "follow me" game a couple times a day for a couple of days. You can slowly phase out the treats if you like, but I would keep some around for random rewards.

I would NOT advise "dragging him" by the leash - you're just cementing his idea that the leash is a horrible new torture device that you've suddenly sprung on him! And you've set yourself up to fail, because eventually you're going to take it off him - at which point he's been freed from the torture device and it's going to be that much harder to get it attached again!

It's so much easier to set him up (and set yourself up) to SUCCEED by making this new thing a signal that FUN, EXCITING, and TASTY things are about to happen!

·
Registered
99 Posts
I had that problem a few times over the years, and I dont know if this has been said or not yet, buttt
The best way to approach the whole leash and collar dilemma is to first have the collar on and then click on the leash and praise him make a big deal outta it...then let him walk around the house for a few hours with it on...let him get used to havin the leash on...if you just clip it on and think you will walk outside and go for a walk...its probably not gonna happen...my last pup I havent had much troubles with, but I know the buckin bronco thing lol...
Try getting him more familiar in having the leash on while your with him at home and maybe even play with him with the leash etc....
dont drag him thats definetly not the way to do this :eek:

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
Buster is 15 weeks and the first time I put him on a leash I let him run around the house with just that to get use to it being on.Next day I took him just out front and walked along my lawn calling him and making a big deal out of it.I also gave treats.Third day I walked him up and down are block calling him patting my leg making a big deal and acting like a dumba$$ but it worked.He gets very excited now to go out on a leash and walk.He is still a pup and we havent done any commands yet and he will pull but in time we will work on that .For now you want them to know the leash is a good thing.
So get your high pitched , squeeky voice out and start making a fuss and dont forget the treats :wink:

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yesterday was the first time we attempted the whole leash thing, and I didn't expect him to do perfect, especially considering it was his first time. My husband wasn't mean to him, so don't get me wrong, but he pulled him around the yard a little bit while he did the "buckin' bronco" moves. It was hilarious because our boxer is so well behaved, and she came up beside me and looked up at me with this face like she was saying "put a leash on me & let me show this idiot how it's done"...so we did...she pranced around the yard like some show dog - it was so cute! Koda gave her this "you show-off" look and went in the house. I will attempt it again this weekend, with a harness, so hopefully he'll do better...

I appreciate all the words of advice...everyone is always so helpful here!!! :notworthy:

·
Registered
181 Posts
Kelly said:
Buster is 15 weeks and the first time I put him on a leash I let him run around the house with just that to get use to it being on.Next day I took him just out front and walked along my lawn calling him and making a big deal out of it.I also gave treats.Third day I walked him up and down are block calling him patting my leg making a big deal and acting like a dumba$$ but it worked.He gets very excited now to go out on a leash and walk.He is still a pup and we havent done any commands yet and he will pull but in time we will work on that .For now you want them to know the leash is a good thing.
So get your high pitched , squeeky voice out and start making a fuss and dont forget the treats :wink:
Absolutely - I'm sure my neighbors all think I'm a freak when I'm walking Ozy. We're working on heeling, and I keep up a nearly-constant patter of praise & encouragement & sporadic treats as we trot along ("Here we go! Let's walk! Very nice! You are the best! Keep watching me! What a good boy!....."). Of course, if they saw us playing in the yard, they'd be REALLY CONVINCED that I've gone right around the bend!

Also, once your pup is following along, make sure you keep a good pace. If you're moving, you're more fun! If you're just poking along, he has more opportunity to look for other, more interesting, things to do.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Chynasmom said:
Have you tried showing him that walking along with you is a good and fun and rewarding thing to do? Before you put the leash on him, would he follow along for short distances if you encouraged him (kissy noises, pat your thigh, "let's go!")?

Here's my advice.

Put a basic buckle collar (flat collar) on Koda. Attach a small, light leash to the collar - do NOT hold the collar or the leash.

Have some nice treats (boiled chicken, cheese)in your left hand, show them to Koda, then move forward a bit and encourage him to follow. If he does, tell him how splendid he is and give him a teensy bit of treat. Repeat. After a couple of times, he should be getting the hang of it and starting to ignore the leash. Stop, take the leash off. Later on, repeat again for 7-10 times. As he gets better at this, you can go farther at a time, but you're still not holding the leash.

Next, attach the leash and hold the end. Treat him if he's NOT freaking out at the other end. Tuck the end in your pocket or through your belt and do your "follow me" game a couple times a day for a couple of days. You can slowly phase out the treats if you like, but I would keep some around for random rewards.

I would NOT advise "dragging him" by the leash - you're just cementing his idea that the leash is a horrible new torture device that you've suddenly sprung on him! And you've set yourself up to fail, because eventually you're going to take it off him - at which point he's been freed from the torture device and it's going to be that much harder to get it attached again!

It's so much easier to set him up (and set yourself up) to SUCCEED by making this new thing a signal that FUN, EXCITING, and TASTY things are about to happen!
This is exactly what I did for Tala. She used to just plant her butt down and not move at all on the leash. No fits, but she wouldn't walk with the leash. When I'd pull forward, she'd pull with all her might to stay in her spot, and the collar would come flying off her head. Odie on the other hand, threw fits as if the leash was the worst torture in the world. He'd flip over on his back or do the bucking broncho thing. Easing them into the idea of the leash, and then rewarding good behavior with treats worked for both of them. It's not natural to them, so you have to make it something they enjoy, and that's done with reward, usually in the form of treats.

·
Registered
16 Posts
leash training

From my experience, the harder you pull the more the dog resists. If someone grabs you by the arm and pulls , your natural reaction is to pull the opposite way. This is true in the dog world as well. I have in the past just put the leash on him at first and run around with it.Then pick up the collar and coax him with treats or his favorite toy,Whatever method you choose to use, you have to stick with it repition equals success

·
Registered
47 Posts
Re: Leash - Harness

I found when we firs got Jezabel the people said she wouldn't walk on the leash and collar for them I gave her a few days as my wife tried to paper train (NOOO) but after I saw the future of what was happening and said she has to get walked a I posted a topic here and then tried a few things -

1. I let her run around with the leash attached to her, saw that the collar and leash maybe have been an issue so i switched to the harness and let her run around with that.

2. Limited the walk to around the block 1 or 2 times she eventually got used the concept of the walk and began marking and poopin(yeah no more stinky house). This also helped get used to the cars people and other unearthly noises. She hated rice burners but would go towards the harley's smart pup..

3. She made a few friends along the way.

Also the harness helped me correct her pulling to much -- I quick tug the leash to let her no and say heel she comes back stops looks at me and then wwhen i start to wlk she is on my heel. Now I am working on when other dogs come up because she is a pup she still does the spaz thing and wags and jumps, but I short leash her bring it to where the leash is only long enough to let her walk on the ground and not get carried and she sticks to where the leash goes. Sometimes she gets upset and chews the leash but a little bitter apple and habenaro sauce fixed that problem.

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
I am not one for a harness...They work good but at times a dog can realize they can pull with out choking. Scarlet did. She walked perfectly until we got the harness for her. Then she realized...hey, I can pull and it does not hurt me! then she became a walking nightmare! She pulled constantly with the harness on cause it was not uncomfortable for her to do so. Not all dogs are like that though...just giving you a heads up that you might need to switch back to a collar if you think your dog might realize the harness means no uncomfortableness(<---is that a word??). but good luck to you I still need it! lol

1 - 14 of 14 Posts