Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
3,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
baylee has no visible signs of broken bones and really no reason to be limping.... but she has developed a limp since yesterday... at first i thought it was b/c she was lying on the concrete sleeping but after a bit she still limps....

so this morning, i pin her down on the floor and individually begin touching and squeezing each digit to isolate the area of concern.....well, there is no area...

i'm wondering, could she be mimicing India? India walks with a limp due to a bad elbow....

is it possible for Baylee to pick this up???

·
Registered
3,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks OD!

i haven't checked her knees, i went straight for the paw. she broke her pinky toe when she was just 4 months old.... but it looks like she's favoring the other leg instead of that one...

i'll check her knee when i get home...

again, thank you

·
Registered
932 Posts
Patch sometimes limps after w big workout of 'fetch' in the park.... cos he's SOOOO tired.

usually goes away the next day though.

·
Registered
3,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yes, i noticed it more after a game of fetch or any hard play.... it's just aggravating b/c i really can't tell which leg....

but i did touch and feel her knees, shoulders, etc last night and she doesn't seem to have any pain....

do you think a pup of 1 year could have arthritis?

34 Posts
Hmm that is odd......
There are no marks on his/her pads on his paws are there? My friends Lab was limping once due to burning her little paws on the pavement... or somthing hot live an open oven door.. do those look raw or anything? :?:

·
Registered
5,272 Posts
there could be any number of reasons that baylee is limping. hip, foot, knee, cruciate , muscle or tendon injury. if she is a young dog it could just be growing pains as well. bulldogs are so stoic that you could poke and prod till the cows come home and still never figure out where the problem really is. but to mimic another dog by limping, i wouldn't think so. i would keep her quiet for a day or so and see if it gets better, if not you may want to get some exrays to make sure there are no joint issues to worry about

·
Registered
3,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
nope, not at all....

everything on the outside looks just fine as well as the physical examination.... i did have her x-rayed when she came down with pneumonia and they said they saw what looked like arthritis in her shoulder, but also said she was too young to have developed it....

maybe i'll call the vet and have them look at that x-ray again....lord knows i can't afford another photo just to be told the same thing....

·
Registered
175 Posts
snarky said:
nope, not at all....

everything on the outside looks just fine as well as the physical examination.... i did have her x-rayed when she came down with pneumonia and they said they saw what looked like arthritis in her shoulder, but also said she was too young to have developed it....

maybe i'll call the vet and have them look at that x-ray again....lord knows i can't afford another photo just to be told the same thing....
If she was x-rayed and had something odd in her shoulder and she is too young for arthritis, have them check for OCD. It's more common in large breeds but you never know.

·
Registered
3,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
okay, so i left a message for her pull her prev x-ray, just waiting for a call back.... i hope it's nothing serious too.... love her to pieces and hate when she doesn't act right.

it's her left front shoulder

·
Super Moderator
16,022 Posts
Check her toe nails extemely well and see if she has a nail lifting up from the quick. This happens alot to this breed and is somewhat painful to them and annoying. Usually they will be chewing on it to get the nail off. This happens to Clara alot as she is always digging for bugs and in her enthusiasim she lifts up the nail. When she does, she will limp because she does not want to walk on the loose nail.

·
Registered
3,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks Pat, i will check that as well....

it's so frustrating b/c she can't talk :x and tell me what's wrong.

i just got off the phone with the vet's office, i spoke to a tech and he of course recommended x-rays.... i asked why they can't look at the previous x-ray from about 5 months ago and he said that they need a new one....

i really feel they take me for my money b/c
1. she's a bulldog and
2. b/c they say so and they will not consider anything without an xray....

i then asked what about an anti-inflammatory med, he proceeded with an xray suggestion
then he starts making me feel guilty b/c if it was his dog he'd bring him in and it seems that i care about baylee so it's best to catch it sooner than later....

then i asked him about Kismet's suggestion of OCD and he had never heard of it :?

if i wanted to give her a pill to ease/mask the pain, would i give Tylenol? and how much. she's 1 year and 45lbs.

thanks everyone..... and Pat, i will check the toenails this afternoon.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.