Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone use a Martingale collar? I have to get some form of control collar for Loki and I was thinking of trying one of these before a prong. I don't have any experience with them though. But I do know that they will not harm a dogs neck like a traditional choke collar does.

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
I have one for Dozer, honestly I don't see a difference between that and his regular collar, he will push against it. I think it was just a waste of money. I know a couple people that it has worked for, they had labs, and a sheltie, so no bullies that I know of. I sure it will work for some, but just not for me.

I LOVE the prong, Dozer won't even touch the end of the leash.

·
Registered
5,272 Posts
kogeki, nuthin beats proper training. martingales, halti's, gentle leaders, prong collars ect. ect, ect if you have proper training into your pup you need none of these gadgets to make your dog behave. who the heck wants to dress the dog up before going for a walk?!?

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
attitude said:
kogeki, nuthin beats proper training. martingales, halti's, gentle leaders, prong collars ect. ect, ect if you have proper training into your pup you need none of these gadgets to make your dog behave. who the heck wants to dress the dog up before going for a walk?!?
I agree with this but in certain situations that extra step was needed. Like mine for instance... I got Kate when she was 9 months old and technically she had never been on a walk before. We took her to training and she still pulled. After about 3 months we got her the prong and after about 5-6 months on the prong, she was trained. So it is still a form of training if used properly. Now she walks wonderfully with her regular collar on.

So as long as you are not using the prong or another collar for that matter as an excuse not to train but more as an alternative, another method, then go for it!

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I would say that Loki is pretty well trained and listens with most things, but she pulls quite a bit. She pulls excessively when she gets excited. My hope is to use a prong or something like that to get her to not pull, then eventually not have to use it. I know others have done this. As of right now, my girlfriend cant even walk her because she is so strong.

·
Registered
8,671 Posts
I say forget about the Martingale and go right to the prong. That being said, I do agree with attitude though, nothing beats good training. A good foundation is very important. Use the collar to reinforce only, not as a teaching tool. I have 2 bulldogs, one a hard, mature male who did not have a good obedience foundation, the other a female with a good foundation. I use a prong collar for both to enforce commands. Even my female whom is quite soft in comparison to Rosco, needs a good correction from a prong once in a while. I think bulldogs need something like that...even with the best of training. If a bulldog can't take a prong correction it ain't a good bulldog!

·
Registered
5,272 Posts
kogeki said:
I would say that Loki is pretty well trained and listens with most things, but she pulls quite a bit. She pulls excessively when she gets excited. My hope is to use a prong or something like that to get her to not pull, then eventually not have to use it. I know others have done this. As of right now, my girlfriend cant even walk her because she is so strong.
if she "pulls quite a bit" then she is not trained, now is she?

·
Registered
11,423 Posts
attitude said:
kogeki said:
C'mon, now. Let's not turn this into a finger pointing session. No one's dogs are perfect.

We use the prongs as well. I would never walk Chopper without it because he's very driven. If he something were to happen, say for instance a dog runs across the street, he'd be gone with out it! I look at it as a little extra insurance! :wink:

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
attitude said:
kogeki said:
Atitude, you are very correct, she is not perfectly trained. Although I never stated that she was, thank you for bringing it to my attention.

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Lisa said:
If a bulldog can't take a prong correction it ain't a good bulldog!
I have no problem using a prong whatsoever. She can definately take a prong correction. No doubt about that one. I've come to the conclusion that she doesnt feel any pain, lol. I was just curious if the martingale is effective or not. I thought maybe it could be because it applies equal pressure unlike a choke.

·
Registered
5,272 Posts
"C'mon, now. Let's not turn this into a finger pointing session. No one's dogs are perfect. "

i was not "pointing fingers" and my dogs are far from perfect as well
BUT,
that said a dog that "pulls quite a bit" even under a direct command isn't properly trained.
my dogs will act like complete retards but when they are told to "heel" THAT is what they do.
as for using all the gizmo's and gadgets to get a dog to behave i don't believe in it. that includes a pinch collar. pinch collars for me are for "fine tuning" a dog or advanced training NOT for basics. the only time this differs is in an older dog/rescue situation where the dog is large and unruley. and by "large" i mean 60lbs +

·
Registered
5,272 Posts
whatever, you know i am more than qualified to answer training questions as i am a certified trainer and have over twelve years (and numerous titles) of experience under my belt, but i will stay out of this section of the board as it would seem people just want quick fixes and gimmicks instead of proper training and good manners

·
Registered
576 Posts
Oh, I think you're more qualified to be rude.
I don't know what the heck you're qualified in if you actually think that you need to point out to us that a dog with more training than not will perform better on a leash. We're not idiots.

·
Registered
576 Posts
And by the way, no dog becomes "fully trained" in one minute. Heaven forbid that someone would want to use a collar to help them while their dog is being trained.

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
The majority of "qualified trainers" Do you prong collars. They are a very helpfull training tool.

I compare this to using a bit in a horses mouth. There are some trainers out there that say, you need nothing other then a halter to control a horse. True, but a bit is helpfull, and great for fine tunning.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
I have never used a prong collar and I don't think I ever would. I guess all situations are different. I have had pretty good luck with our dogs. When I taught all of our dogs to walk on a lead if they ever pulled my arm I would sternly say no, and wrap the lead around my hand till they only had a couple inches of play. Then when it was slack for a bit I'd say good girl and let it go. It could be comletely wrong, but I have never had a problem walking any of my dogs. If they saw a cat or squirrel they would go stiff and want to run, but would never pull me. Maybe we're just lucky! :)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.