Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For a couple weeks I started to run my dog along my bike for about a mile. After about a month she started limping on her back leg. She randomly would not walk on it for a few seconds, then she will be perfectly fine. I've been taking her on walks on the grass now to ease the pressure, but she still has periods of a few seconds where she will walk on only three legs.

It's not a constant thing and she shows no signs of pain as she can still run full speed, so I'm really lost.

I have taken her to the park on a play date and let her run all over the place like everyother weekend and the surface there is horrible. It's just weird becuase there is never any relation to exercise and running. It's sort of random.

Oh, one other thing I noticed, the bottom of her pad it a bit pink. It may have been from running on the rough street, could it be to tender to walk on?

Moved to the correct location, twas not paying attention.

·
Registered
12,744 Posts
Could be hurt or sore from the surface. When Orson plays too much on
concrete, he makes blisters on his pads and sometimes it's to the point
where he limps. Touch the part you think is hurt and if she pulls her
paw back, then you know it's just a sore paw and it will heal fine.
If that is not it, could be a torn ligament or like it was in Orson's case,
could be a slipping knee-cap.

·
Banned
3,413 Posts
Same thing with Abby, but she could walk on her leg. I ride my bike with her also. I think I may have made her run too hard, cause when she had to jump to get on the couch she would squeal, or stretching she would squeal. Even getting up from sleeping was painful for her. So I was getting really worried cause we had an agility trial coming up and I almost took her to the vet to get it checked out. But after several days of resting and no hard workouts, she was fine and back to normal. I never got her hips checked, but I hope to god there okay.

It sounds like Orson, just got some tenderness on his paw. But running him on the pavement (when it nots really hot out), should get the paw pads to toughen up. I don't know if you have snow where you are, but it is especially important to have those paw pads tough for the winter snow, otherwise cracked paw pads are very uncomfortable!

·
Registered
99 Posts
Vega's been limping as well; interestingly, not after bike riding but after some serious fetching at the dog park. It appears to originate in her right shoulder. It's an on-again-off-again dealie. She doesn't seem to be experiencing any pain; moreover, our vet found nothing during her annual visit. :?

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
Her pad is probably sensitive. That would explain why she limps for a couple of seconds then stops. Most likley not an injury to her leg/arm.

When I rode my bike and got Haley to run beside me all her pads were just screwed. So I bought her little booties. She was fine using the booties.

They were regular $69, I got them for $5 just because they had been returned and they were woren for a short time!! I thought that was the greatest deal! 8)

Anyway, yea the booties had a tough bottom, and now Haley can run on pavement all day and her pads are protected.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts