Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We took Loki to her first day of training at a local club, Upper Bucks Working Dogs. She had a great time! She was weird at first, barking at people, but it was because it was such a strange environment. She warmed up and turned it on. They were messing with her with a flirt pole, a tug, among other things. She wanted to tear it up! They seem to be a great club. They make their own raw food which Loki loves! The other dogs that were there were amazing :p

Loki getting the tug. She bit it so hard the bar inside bent.

A happy bully with her trophy and her proud owner :p

They wanted to see if she would go after the sleeve. She got the idea quickly

This pup is the cutest thing. Hes a Joshua dog, Cyrus. He is a little live wire!

This dog is unbelievable. Onyx out of Blackchamps. His owner Jeff is one of the nicest people I have ever met.

The club owner's AB Dealer. He is an awesome dog.

The decoy's Presa Canario. This dog had the nicest body I have ever seen on a Presa.

The decoy's Colby pit. Now this is a pit bull!!!!!

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Beetle said:
Now that is a beautiful dog.

Loki seems to have enjoyed herself. Great pics!
Thanks! She had so much fun. I cant wait to go back. The pit, Duchess, is such a pretty girl. Shes about 50lbs, perfect.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Cool pictures! Loki looks great! But can I just ask what she is training to be? I mean, what is the training club all about? :?

·
Registered
8,671 Posts
Glad to see you decided to get out there and do something with Loki! I am sure you will both enjoy it very much!

What are some of the goals of the other club members? Is everyone training towards the same thing or does everyone have their own plans?

That one decoy needs to get some scratch pants! Boy is he brave!

Good luck with the training and I look forward to seeing more pictures in the future!

·
Banned
3,413 Posts
Awesome pics Kogeki! Is that agility equipment in the background :D ? You know I would love to see Loki do some agility, I bet she would love it along with her other activities at the club.

I just joined an agility club myself too. It's really great, and much less exspensive then those crazy agility classes I use to take. Also, national and international agility competitor is teaching the classes at the club! She's won Incredible dog Challenge and AKC championships on t.v and much more. I can't wait to start classes w/her!

·
Registered
4,500 Posts
Abby or whoever, How much is agility classes in your area. I know of a place here in Miami that charges $40 an hour. Is that good or what. Maybe I will take Moose later on this year. I took my Russell and he had fun but I really didn't have the time to devote to it. Just a thought.

Loki looks great and looks like she had a lot of fun. The AB laying down reminds me of my baby Moose. Just the angel and look he is giving.

·
Banned
3,413 Posts
debs said:
Abby or whoever, How much is agility classes in your area. I know of a place here in Miami that charges $40 an hour. Is that good or what. Maybe I will take Moose later on this year. I took my Russell and he had fun but I really didn't have the time to devote to it. Just a thought.

Loki looks great and looks like she had a lot of fun. The AB laying down reminds me of my baby Moose. Just the angel and look he is giving.
Debs - $40 an hour is a lot, I would look elsewhere for classes. Check out: http://www.cleanrun.com They have a list of clubs and classes. At my agility club, it cost $75 for a 1-2 hour class once a week for 6-weeks. I use to pay $125 for a 6-week session. Goodluck searching though! I'm sure there's bound to be the perfect agility club for you and Moose! :wink:

·
Registered
451 Posts
I'm not sure how great this price is, but I just paid $165 for 8 weeks of agility training. Classes are one hour long. In all honesty, I can afford it, it's not that much money. I'm just happy I finally found a place that isn't anti-pit bull :D even though most dogs there are Shelties and there were a couple Jack Russels.

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
debs said:
We said the same thing. He looks like Moose!

·
Banned
3,413 Posts
Tara<3Boss said:
I'm not sure how great this price is, but I just paid $165 for 8 weeks of agility training. Classes are one hour long. In all honesty, I can afford it, it's not that much money. I'm just happy I finally found a place that isn't anti-pit bull :D even though most dogs there are Shelties and there were a couple Jack Russels.
If you can afford it then that's great. Actually $165 for 8 classes, isn't that bad. That's like $20/class. Most places, at least around here are not breed-specific, some people in the classes just don't appreciate them as much as we do. We went to a couple agility shows and everyone absolutely LOVED Abby, one lady who owns a Sheltie is actually thinking of getting an AB after seeing Abby do agility and meeting her. Just be prepared, if you start showing sometime, Boss is going to be getting A LOT of attention. :wink:

By the way, I would love to see pictures of Boss doing agility. Glad to hear another bullie is starting agility. :D

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
That looks like fun! She took to the sleeve work right away? Is that normal or expected?

I think Mo could do it. When we play tug, I bat him around a little (gently folks) and he doesn't let go...he actually seems to like it. Is that a good sign Lisa?

I agree Thom, the pit is beautiful. Seems like her head looks like a GS....or is it just me?

·
Registered
451 Posts
ambulldogpup said:
Tara<3Boss said:
If you can afford it then that's great. Actually $165 for 8 classes, isn't that bad. That's like $20/class. Most places, at least around here are not breed-specific, some people in the classes just don't appreciate them as much as we do. We went to a couple agility shows and everyone absolutely LOVED Abby, one lady who owns a Sheltie is actually thinking of getting an AB after seeing Abby do agility and meeting her. Just be prepared, if you start showing sometime, Boss is going to be getting A LOT of attention. :wink:

By the way, I would love to see pictures of Boss doing agility. Glad to hear another bullie is starting agility. :D
Oh plus I needed two private sessions because the training place requires that the senior puppies have done three levels of obedience training, and Boss has done 0. So yeah, he had to learn a couple new commands and the trainer wanted to see how well he does with obedience. Each private session is $35, which is a bit expensive but I don't mind, I just want him to have something to do.

Anyway, the owner is very nice, and surprisingly (having never owned an APBT) very knowledgable about the breed. She even told me about a couple labs that had to be "excused" from her classes because they just couldn't get along with other people or dogs. I'll be sure to post some pics once he gets the hang of it!...Oh man, sorry to hijack your thread kogeki!

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Lisa said:
Glad to see you decided to get out there and do something with Loki! I am sure you will both enjoy it very much!

What are some of the goals of the other club members? Is everyone training towards the same thing or does everyone have their own plans?

That one decoy needs to get some scratch pants! Boy is he brave!

Good luck with the training and I look forward to seeing more pictures in the future!
The club does quite a bit. Some are doing tracking, Search and Rescue, agility, PSA, and some others. Some people just obedience. There were only a couple people there this time because they had to have it at the house yesterday. Its usually its in a big field.

That decoy is nuts. He would probably not use a sleeve if he could. He knows no pain though so I thnk that says something towards him being a decoy :p

I cant wait until next week.

·
Registered
8,671 Posts
I think Mo could do it. When we play tug, I bat him around a little (gently folks) and he doesn't let go...he actually seems to like it. Is that a good sign Lisa?
That depends, Cannon. Drive is definitely important and the fact he holds on tight is a good sign BUT not all dogs who will play tug with their owners will succeed at protection training. Some dogs have drive, but if their nerve base isn't that good they can find conflict with biting a tug/sleeve/suit being donned by another person. Some dogs just can't handle that. Some dogs will also freak out at new places or from enviornmental stress (sudden noises, strange objects etc) that they experience on the training field. Some will do well until the helper starts putting pressure on them (drives, stick hits, yelling etc). Other dogs will fall apart when their freedom to work is taken away and they must start working under control of their handler. Its really hard to say...there are so many things to consider when trying to determine if you have a canidate for personal protection work. Not saying your boy isn't cut out for it by any means, the only way to know for sure would be to join a club and find out. :D

·
Registered
451 Posts
Lisa said:
That depends, Cannon. Drive is definitely important and the fact he holds on tight is a good sign BUT not all dogs who will play tug with their owners will succeed at protection training. Some dogs have drive, but if their nerve base isn't that good they can find conflict with biting a tug/sleeve/suit being donned by another person. Some dogs just can't handle that. Some dogs will also freak out at new places or from enviornmental stress (sudden noises, strange objects etc) that they experience on the training field. Some will do well until the helper starts putting pressure on them (drives, stick hits, yelling etc). Other dogs will fall apart when their freedom to work is taken away and they must start working under control of their handler. Its really hard to say...there are so many things to consider when trying to determine if you have a canidate for personal protection work. Not saying your boy isn't cut out for it by any means, the only way to know for sure would be to join a club and find out. :D
How would you test that beforehand? You know what I mean? Do you do a temperment test before you start any training or something like that?

·
Registered
8,671 Posts
Tara, its best to just take your dog out to a club and be evaluated by an experienced trainer unless you have experience with this type of training already and its also not always cut and dry after one session. Meaning, a dog may look good for a while, but then down the road it could fall apart due to not being able to handle certain pressures. It is not uncommon for people to spend a year or two working a dog to only end up washing them out. Training dogs can sometimes be so depressing!!!! :sad1:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts