Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy,

I'm new to the forum, so go easy on me. My family and I have decided to get an English Bulldog. We've done a lot of research and this seems to be the breed for our home.

I've read over some of the stickies about how to spot a good breeder vs. bad. But I am hoping to get some positive references for the following breeder or just some opinions (good or bad).

luv-a-bulldog.com
luv-a-bulldog.com/html/puppies.html

They are located in Portland, Oregon and are just a 20min drive from our home. My wife has spoken to the owner and she has invited us to come see the puppies and her home. Obviously EB pups are not the most inexpensive dogs out there and we want to be sure our money is being well spent.

Any advice is appreciated even if it is just a first opinion based on their site content.
Thanks
-Chris

PS Is the asking price an average price for English bullies?

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
I really dont have any information on this person, I haven't checked out the site to much but they seem to have some nice looking dogs.

I'm not exactly familiar with english bulldogs, but you aren't going to spend any less than $1,000.00 and that seems to be the average price for one. But don't quote me on that.

Do you know what health testing they have done and the Sire and Dam? Do they show any of their dogs? I'd ask to see both the sire and dam in person aswell, how do they act towards people?

I know theres alot more you could look out for, maybe someone else will have some suggestions.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Bigct said:
Howdy,

I'm new to the forum, so go easy on me. My family and I have decided to get an English Bulldog. We've done a lot of research and this seems to be the breed for our home.

I've read over some of the stickies about how to spot a good breeder vs. bad. But I am hoping to get some positive references for the following breeder or just some opinions (good or bad).

www.luv-a-bulldog.com
www.luv-a-bulldog.com/html/puppies.html

They are located in Portland, Oregon and are just a 20min drive from our home. My wife has spoken to the owner and she has invited us to come see the puppies and her home. Obviously EB pups are not the most inexpensive dogs out there and we want to be sure our money is being well spent.

Any advice is appreciated even if it is just a first opinion based on their site content.
Thanks
-Chris

PS Is the asking price an average price for English bullies?
1. Don't judge a breeder by pretty pictures on websites. The worst puppy millers also have pretty pictures on websites.
2. Ethical breeders generally want to inteview YOU. They are not just willing to exchange puppy for money. Many won't even ship puppies.
3. Look for health CERTIFICATIONS (not garauntees). You want to know that genetic predispositions have been screened for (OFA, CERF, etc).
4. Ethical breeders have spay/neuter contracts for pet quality and co-owner agreements for potential show quality dogs.

I didn't see any of that on this website.
Paula

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
I know they are just pictures.... but all the female puppy pictures look odd. Something just looks wrong with them

·
Registered
704 Posts
I wouldn't feel comfortable buying from this breeder for a few reasons. 1) there are no pictures of the parents or pedigrees listed 2) she speaks of working with a "group" of breeders in importing and selling foreighn pups..that is bad news, it's essentially brokering. 3) she doesn't show her contract or guarantees 3) she's doing the same thing with Frenchie's, etc.4) on the ethical breeder link at the bottom, it says the breeder code she has listed doesn't exist

With EB's, there are almost no breeders checking hips...the majority of EB's have bad hips, they just rareley show the physical sighns due to heavy muscling. Because most EB's breeders do not check hips, it will be hard to find one who does. Make sure you get references from the breeder on past buyers, vet references, etc. See if thier dog's have a show or working record (AKC, agility, therapy dog, etc.) Make sure they guarantee for at least 2 years on genetic health issues. Don't be afraid to ship a pup from out of state if the breeder is of excellent quality.

Average price of an EB is between $1500-$2500 (due to most needing AI and C-sections)

On a side note, if you want a quality EB pup, I know of an Excellent breeder in Florida (where I got mine) Their EB's are second to none in athleticism, temperament, health, trainability, etc. 32 CH in 5 generations and they stand behind thier dogs 100%.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you all for the replies. She has just recently dropped the prices on her pups about $500.

Here is a Link to her Contract and gaurantee:
http://www.luv-a-bulldog.com/pdf/contractandguarantee.pdf

Link to the parents:
http://www.luv-a-bulldog.com/html/my_guys.html

Keep the coments coming. I did notice the "ethical Breeder" Link said it was not a correct number. but i found no were on that sight to search for a breeder. I was going to e-mail about that. Any suggestions on other questions I should ask in my e-mail?

Thanks
-Chris

·
Registered
979 Posts
Bigct said:
Thank you all for the replies. She has just recently dropped the prices on her pups about $500.

Here is a Link to her Contract and gaurantee:
http://www.luv-a-bulldog.com/pdf/contractandguarantee.pdf

Link to the parents:
http://www.luv-a-bulldog.com/html/my_guys.html

Keep the coments coming. I did notice the "ethical Breeder" Link said it was not a correct number. but i found no were on that sight to search for a breeder. I was going to e-mail about that. Any suggestions on other questions I should ask in my e-mail?

Thanks
-Chris
I saw her contract - that's why I made the distinction between health garauntees and health certifications. She has garauntees but no certifications; no different from a BYB or mill. Helath garauntees require genetic screening and careful selection of breeding stock.

Paula

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you all again. I have just sent an e-mail asking some basic questions for clarification.

Rhonda,

My Family and I are interested in one of your English bulldog pups and we have a couple of questions.

Do you have a spay/neuter policy concerning pet quality dogs or require co-owner agreements for your potential show quality dogs?

Have you screened for genetic predispositions and do you have the certifications available?

Are both of the Parents available to see and do you have a list of their pedigrees?

It was difficult to tell from the pictures but which of the puppies would you consider to be potentially of show quality?

Thank you so much for your time. I know most of us are short of it, and I hope to here from you soon.

Thanks
-Chris
I forgot to ask about the ethical breeder cetification, but I'll get that hopefully on the follow up.

Thanks again and I'll keep you posted.
-Chris

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well I got a Response. In a nut shell. Her Pups are imported from Europe. She claims they are better bread due to legal restrictions of breeding.
Let me know what you think?
Hi Chris,
Thank you for your inquiry. I will do my best answering your questions:
I don't sell my pups on contracts or co-ownership terms, I also don't sell them on a limited registration unless there is an obvious disclosed condition that would hamper the dogs ability or jeopardize the quality of life for that bulldog or any offspring produced. It is difficult to determine show quality at such a young age, they change weekly. However, from experience I could offer my opinion as to the puppies that meet the "Standard" set by AKC for show quality. I would say from the females, Opal is the best and the best male is Otis. Both pups are in sort of an awkward stage, given their age, but the structure is very nice on both, Opal would be my first choice, she has massive wrinkling in her face, neck and chest, nice rosing of her ears and a short thick body and very beautiful flashy color.
This particular litter has been imported from Europe, thus I do not have the parents on site. I have attached pics of both. Please let me know if you are not familiar with importation and I will gladly provide you with registration information with AKC.
Genetic/hereditary conditions...with European bred bulldogs, their government regulates the breeding, thus any breeder wanting to have a litter must abide by their country's breeding laws and apply for a breeding certificate. The certificate to breed reduces the number of litters a bitch can have and if there is a genetic/hereditary condition thrown from a breeding, both bulldogs are tested and which ever line has the condition, will not be certified to breed in the future. I think their governing on breeding is incredible. They also need to be a champion or a few points within champion status to breed. With the quality being so much better, it is really tough to become a champion. In return, the quality of bulldog is true and superior. In other words, my pups are not predisposed to genetic conditions. However, bulldogs in general are more likely to develop certain conditions that can not be predicted.
Most breeders do not do hip and eye certification as bulldog hips are naturally loose. I would be interested to know if you are running into breeders that do have certifications on their bulldogs? I am not opposed to doing it.

I also have several litters due myself and within the area via my stud Retro within the next month. Some fabulous show quality (we are expecting).

I hope I helped with your decision. I do appreciate that you are doing your homework before making the commitment to purchase a new bullie.

Are you planning on showing your bulldog?

Please let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thank you,
Ronda
Dam

Sire
Thanks
-Chris

·
Registered
979 Posts
She answered your questions all right!

1. No she has no health certifications. Pretty much every breed has genetic predispositions that must be screened for, and bulldogs are far from the exception.
2. She has no idea as to the quality of the parents. This whole license from the goverment thing is hogwash. Our puppy mills are licensed by the government too.
3. And as for meeting the AKC standard. It just means they look like bulldogs. She's never shown, her dogs may or may not have correct conformation.

I would not buy dogs from this 'breeder'.

JMO
Paula

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
I agree, I'd keep looking for another breeder. Maybe search Petfinder, you may find a young English Bulldog for adoption *maybe* and theres always some dog out there that needs a home. Just a suggestions...

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
She has just recently dropped the prices on her pups about $500.
This is not good. Reputable breeders breed because their dogs ARE AKC standard. They usually show the parents and that's why they know they are AKC standard, because they've won shows. That's also why they cost more as well.
Also reputable breeders have a waiting list of customers who want their puppies. They do not resort to advertising and selling pups on websites and lowering prices (because nobody has bought the pups!).

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
HELLO Carrie above said she NEW OF A REPUTABLE BREEDER of whom she bought a pup off of also Carrie is a breeder herself so she knows what to look for and what she is talking about so if you want a good , healthy pup contact Carrie for help and dont bother with this other so called breeder .

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thank you all again.

We have decided not to go with this breeder and are continuing our search. I do love first hand recomendations; however I'm located in Washington State. We couldn't get much farther from FL without crossing an ocean.

The most important part of selecting a puppy is meeting them in person and finding that "magic" pup. We are hoping to avoid shipping if at all possible. There are several other breeders within 500 miles that we are checking into. I've even sent a breeder referral request to the BCA.

We would love to rescue or adopt an Adult, but they are even harder to locate and most have special needs. Given EB's shorter than average life span we want to maximize our time spent with the new member of the family.

Mostly, we want to make sure we are getting the best looking, happiest, and healthiest dog available.

Thank you all again very much for your advise and insight.
-Chris

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
Good luck with your search,at least now you know what questions need to be asked in hopes of getting a healthy pup.
Also keep in mind that you may not find a reputable breeder near by and although you may not be able to see the parents or meet the owners it would be worth having a pup shipped if that means it is going to be a healthy pup.Many on this forum have had there pup shipped with no problems.Some offer ground transportation instead of flying, just something else to think about.Most will keep in touch by phone and email sending you pictures of the parents and pups to keep you updated on them :wink: Again good luck on your search :D

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Bigct said:
We would love to rescue or adopt an Adult, but they are even harder to locate and most have special needs. Given EB's shorter than average life span we want to maximize our time spent with the new member of the family.
http://search.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=6646349

You're right they are tough to find. But don't lose heart - just when you least expect it your dream dog will turn up in a rescue!

·
Registered
704 Posts
I met a couple EB breeders in Northern CA at a recent AKC show. I would be happy to put you in contact with them.

As far as picking and shipping a pup..think about..don't close yourself to that idea. When it comes to EB's, shipping a pup from a reputable breeder is a much better thing to do than settling for the best out of the so-so breeders nearby. This breed is so riddled with health problems, it can be very heartbreaking. I looked for years before I found my Shrek's breeder..thier dogs are tested, athletic, good breathers, active, great structure, etc..I could go on and on..I never would have believed an EB could be so healthy until I came across thier dogs. They sent me updated pics of the pups weekly, and when the time came, they flew him out to California on thier laps and hand delivered him to me. I can't rave enough about them.

Again, I'm not pressuring you.Just explaining how important a good breeder is in this breed, and sometimes you need to ship to get quality and health, instead of settling and hoping things turn out for the best.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts