Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
4,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so Im just checking what people think..

Yesterday Mason and I were playing at my father in laws house..Long story short I noticed mason was walking funny sort of favoring his right foot.. Now I say limping but it's not really a full limp it's more of a tiny hobble.. It almost looks like his paw pad might be sore.. So I checked it to see if he cut it or if a sticker was stuck in it because we were running through some dirt and rocks and tree debris.. Anyhow so we got him vasoline and put it on his pads because they were really dry, put booties on him and that softened them up quite a bit.. but still looks like he is favoring that leg a bit.. Im wondering if maybe he hyper extended his leg and pulled a muscle or if it should be something I take him in for xrays for... Any comments..

He doesnt act like it hurts.. he still runs...jumps..plays just fine.. we've even felt his leg and no signs of discomfort anywhere..

So what does everyone think.. should he get a vet visit tomorrow?? I was thinking of giving it a couple of days of rest and seeing if maybe his paw just got tender..

·
Registered
719 Posts
I tend to wait if my dog (or cat, or horse) isn't in obvious discomfort. I know that when I hurt myself, I'm often limping around for a couple of days before things get better. Animals are just the same.

However, if you notice that things are getting worse in any way - swelling, more limping, obvious pain, etc., then of course you need to take him in...

·
Banned
4,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Limping **UPDATE**

He seems to still be walking a bit funny on that side.. Still no signs of discomfort

But im also wondering, does anyone think that maybe it could be hurting him and due to the breeds high tolerance of pain that maybe he's not showing it..?

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
Re: Limping **UPDATE**

Obelisk said:
But im also wondering, does anyone think that maybe it could be hurting him and due to the breeds high tolerance of pain that maybe he's not showing it..?
Thats what I was thinking. He MIGHT not be showing any discomfort or pain b/c of the high tolerance for pain.

·
Banned
4,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I cant do anything until monday anyways so maybe by then he will stop walking sort of funny.. Ill try and charge my video camera and get a small clip of it and put it up...I mean obviously if need be I can find an emergency vet but I prefer to try and go to mine..

Guess ill have to see how he does..like I said he still runs and plays and jumps...

Could it be his joints?

·
Registered
182 Posts
I'd put him on crate rest and see if it clears up.
As for the pain I had a bitch tear her ACL almost through and never make a sound..she finished the course and then limped over to her crate.
it was aboit 4 days before we realized how bad it was..she never did make a sound..even after surgery and all through her recovery.
If after crate resting for 3 days he's still limping i'd head for the vet.

·
Agent Squint
4,225 Posts
Limps can take days to heal. Plenty of rest until you can get him to the vets.

Marlee, my little darling had a limp, which I nursed. Then when morning she seemed fine no limp. I took her in the grden for a wee, but she wanted to go back to bed, so she faked a limp! Also when she wants attention from my sons friends she drags her backs legs along the ground so they go...." awww poor dog" and pick her up and cuddle her. I guess I nursed her too much!

Roxy skidded across the patio on her front paw tucked back. Shes limping but Im ignoring it and just letting her rest.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts