Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
8,911 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Authored by Augrad:

Here is how I've always handled mange:

There are two different types of mange: scarcoptic and demodex. They are both caused by mites.

Scarcoptic mange is the same thing as scabies. It's red and itchy, and highly contagious. Dogs scratch at it a lot, and frequently end up with secondary infections, making them really stinky as well. Treatment is ivermectin. I've always given it as two injections, one week apart, but I understand that it can be treated orally as well. So I guess this is the approach your vet is taking. Scarcoptic mange is difficult to diagnose because the mites are hard to see, even under the microscope - so vets are usually just going by the other symptoms to diagnose this. If it's scabies, it's easy to get rid of, but be sure you wash yourself frequently, because you can get it from him.

Demodex mange is different. All dogs have demodex mites all the time. Usually these don't bother the dog, unless the dog is ill, undernourished, or otherwise has a compromised immune system. Demodex does NOT itch, so the dog doesn't scratch and get the secondary infection. It is not contagious. Treatment is Mitoban dips (you can use diluted Tactic, but Mitoban is safer) - once a week for at least 6 weeks. It's much easier to diagnose, and easier on the dog altogether, but MUCH harder to get rid of.

Don't know if that helps, but that's what I know about mange.

·
Registered
112 Posts
mange

hi thx for that advice ive got a stafford hes nearly 1 years old got the mange hes bald cover in like sopts that bleed alot hes cost me over £400 in vet fees and still the same they gave me advecate no good :cry: ive also got a 6 year old jack russell who is in good shape so if it is contactous then why asnt she got it shes got a loverly gloosy coat :lol: well back to the vets next friday trying a different one fingers crossed :wink:

·
Registered
132 Posts
hey shirley something that might help to keep your dog a little more helthy ween her on too or him on too rawe meat its kept my baby bery helthy!

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
So Deuce has Demodex mange. Vet gave me Ivermectin, would you suggest Mitaban instead? Can I give him both? Which would work faster? Where do I go for the Mitaban, b/c my vet doesn't sell it.

·
Registered
7,413 Posts
Ivermectin won't hurt him at all. It's the same drug as in heartworm preventatives, and it's very safe. You can look online for mitaban. I think it's prescription only, but if you talk to your vet, he may give you the script. I get my stuff at www.lambriarvet.com. Here is a direct link: http://lambriarvet.com/i_012upjmit10.6_Mitaban+Rx+Dip+10.6+ml+vial+x+19.9+37.php

If your vet won't give you the script, you can use tactic. It's the same chemical, only in livestock strength. If you have to go that route, let me know and I will get instructions for you to use it safely.

Did your vet actually diagnose demodex, or are you going by the symptoms I listed? How long has he been on the ivermectin? Is it oral or injected?

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
The vet said it was Demodex. He has been on the Ivermectin for 2 weeks tomorrow. It is oral. He hasn't had as many scabs and irritated areas, but still getting more bald spots. Not noticeable unless u look close, but I feel so bad for him. I was told I needed a vet to do the dip b/c it is toxic. I just don't know if any will do it. I have heard it works really fast. I have to go back to the vet tomorrow, so I will ask about it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
thanx for the info i believe my blue nose pit bull has scaroptic mange the vet gave me some pills that i mixed with this food but if i dont take care of the promblem whats the long term effects will it eventualy go away i heard its passed on from one of the parents

·
Registered
4,666 Posts
Demodex mange is a pain, CC has it I've been dipping her for what seems like forever!!! It still hasn't cleared up! I have to take her to the vet agian!!! Just used the last of the dip, I'm wondering if the dig. her wrong, hers seem to ich pretty bad!

·
Registered
175 Posts
deuce's mommy said:
So Deuce has Demodex mange. Vet gave me Ivermectin, would you suggest Mitaban instead? Can I give him both? Which would work faster? Where do I go for the Mitaban, b/c my vet doesn't sell it.
Don't use Mitaban (Amitraz) the stuff is not safe and most vets have stopped using it here over the last few years. It has very nasty side effects and there are much safer ways to clear up demodex.

·
Registered
175 Posts
augrad said:
What are the safer ways for demodex?

(Im not trying to be snippy - I really want to know.)
Ivermectin (some breeds, like herders are sensitive to it though) and just anything that can help boost the immune system, as demodex is triggered my an immature immune system which allows the mites to get out of control. I have a dog that had demodex as a pup, and I was given Mitaban. I did some reasearch on it, went to another vet who said they hadn't used that in 7 years as it was not considered safe and he gave me ivermectin which worked well without the side effects. Feed a high quality natural diet and don't over vaccinate (this is what upset my dogs's immune system in the first place) but that's another topic ;)

·
Registered
112 Posts
demedex mange

demedex mange is awfull for dogs to have there fur drops out they have scabs all over them they are constantly scratching bleeding its awfull for them to go through :cry: bryn as had it for over 8 months his just getting over it now hes reached 1 years old as his imuned system as kicked in hes fighting it now his fur is coming back :lol: its something you cant discribe i thought at one point i would have to bryn to sleep as he was that much of a mess poor lad but we got there :lol: hes looking a lot better best loyal man in the world :wink:

·
Registered
48 Posts
Sandy,

Jack just got Demodex Mange also. The vet said it is hereditary, and that we've caught it early. She also said puppies from the same litter don't all get it. April and May haven't had it. Only Deuce and Jack, do you know if Diesel had it before them? Maxine didn't have it as a youngster.

The vet said it usually becomes pronounced when they reach puberty, or when they are stressed and their immune system is compromised in some way. She will be giving him the dips every two weeks beginning tomorrow, and recommended giving him Vitamin E to boost his immune system and to help the hair grow back once the mites are gone.

Good Luck on your end.

·
Registered
4,666 Posts
I just talked to a new vet, He told me that the last vet gave me meds that would work on a 5-10 lbs dog!!!No wonder it's not going away. I have an appointment for tomarrow, He said it is gonna cost about $80 a dip, She'll need about 4-5 dips before its gone :shock: Well thats where my tax return is going!!

·
Registered
48 Posts
WHOA! Ours are going to be $39 each dip which includes a skin scraping to make sure the number of mites is decreasing. The dips are every 2 weeks, and there has to be 3 "clean" scrapings for them to stop the dips. If the number of mites they see under the microscope increases, they will go to weekly dips.

·
Registered
112 Posts
mange

bryns still got denedox mange i thought it was clearing up but no he doesnt bleed so much now but its still there :cry: ive tried everything take his vest off and he sneaks up stairs for a good scratch comes down with blood on him after he as scratched himself hes very naughty :oops: he knows he shouldnt scratch but thats just him :roll: shirley

·
Registered
112 Posts
here is picture of bryn

here is a picture of bryn he as got demodox mange hes got no fur so as to wear baby vest any suggestions on helping me to get him over it im changing his diet to raw :lol:

·
Registered
212 Posts
Two questions:
How do they develop either of these types of mange?
Dog have these mange mites all the time??? ew.

·
Registered
3 Posts
demodex

hey, don't miss the boat, remember that a compromise in the immune system is what lets demodex happen, up your folic acid intake. Also stress plays a big role. Also to soothe the skin... a product called MTG, mane and tail growth found at any tack shop or TSC will help to soothe the skin and regrow hair much quicker. Alot of times it's a skin staff infection and not demodex. So don't forget your antibiotics.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts