Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I mentioned this in a post about Macks leg problems, but I wanted to start a new thread to get more attention. So sorry for the double posting.

When I first switched Mack to royal canin he loved it and ate every last bit until it was gone, two times a day. But recently he started only eating maybe a little in the morning and mostly at night. Now the first thing I thought is he is getting depressed about his condition, or maybe the hot weather is getting to him. But his leg is pretty much the same, if not a little better. He is inside in the a/c everyday and goes out 3/4 times a day for walks. So I dont think those are the problems, but as I started this thread and got thinking about the other post I made, it made me realize that his habits have changed. I broke up with my girlfriend and she moved out, she always used to walk him at 7am or so and then feed him. Well I dont go to work until about 9:45am so he pretty much sleeps until 9am or so now. Then I walk him and feed/water him before I go to work. Then when I come home around 6pm he usually barely has eaten, or sometimes has eaten nothing at all. So I walk him and then he always comes home and tears into the food. He hasn't lost any weight that I can tell, but I will weigh him at work this week and he will be at the vet next week to check.

Should I start adding some meat into his food, or something?
Also can someone tell me an MSM/Glucosamine suppliment I should buy (human form?)? And how much to give him a day? And just put it in his food and hope he eats it?

·
Registered
11,423 Posts
BigMack said:
Well I put some peanut butter in macks food last night and this morning and he absolutly tore into it. Is this a bad idea? It was maybe a table spoon.
I would say you're setting him up to be a picky eater doing that! He may be cutting back his food because of the heat. I fhe's not losing weight, acting normal otherwise, I wouldn't worry about it. If he's hungry....he'll eat.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Kasco said:
BigMack said:
Well I put some peanut butter in macks food last night and this morning and he absolutly tore into it. Is this a bad idea? It was maybe a table spoon.
I would say you're setting him up to be a picky eater doing that! He may be cutting back his food because of the heat. I fhe's not losing weight, acting normal otherwise, I wouldn't worry about it. If he's hungry....he'll eat.
Well he definitly didn't lose any weight, but it just bothered me that I would feed him in the morning and sometime I would go to feed him at 6pm and he didnt even touch the food. Then he wouldnt finish all of his food at night either. Its just strange to me that he attackes the peanut butter so much if he isn't hungry. He just cant help himself because its so good? Should I not put this small amount in with his food anymore?

·
Registered
11,423 Posts
He attcks it because it's a treat. Do not mix it in his food because when you decide to stop....he will no longer want the food. I know it makes you feel bad that he doesn't eat. But if he's hungry enough he will eat it. Or, try switching brands of food and see if that helps.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Kasco said:
He attcks it because it's a treat. Do not mix it in his food because when you decide to stop....he will no longer want the food. I know it makes you feel bad that he doesn't eat. But if he's hungry enough he will eat it. Or, try switching brands of food and see if that helps.
Well I just switched his food from purina pro plan (junk) to royal canin bulldog 24 about a 5 weeks or so ago. He definitly showed he liked that food much more than the purina, so I dont think its the food and I am not switching his food every month to keep him happy. I will stop with the peanut butter and just let him wither away I guess... :roll: :roll: :roll: :lol: Thanks.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Sorry to say but to me it's quite obvious. He misses your girlfriend. Your gonna need to do double time with him until get gets over her.
I truely don't believe it's the food. I would NOT add the peanut butter to his food it will make him picky. Because of the heat I would only once a day and I would make that at night 6pm or so. The peanut butter I only use as a treat in a kong for my boy Joe, he loves it and it makes him happy when he does get it. Good luck with your boy.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Josie's Proud Mom said:
Sorry to say but to me it's quite obvious. He misses your girlfriend. Your gonna need to do double time with him until get gets over her.
I truely don't believe it's the food. I would NOT add the peanut butter to his food it will make him picky. Because of the heat I would only once a day and I would make that at night 6pm or so. The peanut butter I only use as a treat in a kong for my boy Joe, he loves it and it makes him happy when he does get it. Good luck with your boy.
You would only what once a day because of the heat? Feed him? As far as him missing my g/f, I dont think thats the case, but it might be.

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
BigMack said:
Josie's Proud Mom said:
You would only what once a day because of the heat? Feed him? As far as him missing my g/f, I dont think thats the case, but it might be.
I agree that he probably does miss your ex. Dogs know whats up. But if Daddy is happier in the long run Big Mack will be too. I agree with the others don't give him any other treats, he will milk you. I had a dog when I was a kid that WOULD not eat dog food bc we gave him scrapps. He would fast for days before he would eat his dog food, what a brat!!!! Anyways, he will test you so don't back down.

·
Banned
3,504 Posts
Glad to hear his appetite is returning. Although he maybe depressed about your ex-gf not being around, a lot of his lack of interest in food is probably heat related.

We need some more pics of Mack!! And sorry to hear about your break-up :(

·
Registered
979 Posts
Okay, pardon my kibble snobbery but RC is a little grain heavy for my personal liking. Especially for such a muscular breed I would prefer something a little more meat and little less carb. JMO and I'm a serious kibble nazi who partime BARFs her dogs. So grain of salt and all that.

Paula

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
PaulaEdwina said:
Okay, pardon my kibble snobbery but RC is a little grain heavy for my personal liking. Especially for such a muscular breed I would prefer something a little more meat and little less carb. JMO and I'm a serious kibble nazi who partime BARFs her dogs. So grain of salt and all that.

Paula
So what food would you recommend I use for him that would have some more protein and less carbs? How about I just start giving him some of my protein powder? :lol:

PS... try not to use so many abreviations with my I get confused. JMO? BARF? I am lost.

·
Registered
979 Posts
BigMack said:
PaulaEdwina said:

Paula
So what food would you recommend I use for him that would have some more protein and less carbs? How about I just start giving him some of my protein powder? :lol:

PS... try not to use so many abreviations with my I get confused. JMO? BARF? I am lost.
LOL! Sorry BARF is either Bones and Raw Food or Biologically Appropriate Raw Food. JMO - Just My Opinion.

As for kibbles - look for something without all the extra fillers like corn meal, corn gluten meal, brewer's rice, white rice, rice middlings, etc. Look for something with a good lean protein like chicken or fish and a complex carb like sweet potato. Other grain protein sources are oats and brown rice. So I would say no don't give him your protein powder, switch to a food with fewer carbs. Let me think on some examples:

Fromm Chicken a La veg http://www.frommfamily.com/products_fourstardry_chicken.asp

Wellness Fish and Sweet Potato (good for allergic dogs as well as for keeping a dog lean but muscular) http://www.oldmotherhubbard.com/dogs/wellness_detail.asp?pCode=dryDogSup5MixSwtPot

Innova (might be a bit high in calorie) http://www.naturapet.com/display.php?d=product-detail&pxsl=//product[@id='1']

Innova Evo - a little expensive http://www.naturapet.com/display.php?d=product-detail&pxsl=//product[@id='1246']

Those are just some examples that I could think of, but there are many more I'm sure. Look at Mack like a body buidler -you''re eating egg, tuna out of the can, skinned chicken breast, etc not a lot of bread or pasta. See what I'm saying?

Thank you for allowing me to interfere.

Paula

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.