Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
DOGS THAT BITE

All protection dog breeds do NOT always have the ability to do bitework training. Some working dog breeders are lucky if 50% of their litters are "workable".

Yet all breeds of dogs are capable to produce a sound, clear-headed, stable protection dog. APBT's and all other fighting breeds, because of their heritage, have a higher percentage of producing very good, stable protection and sport dogs.

Dogs have 2 very strong instinct. They are territorial and social creatures. Those two traits alone are enough to produce an individual with the genetical make-up to bite anyone or anything in defense of his pack and/or home.

To see APBTs with such high desire to please, intelligence, drive, stability, happily working and soundness (as seen in those videos) should always be comendable ..... NOT criticized.

I've seen obedience competition where dogs worked with roached backs, stiff tucked tails and all stressed out. That would really lift my nose in disgust. But to see dogs eagerly obeying and doing so, so happy and merry ... is a sight to behold.

My hats off to all those trainers out there who put our breeds in the limelight, showing off all of their natural qualities in agility, obedience and bitework. Be it protection and/or other dog sports. Not saying but showing to all just how stable and capable the APBT is.

We're always under attack by those who fanatics who deem our breed as psychotic killers. Yet none of thoses fanatics have ever seen what out breed is all about. If they did, the recent history of our breed would be different. And right here we can read how damaging to our breed can fanatics be. The ones who most severely criticize bitework are the ones who know the least about it.

Knowledge should replace fear. But you need a special type of person with the intelligence and will to shed their coat of prejudices. For those who have shed their coats, my deepest congrats. For those who haven't, I urge you to open your minds and find the balance missing to be able to free yourself of the negative.

·
Registered
70 Posts
PBR and all

PBR wrote
I only have a little over 5 years experience with pit bulls (hey I am only 24) but I am learning from some of this best with experience up to 50 years with the breed.
I've been into dog training since I was 12 years old. Got seriously into competitive dog training in 1984. We're in the year 2006 and I still have never met a trainer who didn't think he/she was the best and that their word is "gospel". And I've spoken and/or met trainers from Europe (Canary Islands, Spain, Italy, France, Belgium, Holland and Germany), Center and South America and Canada.

Experience has taught me that best ones have major accomplishments to back up their phylosophy or points of view. PBR, I'll advise you take an objective view of those trainers you're learning from. If they have the same accomplishments or dogs with the same training (or better) than what Chris Fraize shows here (which I doubt judging by their biased remarks), ...... then by all means take their teachings as true. If they've never competed in anything challenging, then it should be time that you broaden your horizons. It'll be fair for both you and your dogs. Take care, happy training.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.