Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I do not want to start a debate or any kind of arguments here but I am very curious as to what your answers are on this question:

When a dog gets into a fight with another dog will that experience change it's personality and in what way will it change?

From what I have seen( from working at the vet ) I did see dogs who had been in fights and there personality afterwards whether it was days , weeks, months had changed.I had seen some that became fear biters because of this, unsure of certain surrondings and people. What do you think???

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
I do not have first hand experience with this but from reading about other dogs who have gotten into a fight, they have changed. Usually they tend to be more aggressive towards dogs. But I fdont think they would really change towards humans or anything.

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
Kelly said:
When a dog gets into a fight with another dog will that experience change it's personality and in what way will it change?
Honestly it doesn't necessarily have to change, but in most cases it will (mainly due to what is done shortly after the incident). There are ways to deal with the situation, methods that I have seen posted on working dog forums that would probably be best not to post here (people will definately be complaining about this one). Basically, if you want to prevent your dog from wanting to fight again, you have to make it scared of the punishment it will receive in return from it's master. Most people will not punish their dog and reprimand it properly in a publicly open place, especially after getting in a fight. I would say do anything and everythign to prevent the situation. If your dog was the victim of an attack, taking it to a trainer shortly after and immersing the dog in a constant social atmosphere for a long period of time should also help prevent it from being nervous timid or scared of other dogs without reason. This wouldn't hurt for either dog, depending on the environment they are coming from.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Since we didn't get Chyna until she was a year old, I can't say definitively whether she's been "in a fight" or been attacked by another dog. She has, on two occasions while we've owned her, STARTED incidents with another dog (both were "resource issues"), but I wouldn't call them fights. Mostly because, each time, the other dog wasn't fighting. :oops:

Her personality didn't change after those two incidents - it changed after we invested the time and effort to really train her from the ground up. 4 obedience courses, some agility and rally classes, and a lot of work on long stays with distractions. She is now MUCH more responsive to us than she is to other dogs.

It is possible that she was attacked when she was young and this made her very reactive to other dogs. She certainly didn't have any OB training when we got her!

·
Registered
4,666 Posts
CC got bit in the fave not too long ago, Now she doesn't like other dogs! she's the same towards people , but she's not the same around other dogs, she's much more garded when she even hears another dog!!

·
Registered
212 Posts
When Petey was in the shelter (read - a house with 13 other bullies, rotties, huskies, mastiffs, boxers, etc) he had a little pitbull puppy friend. They were glued to each other. One day a big pitty named Taz attacked the pup. Petey jumped right in and ended up with lots of bites on his head and face. Some have made permanent scars. That said, Pete is not afraid of dogs nor does he dislike dogs but something tells me he won't put up with that sort of behaviour ever again!

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
My Dozer was attacked by my moms male boston terrier (what the hell was he thinking). And I swear since then Dozer has permanent attitude! He thinks he is the shit! The fight wasn't bad as I was able to break it up really fast, but he hasn't been the same since. He now is always on "yard patrol" just walking the fence line almost waiting for another. He has not been around another male dog since. I am afraid that this time Dozer will instigate a fight, and I definately don't want that. So anyways, YES I think it changes their attitude.

·
Agent Squint
3,627 Posts
When Montana was pregnant with her first litter, I had her outside one day. A neighbor's mutt that runs loos all the time came in to my yard and went after her. It wasn't a vicious attack, but enough that she did have to defend herself. I wasn't sure how it affected her for a while. But, last summer, the same dog was being walked on leash by my house, right at the edge of my yard. This time, SHE went after HIM. I don't know if she remembered the last time (about 6-8 months in between) or she's just become dog aggressive now. It's the only situation like that she's been in. But, she has chased loose dogs out of my yard twice, but not gotten in to fights w/ them. I guess I believe it definitely can/could change their perception of other dogs for good. And, I don't know if you'd/I'd be able to change that.

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
Amocat00 said:
When Montana was pregnant with her first litter, I had her outside one day. A neighbor's mutt that runs loos all the time came in to my yard and went after her. It wasn't a vicious attack, but enough that she did have to defend herself. I wasn't sure how it affected her for a while. But, last summer, the same dog was being walked on leash by my house, right at the edge of my yard. This time, SHE went after HIM. I don't know if she remembered the last time (about 6-8 months in between) or she's just become dog aggressive now. It's the only situation like that she's been in. But, she has chased loose dogs out of my yard twice, but not gotten in to fights w/ them. I guess I believe it definitely can/could change their perception of other dogs for good. And, I don't know if you'd/I'd be able to change that.
Likely she remembers the dog (probably through it's scent) and that's why she went after it. I've seen and heard this exact same thing before, probably just an issue with that specific dog.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts