Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
8,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, Magnus has figured out how to escape from his crate. I've NEVER had a dog that's figured it out. He pulled the metal crate out of the tabs that hold it. The door was still locked when I got home. I opened the garage, just to check on him because he was being quiet. Thank god he's in my garage, and not my house. I'll have pictures of the minor damage in a bit.

Any suggestions on how to secure the crate better? I thought about using cable ties to tie it all together, but those are plastic and he could easily chew through them.

Here are the pics:

The connections on the crate:

And Magnus, back in his crate:

Please excuse my garage, we are still unpacking :oops:

·
Registered
6,755 Posts
Holy crap! Bella definitely didn't inherit his breaking-out-of-crates smarts! :lol: I have no idea what to tell you. If you can't figure out a way to prevent him from busting out of his crate, naybe you can work on getting him to really enjoy being in his crate.

·
Registered
8,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Leeann.Bella.Remy said:
Holy crap! Bella definitely didn't inherit his breaking-out-of-crates smarts! :lol: I have no idea what to tell you. If you can't figure out a way to prevent him from busting out of his crate, naybe you can work on getting him to really enjoy being in his crate.
I'm glad Haus isn't smart enough to get out either. The problem is that I think they used his crate for punishment. He HATES to be in it. He doesn't much care for toys either, we've tried that. If we put his food in there, he spills it EVERYWHERE.

I think we may have to get some chain link fence ties to secure it.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
OMG! I would have
, no, just kidding!!!

That is the same crates that I bought for my dogs. I hope they never learn that crap!!![/img]

·
Registered
6,755 Posts
Holy crap @ those pictures!! Was he trying to get out of the garage? Do you think he might have separation anxiety? That sucks that he probably only associates punishment with his crate. :(

He looks so cute in that last picture, like "Please let me out. I promise I'll be good!"

·
Registered
8,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Leeann.Bella.Remy said:
Holy crap @ those pictures!! Was he trying to get out of the garage? Do you think he might have separation anxiety? That sucks that he probably only associates punishment with his crate. :(

He looks so cute in that last picture, like "Please let me out. I promise I'll be good!"
The thing is, he didn't really fight me when I put him back in the crate. I think I may have to go spend some time with him, because Dennis doesn't get off work for another hour. I better suit up(long sleeves and jeans). He makes me break out like crazy.

I feel like I'm living in a dog kennel. Magnus' barking is making the puppy bark. The puppy's barking is making Haus bark. :roll: Please think happy thoughts for me, I'm slowly losing my sanity.

·
Registered
8,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
sajoseph said:
Wonder how much he ate?
That's a really good question. We have replacement foam for it, so I'm not too worried about the destruction. I just hoped we could wait til September or so to redo the whole door.

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
That is insane! He looks alot like Bella and Haus in the face and he has those big puppy dogs eyes as if to say "I'm sorry I didn't mean to!"

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
What about the other type of crate? I don't that it is easy to get out of ...Or a pad lock on this one?

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Holy hell, he had a field day! :shock: No suggestions other than buying one of those "indestructible" cages, at least until he learns to associate the crate with good and not bad. Is he just in there when y'all aren't home? Did he have the chance to burn his energy before putting him in there?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Peebles is an airborne qualified escape artist. when she was like 3 months she could jump over the 48 inch high baby gate I had used to keep her and her brother in the kitchen with. She jumps right out and leaves Bam Bam in there. I bet he gets pissed cause she's goes and grabs a spot on the couch

·
Registered
410 Posts
we had a crate like that before and Zeke figured out the same thing Magnus did... what we found is that the metal is not strong enough and will flex and bend so we had to get another crate.... here are the two we currently have

This is Titus' crate
http://www.petco.com/Shop/Product.a...ist&Nav=180&N=22 97&sku=227897&familyID=1625&

and this is Zeke's
http://www.petco.com/Shop/Product.a...st&Nav=180&N=22 97&sku=243647&familyID=13908&

The wire on Zekes is thicker and stronger than the wire on the black crate like you have, and believe me there is no bending or flexing it is tough stuff, same with Titus crate very strong and durable. I think both of them that we have were for the large breed or XL but they do have plenty of room in there..

·
Registered
8,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
We used those Flexi-cuff ties to hold it together until we can get another crate for him. We also got a few padlocks and locked it up.

We put a t-shirt that Dennis wore in there with him, and he curled right up on it. It was so cute!! So he's not barking or freaking out now, I think he was just lonely.

·
Agent Squint
4,225 Posts
Leave a radio on for him, a little batttery operated one. And again I didn't know you were getting another dog or are you jst looking after him?

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
We have the exact same crates for Koda & Shelby, and Shelby has learned if she puts enough weight on the side of it that it will collapse and she can escape... Luckily, they have their own bedroom where their crates are, so she can't do any damage - until she learns how to open the door :shock:

·
Registered
8,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Roxy said:
Leave a radio on for him, a little batttery operated one. And again I didn't know you were getting another dog or are you jst looking after him?
There's a 3 page thread in the adoption section about him. We're fostering him :wink:

Radio is a good idea, thanks!

1 - 20 of 39 Posts