Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone. I had a couple questions for you. My baby weighs 51 pounds and should, according to my vet, weigh 45 pounds. I then put her on Nutro Max weight control food, a 20lb bag and I am going to put her on regular adult food when she eats all of this. I walk her at least 2 miles a day, but mostley 3 miles a day. Those two things i'm doing SHOULD drop her those 6lbs shouldn't it??
My second question is whats the BEST way to get her muscles "cut", to show or to bulk up a LITTLE?? She doesn't even play 'tug of war' so a spring pole is out of question and she doesn't 'pull' when I walk her and I dont want to make her pull weights around when I walk her, so are there any other things I can do to get her muscles toned, 'cut' better?? They already are getting 'cut' from walking her 3 miles a day, but they are only going to get cut SO much ya know.
Any ideas would help, thanks.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Bear was putting on a little chunk so I cut him so I cut his food from 3-3 1/2 cups a day down to 2 cups (1 in the morning 1 at night). I did this a couple months ago and he slimmed down and now he is maintaining. He is on adult food (DVP Natural Balance Duck & Potato.)

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok, thanks! Yeah I cut her food back from 4 cups a day down to 3 and walk her 3 miles a day, she does real good, actualy better now!

·
Registered
17 Posts
My APB's love cat food. It is VERY high in protien so it is good for muscle growth and really helps to maintain a shiny coat. You dont want to give them alot maybe 2-3 cups a week. I have 3 cats as well so my dogs like to go in and eat what ever the cats dont. They have both been eating it since they were pups and the vet says its not bad in moderation.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'll have to try that....any particular cat food or is it pretty much any? and you say 2-3 cups a week ON TOP of the dog food given daily, how much should you mix in with the reg dog food?? Do you break the 2-3 cups of cat food down so it will be in their food EVERYday or just add like a half a cup a day till 2-3 cups were given in that particular week??

·
Agent Squint
3,627 Posts
Dngrus03Busa1300 said:
Ok, thanks! Yeah I cut her food back from 4 cups a day down to 3 and walk her 3 miles a day, she does real good, actualy better now!
That still sounds like a lot of food for her size. My males, one weighs 78 lbs. and the other weighs about 72 lbs. and they both get one cup, twice per day (2/day total cups). My female is pregnant, weighing about 78 lbs. and I give her 1 1/2 cup, twice per day. A friend of mine is doing weight pulling with his, and he limits her food, walks/runs her, and has her do weight pulling for conditioning/weight loss.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah cuz I cut her food back from 4 cups a day down to 3 cups and she walks 3 miles a day so her food isn't too much, im just tryin to cut her weight. Yeah i'm going to get her into weight pulling, but I have to research into it some more. lol Thanks for the reply!

·
Registered
17 Posts
I think catfood actually leans them out more than anything. Since catfood is designed for cats which have smaller digestive tracts the protien levels are very high. The dogs burn through the protein quickly and with exercise it goes straight to their muscles and the oils are good for their coats. People say its not good for dogs to eat cat food b/c too high of protien diets can cause liver damage, but i think thats pretty common knowledge,(like people if they were to eat redmeat as their main diet...think along the same lines as that) but in moderation it doesnt seem to be a problem. I just guestimated 2-3 cups a week to be on the safe side...they eat meow mix, seafood middles being their favorite. Mine just wait for the cats to finish eating and then go in and eat what evers left...probably equals to a few cups a week. Just be careful they may not like to go back to their own food once they get a taste of the catfood...lol. Its really more of a quick protien supplement more than anything. Start with 1-2 cups a wk either mixed in their food or as a treat and see if it does any good. I guess its sorta like an Adkins diet for dogs. Ive actually been trying to get my female to gain some weight so Ive been cutting back how much I let her eat.
I would either space it out so they get a little everyday or every other day.
...One last note...mine get ATLEAST 2.5 hrs of exercise a day, usually more unless im stuck at work.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah i'll try with a couple cups a week mixed in with her food and see how it works out. I already put in egg in her food twice a week and a 1/2 teaspoon of olive oil in her food daily as well for her coat.
Yeah well the 3 miles a day I walk her is three times a day, a half hour each mile so an hour and a half a day for excersise plus play time which is off and on all day. She will not play tug of war, she just lets the toy go for me to have it lol, it's kinda cool, but I am gonna build her a spring pole and get her on that and then once I get her locked and addicted to that she will start to play tug of war with me so it will all come together. They get cut REAL good on a springpole, their jaws especialy as well as their COMPLETE body and cardio, but not as good cardio as walking her. I will get some more pics of her up here shortly, cuz I have to use my friends digital camera. Yeah i'm a little behind as far as the digital camera is concerned lol

1 - 10 of 10 Posts