Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I received this email from someone who is experienced with wobblers syndrom. After reading it, I have decided to give it a try. It makes complete sense. Remember that I weaned the pups at a very early age due to making mom a bloody mess when nursing???I put them on expensive really good dog food right from the beginning thinking that was best for them. While it may have been for the majority of the puppies, it may have caused Daizys disability. Read the email and let me know what you think....Would you give it a shot?

I have had a couple of young dogs come to me here in rescue with these symptoms. They had wobblers, but it was caused by them growing too fast. If she was put on a premium food and especially if she was supplemented her vertebrae may be growing faster than they can decalcify in the spinal canal. This can put pressure directly on the spinal cord and/or cause a couple of the vertebrae to tip. We corrected the problem by putting them on garbage food (Purina green bag) and only enough to prevent them from losing weight. Basically what you are doing by this is stunting them a bit to give the vertebrae a chance to stabilize. On one of them we did go ahead on get the GBI but we probably really didn't need to. Both of these dogs are now 2 and very healthy. One of them competes in agility and flyball.
Paul Santschi
Illinois Doberman Rescue Plus

I started Daizy on 1/2 Advil yesterday, and fed her Purina for dinner. Luckily she didnt have the poos from switching, she has been on Nutro since 4 weeks old. It seems to make some sense, as long as it is not too late.

I found out about the gold bead therapy. It works I hear, but costs upwards of $10000. I guess if worst comes to worse, we will consider...............but was also told to try the surgery.

Either way, this is a start.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
I started Daizy on 1/2 Advil yesterday, and fed her Purina for dinner. Luckily she didnt have the poos from switching, she has been on Nutro since 4 weeks old. It seems to make some sense, as long as it is not too late.
PLEASE do not give your dog Advil! This is very dangerous for dogs. PLEASE check with your vet before giving your dog ANY medication!

http://www.adobe-animal.com/health_medications.html

Also:
Aspirin, Advil or Tylenol? I take it..can my dog?

Q: My two male dogs got into a fight but are ok. Accept for some swelling. Once before when this happened the vet told me to use either aspirin, advil or tylenol...I cannot remember which...could you please tell me which medication is ok with canines? And how much you would give per pound? Thanks ..

A: Advil and all ibuprofen products are very likely to cause ulcers in dogs. This can happen in as few as 1 or 2 doses with these medications. Tylenol and other acetominophen products are sometimes implicated in liver damage in dogs, although this appears to be a rare problem. Aspirin is usually safe to use but does cause stomach upset in some dogs and can cause ulcers. It would be best to call your vet and get a dose for your dog and possibly to consider having the swelling checked out as well. Aspirin is not recommended in injuries in which the swelling may be due to hemorrhage as it can promote bleeding. Despite their "over the counter" nature in humans, it really is best to consult with your own vet, who knows your dogs, prior to using these medications.

Mike Richards, DVM

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The vet has told me to give her Advil. It was either long term Advil or long term steroids, and I chose the Advil, at least until we decide on the surgery, or what route we are going to take.

We are considering the Gold Bead method of "cure", the surgery implanting the steel rods or bone, or medication. Have not decided.

But yes, the advil is by vet recommendations and will be closely monitored.

I felt so bad giving her the advil, I gave her half instead of a whole!

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Well as long as you know the dangers. I'm really surprised your vet would recommend that instead of Rimadyl or another nsaid made JUST for dogs. :shock:

·
Registered
7,413 Posts
I'm shocked, too, that a vet would recommend Advil as opposed to something safer, like low-dose aspirin or Rimadyl. But I know nothing about this syndrome. Just keep a close eye on her, Steph (as if you're not already :wink:).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts