Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well Mack is cool with sharing his food with me, but as soon as I give him a treat that he loves its on. Like a bone or expecially a pig ear or something, he will actually try and bite me and is really showing aggression. Teeth showing, nasty growling and biting. But not succesfully, he is to slow. I take it away and he is cool. So whats the solution? Obedience classes are not an option at this point.

·
Registered
195 Posts
piss on his treat..........lol........i actually heard that from a couple people. never tried it my self. :lol:

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
GOT14U said:
piss on his treat..........lol........i actually heard that from a couple people. never tried it my self. :lol:
thanks your a big help... Now go and try it yourself then you can recomend it to someone else. :roll:

·
Registered
195 Posts
BigMack said:
GOT14U said:
thanks your a big help... Now go and try it yourself then you can recomend it to someone else. :roll:
don't get me wrong.....i actually heard it from a bull dog breeder.........

·
Registered
979 Posts
BigMack said:
Well Mack is cool with sharing his food with me, but as soon as I give him a treat that he loves its on. Like a bone or expecially a pig ear or something, he will actually try and bite me and is really showing aggression. Teeth showing, nasty growling and biting. But not succesfully, he is to slow. I take it away and he is cool. So whats the solution? Obedience classes are not an option at this point.
Obedience is always a good start. I'd stop giving him treats for the moment. A little NILIF would go along way too: for instance, make him do tricks (sit/stay/down/roll over - get my meaning) for which he will get paid a small bit of treat. Make him work for it. Don't tease him by giving him his yummy treat and snatching it away - instead of it teaching him that all good things come from you, you could be teaching him to be guardy.

Paula

·
Registered
12,744 Posts
Try holding the bone or desired item in your hand and letting him
chew on it while you hold it.
Might let him understand that item is yours and you are just
sharing it.
Could be easier to take it away when he's done.
Just an idea...good luck!

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Chopper gets possessive with rawhide chew bones. He would pick it up & walk away. If you came near him, he'd start growling. Nothing nasty, just putting us on notice, it's his! He isn't possessive with anything else. Both trainers told us to take it away. Anything that he starts to get possessive about, take it away for good immediatelly. This could lead to agression later on. Out of a bag of 10 huge rawhide bones, we probably got 5 left. We tried waiting a couple of weeks before giving it back again & the same thing, he'd start to growl. So no rawhide bones for Chopper.

Maria

·
Registered
136 Posts
Sam my goldy does that with raw hides to Storm, he'll growl and start a fight with her if she even looks at her one (while his is hanging out of his mouth). I ended up having to remove both from his mouth, he's never growled at me. I don't think I'd want to put my hands near the mouth of a dog that's growling a warning at you.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Problem solved because Mack gulped down a whole greenie (see other thread), and he wont be getting anything ever again that he will swallow. That means he wont be agressive because he wont have anything to be agressive over!

·
Registered
14,577 Posts
He's resource guarding. He's basically telling you he's the boss. Take that toy/treat away from him and tell him no when he does that.

·
Banned
1,365 Posts
I just dont give treats..unless its a large breed milk bone..no pig ears - no greenies - no raw hide and Boss Hog is not lacking he is perfectly happy with his dog food, kongs and jolly balls..

e

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Cinder said:
He's resource guarding. He's basically telling you he's the boss. Take that toy/treat away from him and tell him no when he does that.
Its so funny though because thats the only time he thinks he is the alpha. When we walk he walks next or behind me, when we go through doors I have to go first, he looks to me in any other aspect to know what to do. I will get this problem worked out, I am sure of it.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Erica said:
I just dont give treats..unless its a large breed milk bone..no pig ears - no greenies - no raw hide and Boss Hog is not lacking he is perfectly happy with his dog food, kongs and jolly balls..

e
I think I will try a kong next, but a really big one so he wont even think about swallowing it.

·
Registered
14,577 Posts
BigMack said:
Cinder said:
Its so funny though because thats the only time he thinks he is the alpha. When we walk he walks next or behind me, when we go through doors I have to go first, he looks to me in any other aspect to know what to do. I will get this problem worked out, I am sure of it.

Yeah, resource guarding is a pain. I'm sure you'll get it worked out.

Atticus only gets "treats" when I take him for his bath. So, maybe once a month he'll get a bone and/or a bully stick.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts