Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am curious as to which types of leash everyone uses. It seems that the vast majority of trainers reccomend use of leather leashes. I think that nylon leashes are more comfortable in the hand and a little more durable (weather, water, etc.). They are also stronger (leather = 2500-3500 lb tensile strength, nylon = 4000+ lb tensile strength). With this being said, why do more people reccomend leather?

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
I acutally have a nylon leash that has the two handles... one about, oh I'd say at the end of 4ft and then another one right up close. I LOVE it. Kate walks sooooo beautifully on it and if I want to walk her in the heel position I have a nice handle to hold on to

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
I have a few different ones But I like the nylon myself I have a 4 way leash I love it can be adjusted from short to 4 feet to 6 foot
or you can hook both dogs to it cause it can be used as a double leash. It can also be use around the waste or shoulder too if you jogg with your dog. very versatile.

i also have leather leashes but I don't care for them so i don't use them

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
Personally, I love the leather leashes. If it is good quality, it just gets better with use. They get real soft when broken in but they are still pretty strong. Nylon leashes can give you rope burn if your dog is strong or lunges at something. I learned the hard way while walking Chico a couple of weeks ago. A cat crossed the street right in front of us. I've never seen him so riled up. He practically flew through the air. I was using a nylon leash because my leather one got left somewhere. Needless to say my hand wasn't feeling to good after that.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
I use leather leashes too. They last forever. I have this one that's been in my family since before I can remember, and it's passed down from dog to dog. It's a silly tradition I know, but it's sort of a right of passage. When the puppies grow out of their leash chewing phase they're upgraded from cheap nylon to the special leather leash. Since I got Odie first he got the leather leash. But not to leave Tala out, she's getting her own leather leash that will start her own heirloom....as soon as she stops chewing on them.....bull terriers are slow to mature. :roll:

·
Registered
7,413 Posts
I personally like my leather leash a lot more than my nylon ones. If the dog pulls, nylon really hurts my hands. Buster likes the taste of nylon just as much as he does leather. :roll:

·
Registered
8,671 Posts
For obedience and casual walking I use leather. Soft and easy on the hands and the easiest type of leash for applying a correction.

For tracking I use a long nylon lead.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Lisa said:
For obedience and casual walking I use leather. Soft and easy on the hands and the easiest type of leash for applying a correction.
I have both leather and Nylon , Does leather work better for correction because its stiffer and less give? or is it just easier on the hands. I never use the leather so I was just wondering. If it's better I may give it a try

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
I use leather, but my mom uses nylon. I prefer the leather for the feel, but until they are worked in they are a bit stiff. If you are worried about durability check out www.k9toolbox.com. He has some leashes that feel like leather, but are made of a certain type of rubber i think, so they stand up well to weather.

·
Registered
120 Posts
i use a braided nylon leash for Luchi. it's strong and also round so it's more comfortable.
Honey has a nylon leash with two handles, one about a foot from the end and the other at the end of the leash. it is helpful when we have to pull her close. like if some idiot is walking a dog on a flexi-retractable leash and is letting his dog go wherever.
i really dislike retractable leashes. it just seems that everyone who uses them has no control over their animal. they let them have like 20 or more feet of lead between them and their dog. and when something happens, they cant bring their dog close.

i have used leather before, but our dogs' leashes end up getting wet alot and the leather would crack and deteriorate. the nylon has held up well. i make sure to buy the double nylon. it's more comfortable on your hands and is stronger than the single nylon.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts