Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5,754 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I switched Mags from Science Diet lamb and rice to DVP about three weeks ago - I did the gradual thing, she had NO diarhea and really loves the DVp so I thought everything was fine. Shes been on the just DVP since maybe a week and half ago and all of a sudden two days ago she got diarhea (not really bad just kinda the loose piling up kind) - and then sunday night my bf came home from work and tried to push Mags over a little on the bed so he could get in and she just puked - the second he touched her she puked ALLL over my new comforter!!! I took her outside right away and she had diarhea again - now since then she has been doing that licking/smacking thing they do right before they throw up all the time - I haven't actually SEEN her throw up since then but she keeps giving me the warning signs ---- Im wondering if the DVP is upsetting her stomach and I should take her off of it?!?!?!?!

·
Registered
7,413 Posts
I had switched my guys from DVP duck and potato to the DVP Ultra Premium, just for the sake of $$. Sophie puked the whole time. I don't know what it is, because it really is good food, but there evidently is something in it that doesn't agree with her. I fed her a bland diet of boiled chicken and brown rice for about a week and a half, and it cleared up. Then I switched them all back to the Duck and Potato, and we haven't had any problems since.

I hope that's all it is with Mags. She's been through enough. :cry:

·
Registered
5,754 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Augrad - was Sophie actually puking up the food? B/c Mags hasn't been puking up any food at all -and her poops seem to have kinda leveled out as of last night they are still a bit soft but I wouldn't call them diarhea. When she's been making the puking sounds all that comes up is water/ no food - which makes me think she has digested the food already? But I don't know a lot about how the dogs digestion works so I'm not sure --- how long should I give her to see if her tummy settles???

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
If it would've been a problem with the food, your dog would've exhibited it right away. My guess is she got ahold of something either from the trash, off the floor, or out in the yard which caused dietary indescretion. It doesn't sound like the food is the culprit.

·
Registered
7,413 Posts
Sometimes it was food, sometimes just water or frothy stuff, then eventually it had traces of blood in it. Off to the vet we went! They ran a bunch of tests - some levels were off, but overall, they were inconclusive. They gave me Science Diet AD (really bland) to feed her, and when I ran out of that I started with the chicken and rice. That worked immediately, and I kept her on it for about 2 weeks to give her tummy time to heal.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts