Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Logan is like my clumsy kid, I swear.

This time, he pulled one of his claws out. Not sure where he did it, we think he got it caught in the metal security screen. It was bleeding from the base of the nail, and he limped around on it, then the next day the whole claw was gone.

Tried to clean the would as best I could. He's already on antibiotics from his fox tail in the nose incident a week ago.

Anything else we need to do?

·
Registered
7,413 Posts
I hate tonails. Second only to ears! It looks like someone was slaughtered in your house! :shock: Sophie ripped one of hers off a couple of years ago. She was jumping off the deck and evidently caught it between the planks. Ouch! Didn't take long to recover, though.

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
I've had this problem a few times. The joys of owning an over-active squirrel killer i guess! :lol: I wouldn't worry too much. I had kept it wrapped for a couple days with vet wrap, gauze, and put polysporin on the (lack of) nail to help with healing. Mostly it's just the waiting game. Just try to keep him from tearing around the backyard or whatever, cuz they can rip open again, and then more blood, and you have to start all over again.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It seems to have closed up pretty well. I know it hurts him because if he's not excited, he limps on it. If I try to look at it, he tries to hide his foot from me, which is kind of funny.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
halo said:
Mary said:
When they rip them completely out like that, do they grow back?
Yes they do
Did yours ever grow back at a weird angle? My vet told me it's possible, her dogs nails that have been ripped out grow all weird now. Thankfully it didn't happen to me either...just wondering

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
peeblerelf said:
Did yours ever grow back at a weird angle? My vet told me it's possible, her dogs nails that have been ripped out grow all weird now. Thankfully it didn't happen to me either...just wondering
Acually it was my rotty who passed and yes he had anthpop in the nail after it not only grew funny the quick was dead so it didn't matter how short you cut after that. , my chow lost one the same way and he was fine grew back normal so it depends on the animal

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
halo said:
peeblerelf said:
Acually it was my rotty who passed and yes he had anthpop in the nail after it not only grew funny the quick was dead so it didn't matter how short you cut after that. , my chow lost one the same way and he was fine grew back normal so it depends on the animal
I have never heard of the quick dying...would cut back on all the nail cutting incidents!

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
yeah what happen to the rotty is a stupid vet who didn't know anything(I have a new one now) when he ripped the nail off I took he to this vet that was open was at night. and the vet decided he would cut all his nails while he was there only problem is he use real beby toe nail clippers instead of dog nail clippers I asked him are you sure those are alright to do he said yes and cut them all that night I had to rush him to hospital when I looked down all his nails were lifted straignt up in the air and when i took a closer look they had all split from those darn clippers he use on the bottom and where coming off. they had to take all his toe nails off all he had was little bones sticking out. all the quicks died the nails still grew but no problem cutting them cause you couldn't hurt him with dead quicks. But he did fine through everything and lived just fine But I wanted to kell the vet for crushing them and making them all split.
He is no longer in biz.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts