Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone feeding a RAW diet use tubes of the RAW by a dry food manufacturer or other similar company or do you all just buy your own meats and such at the grocery store?

I noticed DVP (among others) has some now and I have seen links to Oma's Pride for some of their "mixes" also.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Thor said:
Anyone feeding a RAW diet use tubes of the RAW by a dry food manufacturer or other similar company or do you all just buy your own meats and such at the grocery store?

I noticed DVP (among others) has some now and I have seen links to Oma's Pride for some of their "mixes" also.
I find the premade raw stuff too expensive, especially since I have three ridgebacks and now an AB/Pit mix. I get 40lbs of chicken necks at a nearby farm for $17.00. I buy bone in thighs at the warehouse club (deboned is almost 2x the price). The same warehouse club sells eggs in 36 count. The only thing I can't get in bulk so far is sweet potatoes. Kale or carrots I buy as needed. Fish body oil capsules I buy at the GMC. All together it costs about as much as my kibble per month.

Paula

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
PaulaEdwina said:
Thor said:

I find the premade raw stuff too expensive, especially since I have three ridgebacks and now an AB/Pit mix. I get 40lbs of chicken necks at a nearby farm for $17.00. I buy bone in thighs at the warehouse club (deboned is almost 2x the price). The same warehouse club sells eggs in 36 count. The only thing I can't get in bulk so far is sweet potatoes. Kale or carrots I buy as needed. Fish body oil capsules I buy at the GMC. All together it costs about as much as my kibble per month.

Paula
Paula,
so you mix up a bunch, then portion it? About how long does it take. I really should start this. I get very overwhelmed by the variety some people use, and it seems complicated. you make it sound easy.
BTW, I love having you aboard this forum!

·
Registered
979 Posts
Paula,
so you mix up a bunch, then portion it? About how long does it take. I really should start this. I get very overwhelmed by the variety some people use, and it seems complicated. you make it sound easy.
BTW, I love having you aboard this forum![/quote]

Thanks nanniesrock.

Let me start by saying that I am no expert on BARF, and I only do one out of two meals (pm meal) this way a day because I'm not completely confident that I'm meeting all their nutritional needs (probably am but I'm really neurotic about my dogs).

Method

1. I debone all my thighs ahead of time. If you're looking for a human diet trick debone 20lbs of thigh before making your own dinner - you won't make your own dinner! I freeze portions (a few days worth per pack). I'll scald the entire pack for those few days ahead of time (just to take the slime and ick off the thighs - purely for my benefit). I sometimes get some gizzards and hearts. Those I scald as well.

2. I get the necks fresh and freeze them in few-day portions too.

That evening I'd rinse the necks in hot water just to take the chill off, but they are raw. I'd grind up about 4 cups of kale or carrots (finished) and throw about a cup in each bowl. About 1/2 a thigh and two necks is plenty - it is very easy to over feed on BARF. About 1/2 a small potato. One raw egg and one fish body oil capsule's contents.

It doesn't seem like a lot but it really is. When I started BARF Nandi gained like SEVEN pounds. Ideally I like sweet potatoes instead of regular potatoes but I haven't found a way to get a sack of them as yet. I don't like using thigh bones or wings because I'm afraid of the jagged bones - even raw - and how they gulp their food.

Come this hunting season I've asked my friends to bring home the deer legs instead of cutting them off in the woods. The dogs LOVE that stuff. Also I was thinking about using whole rabbit carcasses (you can get them at places like haretoday.com that caters to the raw crowd), but I'm not sure. Rabbit isn't cheap.

More than you needed to know?
Paula

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Not at all. I find the subject fascinating (I should really get a life). It still seems like way more than Harley would eat. She only eats about 1 cup of kibble per serving. Also, she absolutely will not eat any vegetable vountarilyl. I'd have to find a way to mix it, or she'd eat the chicken & leave the rest.

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
I've bought Nature's Variety and Farmore bufalo before. My dogs love the Farmore. The Nature's Variety is pretty pricey depending on where you can get it. Meat is expensive in southern California so for me the Farmore isn't too bad. I think it works out to about $3 a lb. Bravo is supposed to be more affordable but I haven't found a distributor in my area yet. I like the products they have because they carry ground meat/bone with nothing added. This way you have more control over the veggies and supplements you want to add. I'm not crazy about tha Natural Balance stuff because they only make chicken and beef. I can get both of those cheaply at a supermarket.

·
Registered
979 Posts
nanniesrock said:
Not at all. I find the subject fascinating (I should really get a life). It still seems like way more than Harley would eat. She only eats about 1 cup of kibble per serving. Also, she absolutely will not eat any vegetable vountarilyl. I'd have to find a way to mix it, or she'd eat the chicken & leave the rest.
Oh, that cup of ground veg is more like a handful of ground veg. I really had a problem with overfeeding at first. A meal was a potato, ground veg, a thigh AND 3 necks.

Paula

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
I mix the veggie glop with ricotta cheese or yogurt and the dogs really love it. I've heard of people mixing it with canned sardines or salmon too. I guess the fishiness hides the veggies well. This is a feed calculator that help to figure out how much your dog needs. I've been feeding 2% of Chico and Heidi's body weight and they both lost weight. I had to up Chico's food a little. http://www.raw4dogs.com/calculate.htm

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
I have never used pre-made raw food. Although I know there are some good ones out there, the best ones are usually very expensive.

I would say it costs me half as much to feed/month as kibble. Mind you I used more expensive holistic kibble. One thing you need to save yourself $ is a big freezer. I buy chicken frames in bulk (usually 60-120 lbs) for under $ 0.20/lb. I spend more on gas, that's why I buy so much, also I tend to try and get someone I know to get an order and chip in for gas. The frames are very good sources of bone/cartilage. I give Jazmine the frames for breakfast. I also buy grass fed green tripe from a farmer in big 20 lt pails and feed it at least 2-3 times/week for dinner. I rotate pork, lamb, beef, fish (mostly salmon), and sometimes goat for dinner. I buy this stuff from the butcher, farmers, and sometimes grocery stores when there is a big sale. When there is a great sale I buy as much as I can.

She also get veggies for dinner. I try to buy organic veggies, and if I don't then I soak or spray them with grapefruit seed extract (you can do the same for the meat). I buy lots of green leafy vegetables, as well as carrots and sometimes I throw in things like squash or zucchini. I usually do the veggies every couple weeks. They have to be pulped in a food processor. then I mix them all together and put them in freezer containers (enough for 3 days).

I also never buy any grocery store eggs. All my eggs are farm fresh.

Because I buy so much in bulk I save a lot of money. I generally never pay over $ 1.50/lb for meat.

Also, some people who feed barf do not feed veggies, and most do not feed any grains or starchy foods.

Edit: I forgot to say that when I get my meats/organs I generally spend a couple days separating and bagging. The worst is the tripe (mixed with heart and lung). But it takes me about 20 mins to separate and bag 20 litres. All the rest of my meat is sometimes ground but mostly just all kinds of pieces (ie: Lamb I get ground and the breast bone, spine, tail, and other parts). I separate into dinner portions. And I use cheap bags for the chicken frames and better ones for the rest. The cheap ones tend to always leak blood. :pukeright:

So every night I take out Jaz's chicken for breakfast from the freezer and put it into a stainless steel bowl to thaw. Then in the morning I do the same for her dinner.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
I do have a large deep freezer in the basement & a wholesale meat outlet only 20 min. away. I could probably feed her for less than her kibble. (She gets only the good stuff, or she loses lots of hair)
You're saying it's possible to meet her nutritional needs w/ out veggies/starches?
Mixing with ricotta, or yogurt won't work for me, she won't eat those things. I have the only dog I've ever heard of who doesn't even like peanut butter :lol:

·
Registered
979 Posts
nanniesrock said:
I do have a large deep freezer in the basement & a wholesale meat outlet only 20 min. away. I could probably feed her for less than her kibble. (She gets only the good stuff, or she loses lots of hair)
You're saying it's possible to meet her nutritional needs w/ out veggies/starches?
Mixing with ricotta, or yogurt won't work for me, she won't eat those things. I have the only dog I've ever heard of who doesn't even like peanut butter :lol:
Here's my 2cents about not feeding veggies and starches....why the heck not? But like I said at some point in some thread, I'm not trying to emulate wolf, I'm trying to emulate healthy-fishing-village-in-Tobago dogs and they got startches and veggies (cooked). I'd be very worried about missing some nutrient if I stopped giving my dogs their veggie and starch (complex)- especially since I keep my BARF basic - so I keep them in.

Paula

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
nanniesrock said:
Some dogs don't do well with grains. They can cause allergies. Here is an article about why. Dogs with arthritis should avoid nightshade veggies like peppers, tomatoes eggplants, and white potatoes. They cause inflamation. I give Heidi potaotes and brown rice ecause it is good for dogs that have liver and pancreas problems. I guess every dog is diferent. My dogs adore their veggies so I figure it's easy and cheap to make so why not! They add lots of vitamins to the diet. If your dog hates dairy, try the canned sardine or salmon trick, My dogs will literally jump through fire to get a hold of anything fishy!!!!

http://b-naturals.com/Dec2005.php all of the newsletters are very informative
http://www.dogaware.com/dogfeeding.html this site is amazing too. There are tons of links for nutrition

·
Registered
4 Posts
We use the rew diet made by sit stay...buy @ www.sitstay.com. It comes very neat and clean in great packaging! A bit expensive but very easy to handle.

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
momofava said:
We use the rew diet made by sit stay...buy @ www.sitstay.com. It comes very neat and clean in great packaging! A bit expensive but very easy to handle.
When I clicked on the site, I only saw the Nature's Variety Patties. Is this what you are feeding? The quality on that stuff is supposed to be one of the best. It is really expensive though, especially when you're feeding big dogs! :lol:

·
Registered
4 Posts
yes...you click on the eadibles link and then go to the raw patties. they offer several types. Ava's favorites are the beef and chicken. She eats 2 patties each day...one in am and the next around 6pm. When you order a full order it is about $115.oo. You receive in great packaging four sleeves of patties. They come in tube shaped zip lock bags packed in insulated box with dry ice. Each tube contains 12 patties=48 per shipment. So for one dog at 40 lbs it lasts 24 days. By the recommendations Ava needs about 1.5 patties per day, but 2 does her great! Patties are kept in freezer and we thaw in fridge a week at a time. I transfer patties to sandwich zip lock bags as I go for single serving size and ease with meals. Ava was having severe allergy problems...breaking out with what we termed "puppy chicken pox" due to environmental allergies and her ears were always yucky inside. Her eyes would get really swollen and she even had 2 allergic reactions to two different doses of allergy shots. No more episodes since we started her on this diet and our vet really likes it based on nutrition it provides. Occationally she gets a taste of people food but we always take her portion out before we spice our food as she is allergic to soy and it is in so many things! Good luck...the transition was very easy to the raw food. She was on dry Science Diet before and had no issues changing to this diet!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I use Bravo. www.bravorawdiet.com I find it has the best meat sources (murrays chicken, hormone and antibiotic free beef) for the best prices.

I can get chicken backs in bulk and I've purchased five pound bags of beef trim and green tripe and even buckets of pork hearts but the bother and mess of thawing and repackaging changed my mind!!

There are co-ops in a lot of areas where you can combine orders with others to get the best prices.

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
This thread is soooo interesting! I have a processing plant nearby I wonder if I could get meat parts from the guy who owns and operates it. He has been a family friend for years.... Is there any meat that is NOT healthy for dogs to eat?

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
Rachel Zugg said:
This thread is soooo interesting! I have a processing plant nearby I wonder if I could get meat parts from the guy who owns and operates it. He has been a family friend for years.... Is there any meat that is NOT healthy for dogs to eat?
I've heard of a lot of people going directly to processing plants to buy trim at really low prices. My dogs really prefer Bravo to Nature's Variety. I'm happy about that too because the price is much better. It doesn't have any smell to it either.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
My dogs eat the raw/BARF diet and I make it fresh a couple of times per week. I portion it and freeze it. I have tried Dr. Billinghursts premade patties in the past. They were really convenient and all, but it was cheaper just to make it myself. To cut costs I just buy what veggies are on sale. I've got plenty of fruit trees around, so I really don't buy fruit. Meat are the tough one, though. I only buy lean meats, and not just what's on sale, so that can get fairly expensive.

Here's my feeding routine:

I make a mixture of meat, veggies, fruits, offal/green tripe, and egg yolks (sometimes). This is mixed in the food processor, and forms the base of the meal. I make about enough for a week at a time, and freeze the portions. The dogs eat twice a day, and with every meal get about 2 cups of this mixture in addition to other foods. The other foods are varied, and may consist of canned sardines or anchovies (in water), raw meaty bones (chicken wings, turkey neck, quail, beef ribs, etc.), cottage cheese or yoghurt, raw fruits, raw veggies, raw green tripe, raw offal (gizzards & hearts), or cubed meats.

If you're thinking if switching to the raw diet, just remember that variety is very important. Don't feed just one type of anything. And green tripe is probably the most beneficial item in the diet.

I would suggest you read Dr. Billinghurst's book "The BARF Diet" if you will be making your own food. There are some foods, like onions and excess cabbage family veggies, that you should avoid and the book expains it all, and has sample meals in the back.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts