Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

lifting leg in house

3K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  debs 
#1 ·
Well Moose has stepped over the line. He has ALWAYS been an exceptional pup and now dog BUT he has started to lift his leg in the house. Now he is not fixed and there is a female dog right across the street that is in heat that started about 2 weeks ago. Now is this the reason he is doing this, marking his territory or is it a coinsidence? He is going to be fixed but I wasn't going to do it right now. Can some one who has an intact dog or experience with this let me know whats up. I don't want him to get use to doing this in the house. When I did scold him he snuggled me and was softly shaking with his head over my shoulder. He knew when I brought him over to it that he did wrong. (I was gone from the house for 10 min. and he did this. So it was fresh in his head).

#3 ·
My Russell but that was awhile ago. Moose just started and besides that when we go for walks he is sniffing the ground very excitedly (if that's a word). He is acting different like a teenage boy going thru puberty. Maybe thats it but you have a intact male does he ever act differently. Its been 16 years since I have one.

#4 ·
Rosco has never lifted his leg in our house although a couple times when I brought him over to friends that had dogs who had pee'd in their house, Rosco did cock his leg and pee because he wanted to mark over top where the other dog went. (no more visitng houses where other dogs have lived or are living...lol) I think the scent sticks around for quite a while and with dogs strong noses I wouldn't be surprised if Moose was just marking over that other dog. It's hard to say unless you remember specifically where that other dog went though so its ahrd to say.

#5 ·
Well Thank you Lisa for your input. I thought since my russell did mark that spot Moose is just going over it. He has never done this so I am alittle upset. It is not everyday either. Oh well I will deal with it and make an appointment really soon for the snip snip :cry: if this doesn't stop.

#6 ·
I agree. I think Moose is in "Puberty" and there may be a female in heat that he can smell.
It is not unusual for a dog to mark its territory for the female to follow and/or to keep other
males away. This is really a normal action for males especially if they are not neutered.
(Diapers may be the only solution :lol: :lol: :lol: just kidding). It doesn't matter how old the scent is, dogs can still smell it, so Moose, especially if he is feeling his oats, could mark over an old scent just to make it his.
Really do not know what the solution would be except to have him neutered. Good luck
:D

#7 ·
My dog used to always pee on my friends couch whenever i went over there (and he was fixed), because they had a female living there. Needless to say, he wasn't welcome after this happened a few times. I would keep correcting him when you catch him. Men i tell ya! Hope you don't have a white couch...

#8 ·
Pudge goes through phases of this behaviorgood one day, and marking everythign the next. We are working on the training, but until we get it better under control, here is what we do...ok, don't laugh, you'll hurt his wittle feelings....but this is Pudge's belly band. If he marks, it is caught in the fabric like having wet pants, and when he feels the wetness and doesn't like it, he stops marking. Not a permanant fix i know, but it keeps my house dry! We playfully call him "Sexy pants" when he has it on...

#11 ·
A belly band is a fitted cloth (usually thick) that fits around the belly area and covers the male dogs privates. So if the dog goes pee it will wet the band and feel like a wet diaper and the dog doesn't like it. This helps teach them not to go pee in the house and you won't have pee o the floor or wherever. Some people put a maxi pad undernether the band to help absorb the pee.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.