Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to the forum and need some advice. I have a 5 1/2 month old AB who we recently noticed favoring one leg a little. Took him to the vet and the vet felt that he just had a sprained knee. I hope that is just the case, but having had another AB that pulled ligaments in both leg I am a little paranoid about the whole situation. Anyone had a similair situation? How long does a sprained knee take to heel....in other words should I worry if he is still favoring it after a few weeks? He doesn't limp much or very often, so I kind of worry that it may be hips instead of the knee. He is 72 lbs. and I worry that he may be growing to quickly. What are some signs of Hip Displasia (sp?)? Thanks in advance! Seems to be a great forum with a lot of good info!

·
Registered
380 Posts
A good homopathic treatment for sprains and cuts is a root called comfrey. YOu make a tea in a pot with about one cup, or a pan big enough for your pup to stand in and soak the knee with the tea. Its like icy hot and gives fast relief. about $5.00 at health store. This also promotes tissue repair for cuts.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok. my post didn't get much response, but I just found out Jake needs a complete hip replacent! His hip is very bad. So, my question now is came some of you give me some advice on hip replacements and what to expect from my dog after he has it done (will he be able to perform at a normal activity level afterwards, etc)?

·
Registered
7,413 Posts
OMG! I can't believe such a young dog needs such drastic surgery! :( I'm so sorry for your baby! Have you sought a second opinion?

I can't offer any info about what it will be like, but maybe someone here's been through this before. I think Loretta (and a couple of others?) is a vet tech. Maybe you could PM her and see if she knows anything about it.

That bites! The poor baby!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
@ augrad: I see you are in Duluth. I live in Dacula myself. This whole thing is a nightmare. The cost is outragious. Got an apointment at the UGA vet school Feb. 21. I would like to hear of how some others have done after surgery.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts