Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
8,671 Posts
Rosco's nose was totally black by 3 months of age. Smooch, as you can see in my banner, still has some pink in her nose. She is 13 months old and I am hoping that more fills in during the next few months, but I doubt it will ever be 100% black. :(

EsthersDad: I notice Esther has no pigment around her eyes ( correct me if I am wrong, just what it looks like from the picture), so she is probably lacking in the pigment category and I highly doubt that you will get much more than what you have since she is already 1.5 yrs old.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Lisa said:
Rosco's nose was totally black by 3 months of age. Smooch, as you can see in my banner, still has some pink in her nose. She is 13 months old and I am hoping that more fills in during the next few months, but I doubt it will ever be 100% black. :(

EsthersDad: I notice Esther has no pigment around her eyes ( correct me if I am wrong, just what it looks like from the picture), so she is probably lacking in the pigment category and I highly doubt that you will get much more than what you have since she is already 1.5 yrs old.

She has a little 1/2" strip of pigment under her right eye and thats all. Her nose has filled in a little. But maybe it wont anymore. I'll have to find some SPF for her nose in the summer.

·
Registered
8,671 Posts
Roxy said:
hmmm, there is something you can give them to help with the colour....but I can't remeber what is is :-k I'll do a search on the old forum...

was sea kelp, but you already know that...it didn't work for you?

http://www.bulldogbreedsforum.com/forum/viewthread?thread=796#6280
That's what they say but I have been feeding it for most of the past 7 or 8 months and it hasn't seemed to make much of a difference. It may help a little but I think like most other things it comes down to genetics.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Roxy said:
hmmm, there is something you can give them to help with the colour....but I can't remeber what is is :-k I'll do a search on the old forum...

was sea kelp, but you already know that...it didn't work for you?

http://www.bulldogbreedsforum.com/forum/viewthread?thread=796#6280

I was using sea kelp for a while. 2-3 months and the pigment just stopped after a while. I think it could have been coincidence that the pigment was coming in since that was the around the age it should have been coming in.

Thanks for remembering.

·
Registered
8,911 Posts
Haus' nose was all black when we got him, but his eyeliner and spots on his nose filled in about 5 months. He's STILL getting spots on his nose though.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Our dog Spooky had a mostly pink nose till she was around 6 years old! It didn't start to go all brown till she started getting her daily supplement which had a lot of kelp in it. I'd say within 1 year after that it was all brown!

Sadie always had a black nose. Jaz's didn't get all black till she was 4 or 5 months. She only had a bit of black around her left eye, and not a drop around the right. Now they both are almost complete.

Lisa, maybe she's not getting enough kelp? Jazmine gets at least 1/2 tsp/day of powdered Atlantic sea kelp. She also gets Dulse powder. So did Spooky, maybe that's the difference?

·
Registered
8,671 Posts
Care said:
Our dog Spooky had a mostly pink nose till she was around 6 years old! It didn't start to go all brown till she started getting her daily supplement which had a lot of kelp in it. I'd say within 1 year after that it was all brown!

Sadie always had a black nose. Jaz's didn't get all black till she was 4 or 5 months. She only had a bit of black around her left eye, and not a drop around the right. Now they both are almost complete.

Lisa, maybe she's not getting enough kelp? Jazmine gets at least 1/2 tsp/day of powdered Atlantic sea kelp. She also gets Dulse powder. So did Spooky, maybe that's the difference?
I think Smooch is getting plenty, I have been giving her 1.5 TBSP of kelp per day which is way more than what you are talking about. Smooch's dam had excessive pigment and her sire had average pigment but it took a while to come in. I think her nose will get more black but I doubt it will fill in completely. Her left eye is also lacking but I just noticed a new spot on the upper eye rim so hopefully that spreads around!

What is Dolse powder?

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Lisa said:
I think Smooch is getting plenty, I have been giving her 1.5 TBSP of kelp per day which is way more than what you are talking about. Smooch's dam had excessive pigment and her sire had average pigment but it took a while to come in. I think her nose will get more black but I doubt it will fill in completely. Her left eye is also lacking but I just noticed a new spot on the upper eye rim so hopefully that spreads around!

What is Dolse powder?
Yep, sounds like she definantely gets enough. Dulse is a red seaweed. Like kelp, it is rich in vitamins, minerals, and amino acids. One thing about seaweeds is to try and makesure they are organic, or grown up near Iceland. Seaweeds these days are becoming quickly polluted with all the traffic in the oceans. :wink:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts