Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maggie is looking more and more to be in renal failure. Her blood counts are high for BUN and creatinine, she has started vominting once a day, and this morning her stools were tarry (the vomiting and stools indicate bleeding ulcers which are a side effect of being in renal failure).
Vet re-drew boold yesterday and will call with results and plan. He also put her on antiobiotics in case this was brought on by some sort of bacteria or disease.
Both my husband and I were crying this morning in bed laying with her because we know where this will end.
I was diagnosed with breast cancer 5 years ago and this whole process reminds me of it. At least I had treatment options and a good prognosis. There doesn't seem to be much we can do for Maggie other than supportive care.
I am very sad today.

·
Registered
212 Posts
If I may offer you nothing more than a few first-hand words and a little bit of comfort then I have done my job:

I have been living on dialysis for 9 yrs (today, I just realized).
Maggie may vomit once a day, but for the most part she will just feel very tired and want to sleep. There's no pain involved with renal failure but due to the great number of toxins circulating in her system she won't feel much of anything. She won't feel like eating or doing anything physical. But she will surely appreciate the grooming and petting and love you show her.
I know there is dialysis for dogs but that's something I feel isn't very fair to the animal (trust me, being the animal). I don't know how much longer it will allow her to live. I do know the expense is considerate.
I hope this helps a little bit.
Lisa

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thank you. Your words touched me - not that it takes much today to push me over the tearful edge.
Today she seems even more mellow than yesterday, yesterday more-so than the day before, etc. At first I was thinking "well maybe since we seem to have it caught it early before she really feels bad" but now I am very fearful that she will bottom out instead - which makes me think it is from something more acute and progressing at a faster rate than if it is a chronic condition.
I know I need to give the antibiotics time to work and I think the vet will want to do some IV fluids and start some other supportive meds and I need to give all that time.
So thank you and keep us in your thoughts.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts