Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, Deuce always sheds a lot but this is different. He was on Ivermectin for Demodex mange, but after I ran out we decided we didn't want him on it anymore and so we haven't gotten a refill. He had a scab on his neck yesterday, but it was falling off and stuck in his hair. I started to get it out and like 10 hairs at a time would come out. I decided to check everywhere. I pinched a little bit of hair on his back and it pulled right out. I didn't pull hard at all and a lot came out. He is always scratching, and I thought it was from the mange, but they said it isn't supposed to itch. He doesn't have fleas either. Could this be an allergy to something like his food? He was on Royal Canin, but I just switched him this morning to DVP Duck and Potato since I saw his hair problem yesterday. It really freaked me out. I go to the vet tomorrow, so I will ask him, but I doubt he will be very helpful. He is nice and a good vet, but as you all know, they don't catch everything. Could this all be b/c of his food? If so I feel so bad for putting him on Ivermectin, who knows what that does to his insides. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
410 Posts
poor pup.. I dont have any suggestions tho.. Zeke had gotten some sort of mange/mite and we were told to spray frontline on him and that it would kill the mites and at that point in time he was loosing hair but had no sore spots... but never has had a case where he had scabs and since that one time he has not had any reoccurances??? sorry I couldn't help....

·
Registered
11,423 Posts
I don't know if you remember or not, but Chopper got a bald spot a while ago. I took him in cuz I thought he had mange. Turned out he didn't. The vet ran thyroid test because apparently that can cause a dog to loose it's hair. She also said it could be due to Follicular Dysplaysia.

http://www.upei.ca/cidd/Diseases/dermatology/follicular dysplasia.htm

Luckily his was only a small spot and it grew back soon after his results came in. :dontknow:

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
Hot spots?

http://www.canismajor.com/dog/hotspots.html
Dusty has a superficial pyoderma, a skin infection known to veterinarians as pyotraumatic dermatitis and to dog owners as hot spots. Hot spots are surface skin infections caused when populations of normal skin bacteria grow and overwhelm normal resistance. They are generally circular patches that lose hair, can be swollen, may exude a smelly pus, and can be painfully itchy, causing the dog to scratch, lick, or bite to the point of self-mutilation. Untreated hot spots can spread and provoke a normally even-tempered dog to growl or nip when touched.

These troublesome sores can seem to arise in a matter of hours with no warning, but they do tend to follow a pattern that helps in predicting their occurrence.

Dogs most susceptible to hot spots are those with heavy coats and histories of allergies, ear infections, flea infestations, irritated anal sacs, and grooming problems such as hair tangles and mats, but any dog can develop this infection. Dogs in warm, humid climates may develop hot spots when they shed their undercoats if the dead hair is trapped next to the skin, and dogs with behavior problems may mutilate themselves by licking and thus encourage an infection to become established.

The most common locations for hot spots are the legs and feet, flanks, and rump — areas that can be reached by licking or biting — but these localized infections can also appear on ears, neck, and chest if the dog is continually scratching.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Treatment
Two approaches are neccessary for dealing with hot spots: treat the sore and remove the underlying cause to prevent recurrences.

Veterinary dermatologist Lowell Ackerman recommends the following treatment in his book Skin and Haircoat Problems in Dogs:

trim the hair around the sore to prevent further spread of the infection and expose the edges of the lesion;
wash the area in a mild water-based astringent or antiseptic;
be prepared to use antibiotics or cortisone if the washing does not give results.
Ackerman recommends against the use of ointments or creams because they can seal in the infection and hinder recovery. In severe cases, a veterinarian may suggest the use of an Elizabethan collar to prevent mutilation and give the spot a chance to heal.

·
Registered
12,744 Posts
Orson has had same problem, except no itch. You could just barely pinch his fur and a chunk would come out, seemed his white fur was far worse. Then on his dark fur along the top of his back down to his tail, he started loosing his hair and balding and dandruff bad. ANd he gets these red spots underneath on chest too. He's always shed in chunks, but every couple of months he starts balding on his back. I did change his food recently to DVP duck & potato thinking maybe he was allergic to turkey or beef. Also giving him fish oil pills everyday and one vitamin E pill a day. His fur is now soft and no dandruff, and he still sheds (that will never go away), but it is not falling out with the slightest touch, its managable now. So i don't know what is working, the food or the pills or the combo, but for now it's what i am doing.
Ive taken him to the vet lots about his skin problems and they do all the mange checking and blood work but just put him on anti-biotics, saying "we don't know what it is"...they really have NO idea.
But GOOD LUCK, i think for me, it's gonna be a life-time battle.
Wow, i just read about the follicular dysplasia and that sounds like what happens to Orson's balding back, cause those hairs are black running down his spine. That sucks...one more thing inherently wrong with my dog...bad skin and bad knees! Poor guy!

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
The mange does itch, and also causes hair loss. The ivermectin is a relatively safe drug.

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
I would get a scrape and make sure the mange is gone just to be on the safe side. If he is still having problems with that, you will need to deal with it or he will get really out of control. The mange itself is not supposed to be itchy, it's the bacterial infections that go with it that are really itchy. Does his skin look red or irritated? You may want to try some skin supplements like Missing Link or Wellness. That stuff worked really good for my dogs.

Amber

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It doesn't look like an infection. It isn't irritated or red. He just sometimes gets scabs where he scratches all the time. You can pull out his hair anywhere, not just certain spots. I don't know why, but I just feel like it is something other than mange. I could be wrong. I really don't like him being on all the meds. He had diahrea the whole month he was on them. That can't be good for him. I go in today, so I am going to discuss the options and see what he thinks.

·
Registered
112 Posts
mange does itch

bryn had demedox mange his fur dropped out and he had scabs all over him :cry: i couldnt take him for a walk as people would stare :oops: hes over it now thank god his hair is growing bk but it does itch to the point were they scratch and make themselfs bleed :cry: but his over the worse now :wink: shirley and bryn xxxxx

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Bogart had demodex when he was four months old. Our vet gave us three options: this special dip, a high dosage of heartworm medicine, or antibiotics. She said that demodex goes away on its own and if I didn't want to use the other drugs, then she could just give us some antibiotics for secondary infections. I opted for just giving it time and using the antibiotics.

He did get itchy, formed scabs, and his fur fell out in patches too. See picture. It cleared up on its own and the antibiotics helped fight any infections.

·
Registered
112 Posts
hair loss

bryn was completly bald all his fur dropped out it was very itchy the vet gave me advecate that was too harsh for him and antibiotics to get rid of any infections he had scabs all over him every time he scratched he bleed it took him to reach 1yrs old for his imuned system to kick in he is now on the way to a full recovery :lol: his fur is coming back :) he looks great shirley and bryn xxxxx

·
Registered
3 Posts
capone also has mange, the non-contagious type. he only seems to have it on his 1 leg. he's been dipped 3 times already. does anyone know how long it takes before it goes away & is this common? the vet said it was hereditary but his parents never had it. is it common for american bulldogs?

·
Registered
112 Posts
mange

hi there bryn had the mange its not caught by there parents its the dogs imuned system all dogs have these mites but some dogs cant tolloarte them so they have it worse you should have seen bryn no fur with all scabs all over him hes over it now thank god shirley and bryn :lol:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts