Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently I was asked if I was going to breed my OEB Female. At first I wasn't sure but several people I know all want a OEB pup now. The ones that are serious offered rretainers so to speak and asked if I did let them know.

First from having a friend who breed APBT I have to wait for the first few heats.

1.) When do they generally start there heat cycle (age wise) I know some differ but just around about age.
2.) With OEB do they have to be AI and then C sections? I know EB's generally do - but given a little size different I don't know.
3.) Studs - I would love to use a friends OEB but he doesn't have papers and can not give me the Dam and Sire's name, I would like to keep a line going, am I wrong in doing this?

ANy help would be gretly appreciated.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Medic Batista said:
Recently I was asked if I was going to breed my OEB Female. At first I wasn't sure but several people I know all want a OEB pup now. The ones that are serious offered rretainers so to speak and asked if I did let them know.

First from having a friend who breed APBT I have to wait for the first few heats.

1.) When do they generally start there heat cycle (age wise) I know some differ but just around about age.
2.) With OEB do they have to be AI and then C sections? I know EB's generally do - but given a little size different I don't know.
3.) Studs - I would love to use a friends OEB but he doesn't have papers and can not give me the Dam and Sire's name, I would like to keep a line going, am I wrong in doing this?

ANy help would be gretly appreciated.
Can you give reasons of why you should breed your OEB? How can breeding your dog improve the breed?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes

1. Tempermant, This can be a double edge sword of an answer because some say tempermant is a learned trait some say it is nature. Well learning from my ABPT I can say it is a little of both seing that his sister had to be put down because she was just pplain nasty were as he is a big mush of joy and repsect.(both ways). Jezabel has an excellent tempermant so far. she has nice presentation for her age, color/markings. Talked to a vet near me and without having a conflict of interest he said if it was his dog he would breed her with the right Sire.

2. I know there are plenty of breeders - I dont want a puppy factory or to try to get rich off her. I figured if I was to breed her for 1 or two heats if there was a demand from people I knew or if the first litter brings a demand for one more then I see no harm as long as I know they are going to good homes and that they are of the same mold (to coin a phrase).

3. I see to many puppy factories(just let them mate and keep going) I don't want that, what I want is a dog with the looks and tempermant that is most desirable to some. Hope I do not sound stupid or redundant. Just my opinions

·
Registered
886 Posts
well you wont get this reply from most people on this site, but i would say go head if you test the sire and have maybe your vet look at the sire and make sure he is healthy. Also have tempurment tests done and check for a history of hip problems. OEBs are a rare breed and if you breed your dog right i think it would be a good thing. There are a lot of hardships with breeding though, its a lot a lot of work and costl, im guessing your friends are goin to expect the dogs for free or cheap, just make sure the people wanting dogs are willing to at least cover your costs for food and vet bills.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Most dogs go into their first heat between 7-10 months.

You would need to wait until the second heat.

Most OEBs should be free whelpers and should not require AI. That is part of the reason OEBs were created.

I wouldn't use any stud where you didn't know the pedigree.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ty

Thank you,

I was hoping to find a stud around my area. Not too mny OEB's to my knowledge. I know of a few english breeders hoping when the time comes they can point me in the right direction. And as far as cost of the pups I had one person say they would assist in the cost, how true it is I don't know

My biggest question/fear/concern is birthing again they are free whelpers but do they have to have c sections generally?
With my APBT we had no worries when he was born and the mom did great, but my friend has no experience with EB and OEBs.

Leaving me to ask questions and do research.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
1. Are you aware of all the health problems OEB's are susceptible to? The list goes on & on. OFA of the hips is a MUST.

2. This is a WORKING breed & should be bred for just such activities. In what areas do you work your dog? How has she excelled?

3. Your friend's "stud" doesn't have any known pedigree & he can't offer any more information. How do you know his dog isn't just a mixed breed dog that bears a close resemblence to an OEB? You don't.

4. Good, reputable, honest breeders NEVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER breed unproven, untested, possibly mixed breed animals & they NEVER EVER EVER EVER EVER breed to sell......they take pride in what they produce & KEEP what they produce so they can further enhance their own yards. If anyone does the opposite, then they are a back yard breeder and/or puppy peddler......no "ifs", "ands", or "buts" about it.

·
Registered
704 Posts
I will say that while OEB's are considered a rare breed, there are many people out there breeding them. Currently there are 10 or more registries for the breed depending on the bloodlines you are working with (IOEBA,CKC,ARF,OEBA,VBA,UBA,WBA,etc). There is also a huge cluster of OEB breeders in the New England area. New England Bulldogges, Heavy Duty Kennels, Mighty Mac Bulldogges, Mighty Grip Kennels, Blacknight OEB's and so on.... I will post a few breeder list links so you can contact them and discuss your dog, your ideas, etc... line up a mentor to work with (I highly recommend it)

I never recommend breeding a dog until the 3rd heat at the minimum. Generally that puts the female at 2 years old or older. Most females have thier first heat between 6-14 months, although some may cycle earlier and others later. Most OEB's do breed and whelp naturally, but that all depends on how much English Bulldog blood is in the line...there are many kennels doing stright English Bulldog x ? crosses and calling them OEB's that there are numerous kennels that seem to be producing oversized English Bulldogs. Please do alot more research before taking on the role as breeder.... I would definitely not breed to a non-papered dogge.

What bloodlines are your dog from? That would be a good place to start looking for information. Find out what health issues are in the line, what breeds are in the makeup of the line, temperament issues, size,workability, etc.

Beware of the people who say they want a pup now...99% of those people will back out of the deal when the pups are ready to go to thier new homes. They will beg for a pup, even come over to play with them..then when it's time to pay up or take them home..they have something that has come up and they are not in the position currently to take them. Unless you get deposits from people, don't expect everyone on your list to follow through. (even people with deposits can and do back out)

Here are a couple links to look at...also, you can google Olde English Bulldogge, and come across numerous breeder sites, info links, registry info, etc.

http://www.ioeba.net

http://www.dogresources.com/olde.html

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
bigut64 said:
well you wont get this reply from most people on this site, but i would say go head if you test the sire and have maybe your vet look at the sire and make sure he is healthy. Also have tempurment tests done and check for a history of hip problems. OEBs are a rare breed and if you breed your dog right i think it would be a good thing. There are a lot of hardships with breeding though, its a lot a lot of work and costl, im guessing your friends are goin to expect the dogs for free or cheap, just make sure the people wanting dogs are willing to at least cover your costs for food and vet bills.
I agree go for it

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Carrie said:
I will say that while OEB's are considered a rare breed, there are many people out there breeding them. Currently there are 10 or more registries for the breed depending on the bloodlines you are working with (IOEBA,CKC,ARF,OEBA,VBA,UBA,WBA,etc). There is also a huge cluster of OEB breeders in the New England area. New England Bulldogges, Heavy Duty Kennels, Mighty Mac Bulldogges, Mighty Grip Kennels, Blacknight OEB's and so on.... I will post a few breeder list links so you can contact them and discuss your dog, your ideas, etc... line up a mentor to work with (I highly recommend it)

I never recommend breeding a dog until the 3rd heat at the minimum. Generally that puts the female at 2 years old or older. Most females have thier first heat between 6-14 months, although some may cycle earlier and others later. Most OEB's do breed and whelp naturally, but that all depends on how much English Bulldog blood is in the line...there are many kennels doing stright English Bulldog x ? crosses and calling them OEB's that there are numerous kennels that seem to be producing oversized English Bulldogs. Please do alot more research before taking on the role as breeder.... I would definitely not breed to a non-papered dogge.

What bloodlines are your dog from? That would be a good place to start looking for information. Find out what health issues are in the line, what breeds are in the makeup of the line, temperament issues, size,workability, etc.

Beware of the people who say they want a pup now...99% of those people will back out of the deal when the pups are ready to go to thier new homes. They will beg for a pup, even come over to play with them..then when it's time to pay up or take them home..they have something that has come up and they are not in the position currently to take them. Unless you get deposits from people, don't expect everyone on your list to follow through. (even people with deposits can and do back out)

Here are a couple links to look at...also, you can google Olde English Bulldogge, and come across numerous breeder sites, info links, registry info, etc.

http://www.ioeba.net

http://www.dogresources.com/olde.html
=D> =D> =D>

·
Registered
886 Posts
Miakoda said:
4. Good, reputable, honest breeders NEVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER breed unproven, untested, possibly mixed breed animals & they NEVER EVER EVER EVER EVER breed to sell......they take pride in what they produce & KEEP what they produce so they can further enhance their own yards.
If That is true then why cant you find a EB, or OEB for under 1200 dollars, of course they breed to sell. If they didnt then they would accept the costs of medical expenses and food only.

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
bigut64 said:
Miakoda said:
4. Good, reputable, honest breeders NEVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER breed unproven, untested, possibly mixed breed animals & they NEVER EVER EVER EVER EVER breed to sell......they take pride in what they produce & KEEP what they produce so they can further enhance their own yards.
If That is true then why cant you find a EB, or OEB for under 1200 dollars, of course they breed to sell. If they didnt then they would accept the costs of medical expenses and food only.
thats the thing, the money they do "make" when selling puppies usually does only cost the medical expenses and food.

BYB's of course sell them for that much to make money because they dont really put any money into the dogs before breeding. but a RESPONSIBLE breeder most likely doesnt break even after selling the puppies, with the costs of health tests, vet checks for mom and then puppies, AI(EB's very rarely breed naturally) and the costs of a C-section, it costs literally thousands of dollars to have a litter of EB's. and if they do happen to make any money it is put right back into the dogs.

OEB's are suppose to be a bit healthier and easier to breed but i imagine it still costs quite a bit

see thats why it's hard to find a truly responsible breeder, there arent many breeders out there that actually do everything that defines a responsible breeder.

most do the bare minimum like health testing and titling and figure after that it doesnt matter, but there is much more to being a responsible breeding than just health testing and titling

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
bigut64 said:
Miakoda said:
Because the breeders you are looking at are nothing more than back yard breeders and/or puppy peddlers.....both are which ruining breeds left & right. You are not looking in the right place.

Buying or obtaining a dog is all about the research first. First you buy or borrow every book & magazine about your breed of choice. Then you make an effort to find shows in your area or surrounding areas to attend which have your breed of choice showing (their are bullie shows all across America). When attending those shows you meet people who own the breed & ask them every question you can think of. You get to know them & by that, you get to know the dogs, & by that you get to know the breed. You learn every aspect about the breed you possibly can & learn about responsible ownership in the meantime. Then, when you've found the right person & right dogs, you get one. You don't just log on the internet, look at some sights, & then buy one. You will end up with a genetic disaster physically & temperamentally. However, it's your choice. But by supporting byb's & puppy peddlers, then you are taking part in the desctruction of the breed & helping BSL get one step closer to being passed all across the US.

·
Registered
886 Posts
lets work this out here, a liter of pups is anywhere from 4-8 pups with EBs and OEBs right? So if you charge 1200 for puppies thats anywhere from 4800-9600. Now 4800 probably covers all the expenses, 9600 definately does. Breeders breed for money, to show this with your idea go to a show and find "good responsible" breeders. Why do the breeders who show their dogs charge more for the dogs with champion blood if they arent trying to make money. I dont care what you say they do charge more for champion bloodline, i know this for a fact. Trust me, my family has bred dogs before. Breeders that know what they are doing dont even take their dogs to the vet for vacinations, they do them theirselves, and the C-section would cost a lot but not 5 grand.

Also i didnt do any research before i bought my dog, and i love my dog, he is well behaved and i couldnt be more happy with him. I did do a lot of research after i bought him.

·
Registered
92 Posts
There is a difference between making money off your dogs, and breeding dogs to make money.
There is a difference between breeding because you love the breed, and breeding because you love your dog.

The real dog people breed so that they can make better dogs, and make the breed a better breed. Sometimes, if things turn out right, they might make a little money by selling some puppies. A lot of times, they don't, especially if they are keeping, trading or giving away a bunch of the puppies. Very few of them even make enough money to cover the costs of training, keeping and showing their dogs.

·
Registered
886 Posts
by that there are no real dog people breeding dogs anymore, or at least thats my opinion, not saying its the only way or it is right or wrong (cause thats impissible with oppinions..) Also by that statement adding that the dog has champion bloodlines (to make the dog sound better, and so you can charge more) is wrong. Basically you cant convince me a healthy dog, or good dog for the breed would cost the owner over a grand after 8 weeks old. Now i do understand that un-healthy dogs would cost up to 3 grand at 8 weeks but shouldnt that dog be put down cuz its damaging the breed?

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
bigut64 said:
by that there are no real dog people breeding dogs anymore, or at least thats my opinion, not saying its the only way or it is right or wrong (cause thats impissible with oppinions..) Also by that statement adding that the dog has champion bloodlines (to make the dog sound better, and so you can charge more) is wrong. Basically you cant convince me a healthy dog, or good dog for the breed would cost the owner over a grand after 8 weeks old. Now i do understand that un-healthy dogs would cost up to 3 grand at 8 weeks but shouldnt that dog be put down cuz its damaging the breed?
again, you are describing a BYB
saying a dog has champion bloodlines is just a sales pitch BYB's use to hook people.
like i said, just because someone shows or even health tests does NOT mean they are a responsible breeder, there is much more to being a responsible breeder.

i'm not talkin about a "reputable" breeder, people think because a breeder has a good reputation than they must be responsible, that's not true at all..there are alot of breeders out there that get high praise but when you actually look at their breeding practices you'll see that they are not responsible.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Ya wouldn't know 'em unless you had made the time & effort to seek them out (as per Miakoda's suggestions).

I think you're missing my point on breeding. As I understand it, the taking care of the pups is the least expensive and easiest part of being a breeder. Finding, titling, training, testing and proving dogs until you find some that are worth breeding takes a lot more time, commitment and $$$.

[/i]

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.