Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dogs do the whole listen thing when they want...I know its my fault! We let them get away with it sometimes...

my question is how do you get a dog out of that mind set...and...There are 3 adults living in my home with the dogs and not all of us react the same way with them. If someone else lets them get away with things and someone never does will they still obey the one that doesnt let them get away with it and know that they dont have to listen to the ones that allow them to not listen?

I ask this because I have been working with my dogs on looking at me as the leader...I have been making sure I go through doors first and making sure they realize I go through first. I make them wait for their food until I say OK to eat. having them sit stay when people come in the house. Making them do things because I say so. They are really good indoors (most of the time)....but the minute they go outside in the yard I dont exsist anymore. I say things to them and they look at me and they know what I am saying but they dont listen...they flat out ignore me. I really want this to change. I want them to see me as alpha. I live with my boyfriend and his brother and I am pretty sure his brother wont hold his end of the bargin with training them (and he is there all day long while I am at work with them). Will they still listen to me if they dont have to listen to him?? What do you do when your dogs dont listen to you? Just make them do what you ask or is there more to it? Both mine have a high food drive and do things for the food all the time...but not with out the food. Do I have to give them something every time they listen to me for the rest of thier lives....how do you get out of food reward? Lots of quetions I know....open to all opinions good or bad....and you can ask we what you want! I just need to fix this.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Have you tried a choke or prong collar? Loki has always been fairly good at listening to us because we make her sit before absolutely everything. She sits before going outside, coming inside, eating, getting a treat, etc etc. With those few things that she is stubborn about though the prong collar really helped tremendously. Like she would pull on the leash outside. Just make sure the prong fits snug high up on the neck. Obviously it's ideal to have all of the people in the house react the same way towards the dog, but if they know how you are they should act differently for you.

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Prong is our next step...We arent even worried about them walking outside till we get some basic whose boss stuff going on. I know I need a prong for Scarlet (shes is such a puller) but Clutch is good...hes the bahaver(SP?) of the 2. Scarlet is the one I am worried about. She is just a spoiled brat and you can see it (my fault totally). I think I mught get back to the clicker with her...as a pup that was what we used to potty train and other things and it worked well. She just knows she doesnt have to listen and I need to change that.

·
Registered
451 Posts
I think if your dog sees you as the leader it does not matter if he "gets away with things" with other people. My dog does not listen or obey anyone but me. Occasionally our trainer can get him to sit-stay, but that's the extent of it. Even if other people have treats, he'll just try to get the treat, he doesn't listen. Now, he likes to jump on everyone but me. So, if someone doesn't listen to me about not petting him until all four are on the floor, that basically ruins all the progress we have made :lol: Pretty frustrating.

The best advice I can give, is put the dogs on NILIF. If you want to work them outdoors, put a lead on them until you're able to maintain their focus. However, I still find off-lead control very difficult. But, I don't have a backyard to practice in, so that makes it even harder. I guess practice, practice, practice!

Good luck. I'm sure other people on the forum can give you some advice.

·
Registered
6,755 Posts
Tara<3Boss said:
I think if your dog sees you as the leader it does not matter if he "gets away with things" with other people. My dog does not listen or obey anyone but me. Occasionally our trainer can get him to sit-stay, but that's the extent of it. Even if other people have treats, he'll just try to get the treat, he doesn't listen. Now, he likes to jump on everyone but me. So, if someone doesn't listen to me about not petting him until all four are on the floor, that basically ruins all the progress we have made :lol: Pretty frustrating.
I'm glad I'm not the only one this happens to. Remy is pretty much a doll with everyone, but Bella pushes everyone else to their limits! My sister-in-law came over yesterday, and as soon as she walked in the door, she started saying "Bella, sit. Sit! Sit! Sit! Sit! SIT DOWN!" Of course, Bella was jumping all over her, not listening to a word she was saying because she wasn't enforcing it. She was giving Bella attention, even if it was negative attention. I've noticed that Bella only repeatedly jumps on people who repeat commands to her without enforcing them. She'll jump off the ground to try to lick someone on the face as a greeting, but that's usually the extent of it.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Having 7 sure makes it hard! When MY mom comes over, she is like surrounded with all 7 wanting attention, they swarm her and stare and kiss and climb in her lap, and then that leads to playing amongst each other, next thing you know they are tearing through the house barking, growling with a freakin sock, you can yell, shout commands above the noise, no luck. When I FINALLY stand up and scream"Alright, I have HAD it!" They all cower!

Brats!Pitbulls have got to be the biggest babies ever!

·
Registered
5,754 Posts
sajoseph said:
Having 7 sure makes it hard! When MY mom comes over, she is like surrounded with all 7 wanting attention, they swarm her and stare and kiss and climb in her lap, and then that leads to playing amongst each other, next thing you know they are tearing through the house barking, growling with a freakin sock, you can yell, shout commands above the noise, no luck. When I FINALLY stand up and scream"Alright, I have HAD it!" They all cower!

Wait ... wasn't it just a couple days ago that you were saying that Dixie stood her ground and would attack an intruder and you were sooooo certain about it that you got upset when anyone even remotely disagreed with that assessment- now you are saying they are all cowards and babies? Which is it?

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
bodazafa said:
sajoseph said:

Wait ... wasn't it just a couple days ago that you were saying that Dixie stood her ground and would attack an intruder and you were sooooo certain about it that you got upset when anyone even remotely disagreed with that assessment- now you are saying they are all cowards and babies? Which is it?
What??How do you compare the two??? When I stand up and DEMAND that the dogs stop it, they cower............when Dixie was confronted with a stranger invading her yard, she DID NOT cower. Now, If I would have marched outside and told her she had better knock itoff, she would have stopped, and listened immediatly. I am talking about my mom coming over..not a stranger.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Personally, I like and believe fully in the advice given in the book "Mother Knows Best" by Carol Lea Benjamin. It discusses how to mimic the mom's behavior to get what you want from your dog. The author does not believe in using treats while learning. Anyway, the use of a long-down is something she recommends to enforce your Alfa position. Apparently, in the wild, the alpha dog determines where the pack can go, and when. I like this, b/c it seems so much more passive than something like an alpha roll. I put Halrey in a ling down when I'm cooking, washing dishes, on the computer, whatever. It just reinforces "I'm the Boss here". Seriously, it's a great book, I'm suprised no-one on here seems to have heard of it.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Havent heard of it, but I will def look for it this weekend. I realize I have 7 dogs, 5 which are pitbulls. And even though I re enforce my alpha role, and so does hubby, I think it'd be best NOW to get started with something like that, just to keep them all in check, know what I mean???

Thanks so much. I should do a thread about books.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
sajoseph said:
Havent heard of it, but I will def look for it this weekend. I realize I have 7 dogs, 5 which are pitbulls. And even though I re enforce my alpha role, and so does hubby, I think it'd be best NOW to get started with something like that, just to keep them all in check, know what I mean???

Thanks so much. I should do a thread about books.
I think there's already one...it's a sticky. This book isn't on the list, but I keep going back to this one. I've read it like 5 times :oops: . I just find it has really useful, practical advice. Let me know if you do get it :D

·
Registered
74 Posts
nanniesrock said:
Personally, I like and believe fully in the advice given in the book "Mother Knows Best" by Carol Lea Benjamin. It discusses how to mimic the mom's behavior to get what you want from your dog. The author does not believe in using treats while learning. Anyway, the use of a long-down is something she recommends to enforce your Alfa position. Apparently, in the wild, the alpha dog determines where the pack can go, and when. I like this, b/c it seems so much more passive than something like an alpha roll. I put Halrey in a ling down when I'm cooking, washing dishes, on the computer, whatever. It just reinforces "I'm the Boss here". Seriously, it's a great book, I'm suprised no-one on here seems to have heard of it.
sounds alot like an armchair trainer. for instance when training my dogs in obedience we do 20 minute sit stays(not allowing them to lay down, only head and tail allowed to move) and a 20 minute down stay everyday. The hardest part was breaking the young male of whining during his sit stay, he still whines like a little girl when he's in a sit stay with distractions.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.