Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8,911 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I figured I'd start a thread about Magnus' progress. I'd like advice from everyone too.

Day 1-
We're going to count today as day 1. Wiping the slate clean, and starting over. D and I had a talk, and decided to do this as a team. We made some small baby steps today with Magnus' out of control behavior. On our walk, we made him sit at every crossing. Then, we hand-fed him his dinner(thanks for the tip Lisa) and made him sit for each bite. D would take out a handful, Magnus would look at him, D would give the command, and Magnus would sit. We put a little on the floor so that he had to stand up after each bite, and repeat the command. Then, we worked on correcting how he approaches people as they walk through doors. D made him sit at his feet, and told him to stay(which he already knows, but not well). He did not move until released after a few times. This was with me walking through the door, and greeting him as excitedly as I could. After that, we decided he needed some outside play time, just him and us. We took him outside, in our back yard, off leash to see how he'd act. He was a totally different dog. More focused on us. We grabbed a rope, and made him sit, and then threw it(couldn't find the ball). He would bring it back, and release it on command(again, he knows this one, just not well). Our goal for the next week is to drive home the sit command before we really start the other stuff. I'm so proud of him, and willing to work with him. He's food motivated, as well as praise motivated. Any tips would be very helpful. I'll try to keep you all updated. :)

·
Registered
6,755 Posts
That's great that you and Dennis are doing his training as a team. That's been our biggest issue with Bella - a complete lack of consistency. I really wish Brent would join this site and read the books that I do because I think she's be a lot better behaved if he would stop letting her get away with so much!

I need to come over and see Magnus sometime soon! :)

·
Registered
8,911 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So I decided to take Magnus for a walk today, by myself. D and I are going to a concert tonight, and won't have time to take him later. It was a shorter walk today, just to get him out and get some exercise. He did really, really well! Didn't pull, didn't stop to look at all the dogs barking at us. I'm so proud of him! He's even starting to learn the kennel command!

·
Super Moderator
15,970 Posts
I think starting at step one is just a great idea and with you two doing it as a
team, I see success written all over Magnus' training. You will have him
so well trained that you will not want to let him go. :wink:
Good boy Magnus - be the best.
:D \:D/ =D>

·
Registered
8,911 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Magnus will now sit and look at you if you have something he wants, instead of trying to jump on you. He's learning very quickly that sitting gets him far more than jumping and running around like a moron.

·
Registered
8,911 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
He's doing so well! He has only had 1 accident in his kennel since we got him back. He doesn't fight as much to get his leash on him. The hand-feeding is going really well, he's picking up very quickly on what he needs to do. He goes in his kennel without much of a fight now. He's such a happy, loveable dog!

·
Super Moderator
15,970 Posts
HausMommy said:
He's doing so well! He has only had 1 accident in his kennel since we got him back. He doesn't fight as much to get his leash on him. The hand-feeding is going really well, he's picking up very quickly on what he needs to do. He goes in his kennel without much of a fight now. He's such a happy, loveable dog!

This is a smart dog - he just needed someone to spend some time training him.
He will make someone a great pet - how much are your training fees?
:wink:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts