Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry if this is not in the proper place, I just joined here and tried to pick the right forum as it did not seem there was a general forum.

I recently lost my Am. Bull after 12 years. She got very sick very quickly and I had to have her put down, it was one of the hardest things I ever had to do in my life. She was the most amazing dog in the world but BOY did she shed!

I have just finally started to think of getting another dog and am really not sure what to get.
I love the looks of bullies... I have ALWAYS wants and English Bulldog but I know they are loud, drewl and have breathing issues so I am going to pass.

The breeds I have been considering are;

Staffordshire Terrier but I hear they can be quite a handful as they like to be a Dominant breed

Pit Bull Terrier but with the stigma they have from Detroit and the horrid owners and puppy mills I don't think it would be wise for me as I am in area with TONS of kids (yes I know the PBT is good with kids) I just dont want to have to explain to everyone what BS the PBT stories are/

Valley Bulldog I have just started to hear about them and they really sound great! I have not been able to get enough info yet though

Lastly a dog which has nothing to do with this site, the Goldendoodle as they are supposed to barely shed at all... Also I know Goldens are smart dogs. I just would miss out on the look of the bullbreeds...

Shedding really bothers me, I ended up beaking off with a girl I was dating as she was allergic to heavy shedding and as I said my Am Bull shed quite a bit.... I want a dog which is a low shedder. What do you all think? Any suggestions as to which bull breeds shed the least? I even considered a French Bulldog as a friend has one and its the funniest dog I have ever seen but I really couldnt have something that small, Id trip over it and kill it at night.

Thank you for your time!
I look forward to hearing your thoughts.

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
i think all bully breeds shed about the same(i could be wrong)

goldendoodles are just a mutt made up by BYB's and puppymills, there is absolutely NOT gurantee that the dog will shed very little, it could end up having a coat more like a golden retriever and shed a ton.
if you do decide to go with a goldendoodle please consider a rescue, there are quite a few in rescue already

a french bulldog is smaller so obviously there will be quite a bit less hair than an AB.

here is a list of breeds that are light shedders
http://dogbreedinfo.com/lightshedders.htm

·
Registered
451 Posts
I went through that list of dogs that shed the least...I'll just say I'd MUCH rather have a dog that sheds a lot than pretty much any of those breeds. But, then again, I have slip covers on my couch and big chair and I sweep every day. The hair doesn't bother me that much.

Good luck with your pursuit of a dog who sheds very little :D

·
Registered
1,321 Posts

·
Registered
451 Posts
Champ_and_jas said:
not trying to hijack your post but did you guys see all the mutts in the link.

Chi poo
cockapoo
yochon
doodleman pinscher darn they got the dobies :cry:
havanese
labradoodle
maltipoo
no no no boxerdoodle
whoa saint berdudle
shepadoodle
they got another one of ours english boodle
heres a link with all the poodle mixes

lmao yes, that's why I made my comment. lol @ "no no no boxerdoodle"
http://dogbreedinfo.com/poodlemix.htm

and heres more mutts
http://dogbreedinfo.com/poodlemix.htm#Other_Popular_Mixes

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
JYogi said:
Pit Bull Terrier but with the stigma they have from Detroit and the horrid owners and puppy mills I don't think it would be wise for me as I am in area with TONS of kids (yes I know the PBT is good with kids) I just dont want to have to explain to everyone what BS the PBT stories are/
One of the most rewarding things of being a "pit bull" (whether it be a AST, APBT, or mix) owner is to show these people how wrong these horror stories are. I love when people ask me what kinds of dogs I have! And I love to prove them wrong! When we first moved here people wouldn't let the kids come near the house because of the dogs. Now everybody knows just how amazing my dogs are with children, and most people will defend them to others who do not know them. It takes time, but I love all bully breeds, and I love to show just how amazing and loving they are.

P.S. I am allergic to dogs and my dogs hair does not bother me, but I know a goldendoodle's who's does. If you give your dog a healthy all natural food, and some flax seed oil everyday, you will have a dog with healthy skin and coat, and therefore less shedding. :wink:

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Boston Terrier!!

Personality an dattitude of an AB in a cute little bug-eyed package. They are one of my very favorite breeds.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My neighbor has one and they are great dogs!
Just too small for me.

Chrisnjen said:
Boston Terrier!!

Personality an dattitude of an AB in a cute little bug-eyed package. They are one of my very favorite breeds.

·
Registered
9 Posts
We had a cream frenchie puppy for about 5 weeks, he past away :cry: . Jack was a great puppy. I think frenchies have great temperments and they don't shed a whole bunch. they're not very vocal (most) but all have differnt personalities. WE now have a English bulldog pup and he's just the best. Yes you have a point on the health issues, but they're worth all the love in the world. I suggest to pick an EB that it's breeders offer a health certificate and a health warranty, you can either get your money back if he has genetic defects or a new puppy from the same litter or the next litter. They're layed back, not very active when they get older, love human contact and they give soooooooo much love and aim to please. I think this of all bully breeds. You can't go wrong with these type of temperment origins.

I also owned a Boston a few years back and gifted her to a lonely friend, but found her to be very hyper.

Good luck in your search.

·
Registered
426 Posts
I'm Asthmatic and was worried about getting a dog that would shed a lot before we got Tia. We discussed different breeds and how much they would shed before we decided to get a Bullmastiff. Bullmastiffs shed their coat once a year apparently. She has shed once already which lasted about two weeks (we constantly had the hoover out!) but other than that she doesn't loose much at all and my Asthma has been fine which is a good thing :) I would say her drooling is a lot worse than her shedding, it's a case of towel at the ready! :lol: She's great and we love her! :wink:

Good luck with your search :)

·
Registered
551 Posts
You know whats crazy? Is those mutts are selling for hundreds of dollars. I saw a labradoodle in a petstore going for $750.00. I looked at my bf and said can you believe a mutt for this price? Absolutely not! LOL

Kelly

1 - 11 of 11 Posts